Don't Have a HiZ input :( Can i use my amp's preamp? Help.

hkollner

Oct 5, 2008
Hi there,

So I don't have a Hi-z input on my sound card.. And need to get good quality DI's.

Currently I've got a peavey valve king.
So what I was wondering is to use the send as a preamp into my interface and then into TSEx50.

Basically the send outputs the preamp signal before it hits the power amp!
so its like a preamp then right?

I've tried it and sounds okay but weird. The amp is on the clean channel with all dials at 12 o'clock. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

The reason for it sounding weird is that it sounds super clangy like there's to much gain going to the ampsim but still lacking sustain.

Help would kindly be appreciated :Spin:

Well when you think about it, would you normally come out of the fx send of your amp and run it into the front of another amp? No. You're going to be getting unwanted colouration from the preamp of your Valveking.
The most transparent signal you'll be able to get will be if you actually set your bass/middle/treble to maximum, as most guitar amps have passive eq,.

Really though if you want good quality DI's then you need to either get a DI box to run before the mic input on your interface, or get a new interface that has a hi-z input.

Well when you think about it, would you normally come out of the fx send of your amp and run it into the front of another amp? No. You're going to be getting unwanted colouration from the preamp of your Valveking.
The most transparent signal you'll be able to get will be if you actually set your bass/middle/treble to maximum, as most guitar amps have passive eq,.

Really though if you want good quality DI's then you need to either get a DI box to run before the mic input on your interface, or get a new interface that has a hi-z input.

Thanks for the info and quick response man! :worship:

What does passive eq mean? And why would one get the most transparent sound when setting everything to max?

I've got a Boss DI box lying around though. Just thought that the Amp's preamp would be better as it's made for guitar amplification.

superficial explanation:
An passive EQ only make cuts in your signal..it can remove some level from specific frequenzies it is designed for. An active EQ can also boost the signal.

technical:
passive: simple circuits using capacitors, coils and a resistor which is here a variable potentiometer (your knob). Doesn't need a voltage source.
active: the circuit has additionally an OpAmp.it's an active electronic component which needs a voltage source. throuh this device voltages can be amplified and the result is a boost in a frequency..

still amateurish explained^^

so when you have an passive eq and you set every knob to max then your signal will not be edited through the EQ section. you will have the "original" sound.

when you want to use the amp simulation on the computer then you have to take your DI box between guitar and audio interface. Or take your real amp and go out from the preamp out /fx send straigt into your sound card and than use only impulses (cabinet simulation instead of whole amp simulation).

superficial explanation:
An passive EQ only make cuts in your signal..it can remove some level from specific frequenzies it is designed for. An active EQ can also boost the signal.

technical:
passive: simple circuits using capacitors, coils and a resistor which is here a variable potentiometer (your knob). Doesn't need a voltage source.
active: the circuit has additionally an OpAmp.it's an active electronic component which needs a voltage source. throuh this device voltages can be amplified and the result is a boost in a frequency..

still amateurish explained^^

so when you have an passive eq and you set every knob to max then your signal will not be edited through the EQ section. you will have the "original" sound.

when you want to use the amp simulation on the computer then you have to take your DI box between guitar and audio interface. Or take your real amp and go out from the preamp out /fx send straigt into your sound card and then use only impulses (cabinet simulation instead of whole amp simulation).

Ah okay cool. Now I understand.

So you are saying that I should be fine setting everything to max, then using the FX send? So I wont get any unwanted preamp coloration as explained by Trevoire520?

Will it be better to use the FX send or DI box? My logic tells me that the FX Send outputs the preamp signal thats specifically made for amplifying guitar whereas the DI box is not specifically made for guitar but rather for general instruments. So which is better?

Can I still use the FX Send into my interface > AMPSIM > impulse?
or must it be interface > impulse?

Thanks For the Reply :)

1) If you want to use the TSEx50 then you CAN'T use your Valveking.
You have to go like this: Guitar -> DI-Box -> Interface/Soundcard -> DAW -> TSEx50 + Impulse (Amp Simulation + Cab SImulation)

2) If you want the sound from your Valveking..forget the TSEx50 and go like this:
Guitar -> Valveking -> PreampOut/Fx-Send (doesn't matter which one) -> Interface/Soundcard -> DAW -> Impulse (Cab Simulation)
And if you do this. DON'T take off your real speaker from the amp. It needs a load so that the amp doesn't get hurt. And if you don't want to do this choose alternative 1) from above.

Additionaly: A DI-Box is designed to match the Hi-IMpedance from Guitars to low-impedances from pc-audio hardware like audio interfaces.

1) If you want to use the TSEx50 then you CAN'T use your Valveking.
You have to go like this: Guitar -> DI-Box -> Interface/Soundcard -> DAW -> TSEx50 + Impulse (Amp Simulation + Cab SImulation)

2) If you want the sound from your Valveking..forget the TSEx50 and go like this:
Guitar -> Valveking -> PreampOut/Fx-Send (doesn't matter which one) -> Interface/Soundcard -> DAW -> Impulse (Cab Simulation)
And if you do this. DON'T take off your real speaker from the amp. It needs a load so that the amp doesn't get hurt. And if you don't want to do this choose alternative 1) from above.

Additionaly: A DI-Box is designed to match the Hi-IMpedance from Guitars to low-impedances from pc-audio hardware like audio interfaces.

THanks man! I tested all option and stuck with the DI box(BOSS DI-1)! sounded the best.