Can you help me with growl vocals?

Mellon

melancholic melon
Aug 19, 2002
Europe
www.malinconic.com
I play guitar and sing.
I used to do it in a band but now we broke up.
I'd like to form a death-doom metal band,but I always singed with clean voice, and I wish to learn how to sing in growl without loose my voice after a song.
There is a specific tecnique?
If anyone can help me, please let me know.:p

TNX.

Mellon said:
I play guitar and sing.
I used to do it in a band but now we broke up.
I'd like to form a death-doom metal band,but I always singed with clean voice, and I wish to learn how to sing in growl without loose my voice after a song.
There is a specific tecnique?
If anyone can help me, please let me know.:p

TNX.

I have the same question me and my mate want to start a death metal band. I want to do vocals (growl :p ). so yea can anyone help us?

If you would be willing to get a voice coach, that's the way to go. I myself would like to learn the growl technique.

Beer is cheaper and more fun. Also, I don't know what it would be like to walk up to a voice coach and say "hey coach, teach me to growl properly". He'd probably think you were joking, or insane.

I sing in an electro dark metal band (THE NIGHTSHADE). When I started,, my voice was awful (hey, maybe it still is) :p ALASTIS singer gave me some advice: you have to use the air in your stomach as well as your lungs. I know it sounds odd but it works... You will be more powerful if you push the air from your belly. Just try...

I know that if you sing with your belly you are more powerfull with the voice. But I knew that this goes only for clean vocals, because when I try sing with growls, after two minutes, my throat begin to ache.

I guess myself....is there a throath position for do it better?

My throat also ached when I started. But after five years of growlings, it doesn't cause lots of trouble anymore. :)
Think it comes with time and practice...

I don't have a partucular position of the throat when I growl... Don't know for other growlers around the world.

Anyway a bit of promo: go and visit our Website!

www.nightshadeweb.com :headbang:

dammit, just keep growling even if it hurts. the pain will most likely go away if you keep practicing either by numbing the part that hurts, but more likely because your throat naturally adjusts to it, especially when you learn to push the air from your diaphram. do you seriously think there is a tutorial out there to help with this? possibly, but I doubt it just like I doubt there any professional voice coaches that would be of any help. just go with my original advice: beer. not only does it help, but there is no pain when your drunk :D

good luck.

if it hurts, you are doing something wrong, dont keep growling when your throat starts to hurt.
first of all dont start to growl without warming up. just like every part of your body, your throat also needs to ready itself, before beginning to work under extreme pressure. before every practice hum imitating the engine of a car or an angry dog(ok, I started sounding funny, but this is really my method). try to make every hum longer than the previous one. if you start to feel comfortable with these hums, start do growl in a very very deep voice. growl louder and louder as you start to feel comfortable. Practicing will help, but stop growling immediately when your throat starts to hurt, wait for next day and in your next practice, try to find the method which is healthy for your voice. I hope you guys can understand my English.

Actually that is a good tip. I never really used any of these tips, though it probably would have been better if I did.

I am the type of person that prefers to sing to songs, so I just started growling trying to imitate the singers. Now my voice is pretty diverse. I have my own growling, I can sound like Set'H, my Avatar, from Septic Flesh (his vocals are fucking incredible!), I can sound like Novy from Devilyn (anyone who has heard Devilyn, especially "Artefact", knows that his vocals are sick and if you can pull it off you deserve credit), I can sound like Drahos Gabris/Dragon from Depresy, and I can sound like Mikeal from Opeth at times. I can also sound like a very select few other singers from bands I like.

My only problem with this is that my black metal vocals and clean vocals almost completely suck now since I have focused on death growling. So this is something you take the risk of losing if you plan to become a death vocal singer.

I used to be in a few bands always as a singer and once as bass/singer, but they never really went anywhere. The most recent band I was in was with two good friends on guitars who had real talent, and a sick as fuck drummer! That band is in a coma now, hopefully one day we will start it up again. I never wrote music before, but I do have I many ideas-I do write a lot of lyrics though!

I am dying to learn guitar! I should have learned 10 years ago when I first became interested in music and guitars, but money was tight so I never got one. And I still don't have a guitar! DAMN!

Shogonaut said:
I can sound like Set'H, my Avatar, from Septic Flesh (his vocals are fucking incredible!)
then you are one fucking talented person, in my not so humble opinion. the most i can do is to imitate abbath`s (immortal) vocals, at least i`m good at that. but when it comes to mikael or even shagrath -- i`m out of line, in fact shamefully weak... i hope to be able to do something like jonas did in his lord seth-times.. :D

The fact that Shagrath has distortion on his vocals a bit helps... back of the throat people, start out at low volume, and at least for me starting with a lower death growl and working my way up to a screech helped.