Can It Really Be True?

i Think ake's vox on the swedish song are >>>>> than bridge of sighs but then again, there latest song the throat of winter is imo their worst song ever. so long as it sounds nothing like that im good. damnation v2 would be bitchn

Nah, we're disappointed because they aren't making as good of music in our opinions. Counterexample: Ecailles wasn't Souvenirs 2, but it was still teh awesome despite having a lot of hype in some circles.

good point :), i was just saying in general though, i get that feeling from some people.
At first i was disappointed it wasnt souveniers 2 ;), but now i love it, the (re)added black metal vocals are well above average :)

i also see your point about his disjointed songs :p, sometimes that gets to me a little bit. but i respect his ambition towards orginality/experimentation
but i also got started on ghost reveries (and subsequently went all the way back, MAYH is my favorite album now.....or maybe BWP), so maybe thats why i still like it haha

i Think ake's vox on the swedish song are >>>>> than bridge of sighs but then again, there latest song the throat of winter is imo their worst song ever. so long as it sounds nothing like that im good. damnation v2 would be bitchn

Yeah, i listened to that song on youtube when it first came out and it is pure crap. I mean what's with the gay horses running sound he uses? I like his attempt at using some middle-eastern type vibes with his new songs, i just wish an entire song would truly encompass those ideas, instead of going into "just another" bland metal riff like he does on watershed. But there are some good "middle-eastern" type ideas on both watershed and ghost reveries, i just don't feel like it delivers.

Yea, if he actually focused a whole song on an idea, it wouldn't turn out so poorly. But hoping that he would have such a focus is just foolish at this point, considering he's stated himself he's basically tired of fluid songwriting.

You seriously think this is some new phase? Mike has been writing "disjointed" songs since Orchid. I seem to remember an old interview where he stated song structures were always the most troublesome part of the process. Also that he writes that way because it's most natural to him.

If I knew this would turn into the generic "new Opeth suxorz" thread #999, I would have never made it. Instead I would have made a "new Katatonia/PT/Opeth sucks balls" thread, and saved us the trouble of making a new thread ever again.

he pushed me over at the twentth anniversery concert when he ask the crowd "on a scale of one to ten, what do you give that one?" (april etheral) everyone raises both there hands "a ten? id give it...... a 2, (!!!!?!!!) when i wrote it i gave it like a 50 out of ten." ya hes getting more in touch with that 70's prog style hes always worshiping imo, im not saying its bad, i just love O P E T H, epic progessive death metal, he just think metals gone to shit i think.

yeah, ill always love opeth, i understand why some people don't like them (lunacy), but when i first heard them (and even now) i thought them totally original, never heard a thing like it. those always end up being my favorite bands (agalloch, comus, ulver, old metallica, old megadeth, etc etc)

personally, im excited for this project

You seriously think this is some new phase? Mike has been writing "disjointed" songs since Orchid. I seem to remember an old interview where he stated song structures were always the most troublesome part of the process. Also that he writes that way because it's most natural to him.

If I knew this would turn into the generic "new Opeth suxorz" thread #999, I would have never made it. Instead I would have made a "new Katatonia/PT/Opeth sucks balls" thread, and saved us the trouble of making a new thread ever again.

I'm not saying it's a new phase but if you don't agree that it's getting worse from where he was at in their middle era, then I don't know what you're hearing.

Chill out brah! we're all simpily stating that we are worried about the direction of this project with the leading members main choice of music is, i still think its on topic.

It's an entirely new project so I don't personally see the need to be "worried." Also I don't think you get it's his choice to make, and not yours. I can only speak for myself, but I know when I created the thread I intended for the topic to be more productive than going in circles with the same exact criticisms from the same exact posters. Perhaps I'm a cynical bastard too, but there comes a time to move on. I can simply remove myself from the conversation, and leave you to your own devices.

It's an entirely new project so I don't personally see the need to be "worried." Also I don't think you get it's his choice to make, and not yours. I can only speak for myself, but I know when I created the thread I intended for the topic to be more productive than going in circles with the same exact criticisms from the same exact posters. Perhaps I'm a cynical bastard too, but there comes a time to move on. I can simply remove myself from the conversation, and leave you to your own devices.

Sometimes people on forums go soooooo far to try and prove that their opinion is right when it is only a subjective viewpoint, and not a fact! When someone goes too far trying to prove 'why' they are worried or right, it sometimes just means they should just leave it alone or be more open-minded (and also accept that no matter how right they think they may be, they cannot possibly understand someone else's tastes because they are not that person and have not lived their life)! We forget this all too easily most of the time, myself included. It's nice when people can disagree and still be respectful and open-minded, unlike the politicians we am surrounded by in America!