ENGL Blackmore as preamp?

MarkG

Feb 15, 2009
Netherlands
Did a search and nothing came up. Has anyone here tried to use the ENGL Blackmore as a preamp for recording using impulses?

I'm basically trying to figure out if its worth getting a $200 interface to record my ENGL blackmore preamp out, or if I should stick to revalver, amplitube, wagner and the likes.

I want to get better recording tone that the boss GT-8 modelling has to offer. I'm not sure if I can get into proper micing anytime soon because I can't crank the amp in my appartment, so I'm guessing the Blackmore preamp output should get me very close. Stick to sims? Or will the ENGL Blackmore preamp output offer much better sound.

- side question: What sounds better, micing an amp at low volumes or impulses?

I don't have an interface. I had a toneport GX but it died. I haven't been able to make any recordings since the GX died, and I've only discovered impulses recently. No interface to record anything.

I've been experimenting with some DI tracks I found online, along with a 5150 preamp track sora gave me. It gave me a rough indication of how things could sound....but sora mentioned the Blackmore might not respond to impulses well. I already have a thread up for recommending me a new interface, which was extremely helpful. The people posting there helped me figure out which interface I should go for. But only IF the outcome of this thread is positive. I'm reluctant to buy a $200 interface if my Blackmore won't react to impulses well. Then I could just as well get another shitty toneport for DI tracks.

*edit*

I found at least one person who's recorded the Blackmore for impulse use.
http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?section=amp&value=Engl Blackmore&offset=0&display=10

That took away my concerns:D