Cheap but effective interface

Goodness why would you run impulses off such a fine head? Don't get it...

I don't have the money for decent microphones, nor can I crank my amp in my room but I would like decent recordings. I figured recording the Blackmore preamp, then running impulses for the cab would be a good idea. The inferface I'm going to buy will have XLR inputs, so I'll have the option of micing in the future.

Right now I'm looking into the

Tascam US-122 suggested by sphykik
Line6 studiopod UX2
M-audio Fasttrack pro

ideas or recommendations?

Eternally_gutted, if you continue jacking this thread I may have to bite you -_-

Presonus Audiobox USB without a doubt dude - The Line 6 drivers SUCK for low-latency recording if you're not using gearbox, M-Audio just builds low quality unreliable hardware in general, and I don't know anything about the Tascam, so it's an unknown factor. But the Presonus has great drivers, is built solid, and I'd imagine sounds pretty durn good given the brand's reputation for bang for your buck (Firepod and Digimax come to mind). Of course, firewire will always be better; since your on a laptop, a good PCMCIA (or expresscard, which is faster but can come loose from the slot SO fucking easily :mad: ) FW card with a TI chipset will be ~$40, and a Mackie Onyx Satellite (I use it and it rules) ~$160. Or, if your budget is higher, the Presonus Firebox gives you more than two inputs

breaking it down: the BEST thing to do is just stick with what u have for now. you are not gaining anything really until you get a fw card and interface! joey does this with a excellent fw interface that he uses to monitor his mixes and probably re amps through the interface. because it is a fire wire interface monitoring has very low latency and he has all kinds of routing options for reamping, sending to outboard , ect. in your case you would be better waiting and saving! do you have monitors? or do you just use computer speakers?

take it from someone who has, like most of us here, spent lots of money on things that really were worthless cause i never read up on shit, and understood why i really needed it.

im sure the pod is adequate for what u are doing now, when you get monitors, a fw card (or most likely a new comp with better specs) then get a decent fw sound card. its 2009, i would NEVER record with a usb interface (i would just fuckin plug my guitar right into the back of the computer, ive gotten decent results like this!!)

DONT DO IT!!!
peace

breaking it down: the BEST thing to do is just stick with what u have for now. you are not gaining anything really until you get a fw card and interface! joey does this with a excellent fw interface that he uses to monitor his mixes and probably re amps through the interface. because it is a fire wire interface monitoring has very low latency and he has all kinds of routing options for reamping, sending to outboard , ect. in your case you would be better waiting and saving! do you have monitors? or do you just use computer speakers?

take it from someone who has, like most of us here, spent lots of money on things that really were worthless cause i never read up on shit, and understood why i really needed it.

im sure the pod is adequate for what u are doing now, when you get monitors, a fw card (or most likely a new comp with better specs) then get a decent fw sound card. its 2009, i would NEVER record with a usb interface (i would just fuckin plug my guitar right into the back of the computer, ive gotten decent results like this!!)

DONT DO IT!!!
peace

Thank you, I appreciate your input. The thing is, I am currently without any interface of any kind. I was using a line6 toneport GX before, but it crapped out on me. So stick with what I have currently = absolutely nothing. It hurts, I used to record a lot. I tended to use the GX just for DI recordings and did the rest with VST stuff. When I got lazy I used gearbox though,

To answer some of your questions I'm using an acer aspire 3620 laptop which is pretty old. Not sure if it has a firewire bay. Onboard soundcard is shitty at best, and I'm using computer speakers/headphones to monitor. I did double the ram on the laptop with some expansion chips.

I guess this leads me to the following questions.

1. How do I tell if my laptop can handle firewire
2. If it can...I suppose a E-mu 1212m would do the trick how? would I hook it up to my laptop?

In all honesty though, at this point I am fairly certain a USB interface is the way to go for me. Seems to be a lot less hassle, just plug the fucker in and play. I'm 100% open to any advice and suggestions I can get my claws on though.

If I wait it out for a month, my budget would be 150-200 bucks. Currently its at about 100 bucks.

Metaltastic, that audiobox looks great, its cheaper than the M-audio and line 6 too. I couldn't find if it has a 1/4 line level input though.

Haha, ok, let me rephrase - I'm referring only to their cheap products, both from personal experience and reviews I've read, that are crappy - sorry Profire owners! :wave: :D

Metaltastic, that audiobox looks great, its cheaper than the M-audio and line 6 too. I couldn't find if it has a 1/4 line level input though.

Yeah, I'm not certain; it has the combo jacks on the front, but I think the 1/4" inputs are only for high impedance guitar signals, so you would just have to use a TRS-XLR cable from your Blackmore FX send into one of the mic inputs on the audio box and keep the gain at zero (supplying the level from your amp), which would be exactly the same as if it had a line-in!

And as for firewire, even if your computer has a firewire jack already, I wouldn't even consider using it, since every laptop has a PCMCIA slot (and most have an expresscard slot) so you could get one of those cards with a FW port and a TI chipset.

And as for firewire, even if your computer has a firewire jack already, I wouldn't even consider using it, since every laptop has a PCMCIA slot (and most have an expresscard slot) so you could get one of those cards with a FW port and a TI chipset.

+1. It's worth a try, though - with some luck it might work perfectly. I've had a non-TI FW chip on one PC and it worked flawlessly with my old Firepod, but you might not be that lucky :/

The laptop has 4 PCMIA slots.

With a budget of $200, knowing my position what would you get considering USB, firewire and PCMIA slot possibilities?

At the moment that presonus with an XLR cable is looking really good, but if there are better alternatives within 200 bucks I'm listening.

hmmm if you saved up 100 beanos more you could get this http://www.electronicadirect.com/insidepage.php3?sid=i3grwlqvoq7956m&id=1009602 the presonus firebox.

but if you have nothing, then def. do wat u need to, to get riffin again bro!
i was under the impression you could still use the old pod!
the tone port is decent for under 100 bucks! then just save after that if you want a bit better set up! dont sink too much into an interface unless you plan to go firewire!
peace

The laptop has 4 PCMIA slots.

With a budget of $200, knowing my position what would you get considering USB, firewire and PCMIA slot possibilities?

At the moment that presonus with an XLR cable is looking really good, but if there are better alternatives within 200 bucks I'm listening.

My setup - Mackie Onyx Satellite and TI chipset PCMCIA FW card!