Can you use a guitar preamp for bass ?

Kingliar

Jun 17, 2006
Hello all,

I tried searching the forum first but I couldn't get a clear answer....

Can use use a guitar preamp, in this case the Mesa Boogie recording pre, for bass ?

Cheers,

You can, it can sound pretty amazing for grit. But in my experience you need a DI/bass amp track to blend it with.

Thanks guys!!!

But it won't hurt my preamp ?

Cheers,

In no way will it hurt your pre. Only reason people don't use guitar amps for bass more often is the guitar speakers often can't take the low end being pushed so hard. All the electrics will not be hurt, just the speakers.

I often use the clean channel of my Haflter T2 pre for bass. Sounds nice with some basses.

Seems like a lot of great distorted bass sounds are the result of reamping with a guitar amp rather than bass amp.
Preamp will be completely fine, can see no reason why it would get damaged.

Blacky from Voivod gets his signature sound w/a Marshall 9001 guitar tube preamp into the input (yep, not the loop's return) of an ampeg or old acoustic bass amp. Sounds awesome.

My bassplayer uses a Peavey Rockmaster ---> input of an ampeg svt2 pro. Nut-shaking and crunchy.
For some reason, on bass amps, hooking the preamp right into the power section doesn't work that good. Sounds like blasphemy, but cascading both preamps works wonders.

For recording you'll also want to capture a clean DI for a neat and solid low end (low-passed)

Jay Maas records a bass through a 5150 (previously owned by Aerosmith) through a bass cab.
It's on the last Dead Swans and Counterparts full-lengths - sounds good to my ears.