can someone help w/ impulse latency?

meadows.83

Jan 20, 2007
Westerville, OH
What's up guys? So I finally got impulses to work properly last night and I got some huge sounds with my cobra going straight in. I kept messing around with different impulse files and then I started noticing some latency that totally ruined it for me. I didn't notice it at first, so is it possible that some impulses have litle to no latency, and others have a good amount of it? If so, is there something I can look for (like the size of the .wav file) that would let me know which impulses are likely to have low latency? Can someone on here help me out with taming this latency? I'm using a motu ultralite (which has never given me any latency issues), LA Convolver for Mac, and I have all of Guitarhack's and Splat88's impulses.

Ok, please don't kill me on this one, but can someone recommend a free/cheap RTAS convolution plugin for mac? I assume Pro Tools can't open plugins in the AU format so I guess that rules out LA Convolver...

Ok, please don't kill me on this one, but can someone recommend a free/cheap RTAS convolution plugin for mac? I assume Pro Tools can't open plugins in the AU format so I guess that rules out LA Convolver...

I tried searching for you, but it looks like the cheapest one is the waves ir-1 at $299. I couldn't find a free one, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You may need a wrapper/converter to convert some other format to rtas.

I didn't notice it at first, so is it possible that some impulses have litle to no latency, and others have a good amount of it? If so, is there something I can look for (like the size of the .wav file) that would let me know which impulses are likely to have low latency? Can someone on here help me out with taming this latency?
Yes, it is possible that some impulse responses (IR) have longer latency.
When you open an IR wav file with an audio editor you will notice that it consists of peak and tail that fades out. The time-distance between the beginning of the file and the peak is actually the latency of the IR. You can easily get rid of it by simply removing it.

Yes, it is possible that some impulse responses (IR) have longer latency.
When you open an IR wav file with an audio editor you will notice that it consists of peak and tail that fades out. The time-distance between the beginning of the file and the peak is actually the latency of the IR. You can easily get rid of it by simply removing it.

Cool. This is very helpful. I was actually messing around with them again today and I didn't really seem to get that much latency. But if I encounter that problem again, I'll definitely cut the excess time off. Thanks!

Well actually, I did a search after I posted that and found Exocaster's recommendation of this baby - haven't tried it yet as this research is for a friend of mine who uses a mac, but it looks great, so maybe you'd be interested! Thanks though dude!