CANAAN - "Contro.Luce" - Reviews

let's start in style...

KOGAIONON MAGAZINE

98% !!!!!!

CANAAN (IT)-"Contro.Luce" CD'11
(EIBON/AURAL)

People, if you haven't listened to anything interesting lately, it's time you get ready for the sixth CANAAN album, out on the 15th of January ! It is a real musical jewel. But let's see the way I present the Italian quintet's latest compositions, because I don't want to puzzle one or another... the ones who know how to feast on CANAAN definitely know RAS ALGETHI... and their phenomenal album released many many years ago... So, the ones expecting something Dark from CANAAN might be slightly disappointed, but this could relate to the ones who want to listen the same musical style even 20 years after, the same timbre fixed between classical limits and that's it. It was normal for the Italians to release something else, especially when their project was always something innovative and hard to assimilate with other bands. But when I say it is not Dark, I don't mean it is Light... It's another approach of the Dark's dimension, a more complex one, which takes us through different influences, from Cold Wave and Ambient to Experimental and even Ethno. It is by far the most varied CANAAN material, but also the most avant-gardes, even though the word cosmopolitan would have sounded better. And for the first time, the texts are in Italian, which I find very appropriate and authentic, perfect for this genre's debonair aura.
For the ones who haven't listened to something like that so far, it means that the surprise will be big, for they have no expectations... but curiosities... well, there must be the will to discover atypical lands, lacking any slice of standardization or stylistic classification. It is no secret that I was, am and will be an unconditional CANAAN fan... I was "struck" by Mauro's music over 15 years ago and I enjoyed the fact that what he and his team created engendered me an unique state, from meditation and isolation to nostalgia or cold melancholy...
The musicians did not disclaim now either, the accomplished material being, probably, their entire history's clearest shape of maturity and inspiration... The album runs slightly over 70 minutes, 21 songs, half of them being the eternal ambient interludes, which now have more color and melodic shape, making a better team with the so-called songs, damn well designed ! "Noia" and "Onore" are two songs as expressive as sorrowful and streaming of frozen melody. Actually, the album begins with a very atmospheric and friendly song, "Calma", then everything takes a hostile form to all superficial ears... The album becomes more and more complicated, introverted as message, here and there broken by different melodic interferences led by an ample keyboard and arrhythmic battery. The voice shows us that it could sound awfully strange, "Terrore" being a perfect example for the tangles the five wanted to express. We easely breathe on "Ragione", a very calm and atmospheric piece that reminds me of RAS ALGETHI, only that the normal voice seems too normal... After an Ethno interlude, "Oblio" makes its presence, a song on which all instruments are perfectly perceived, including the voices that now are varied, multiple and spectacular... "Lascivia", "Umiltu" and "Concupiscenza" emphasize much on the Ambient and Experimental combination, with many percussion references. We then wake up arriving at "Esitazione", a shamanic song that throws us into another dimension, equally odd and mystical. The album ends with a songs as melancholic as romantic, where the guitars seem to communicate perfectly with the constantly used keyboard, somehow overshadowing the fabulously sounding voices!
One over another, an album which made me forget completely about daily worries. And now I see that in the last 3 hours a significant layer of snow settled and it is still snowing... It's clear that I have to refill my glass of Chianti and turn on to another CANAAN listening... the weather helps me, the environment is favorable, the music, as always, sublime ! Damn beautiful!
0.98/1
http://www.myspace.com/kanaanian

http://www.schwarze-news.de/2010/12/05/canaan-–-contro-luce-review-und-kritik/

Hatten sich Mauro und seine Mannen in den letzten Jahren eher ihrem Dark-Ambient Projekt Neronoia gewidmet, so haben sie sich doch nach 4 Jahren Pause von Canaan nun wieder ans Werk gemacht. “The Unsaid Words”, das letzte Album auf dem der italienische Fünfer zu hören war, empfing ja durchaus positive Kritiken, und ob Neronoia nun nur pausieren oder für auf Eis gelegt wurden, scheint neimand so genau zu wissen. Was liegt da also näher, als wieder unter dem Namen Canaan Musik aufzunehmen? Dachten sich die Jungs wohl auch, dabei sind 71 Minuten Tonmaterial herausgekommen, die nun im Hause Eibon Records kompakt gepresst und hier eingehend rezensiert werden.
Schon beim ersten aufmerksamen Hören fallen hier die Parallelen zwischen beiden oben genannten Formationen auf, und böse Zungen könnten wohl behaupten, Canaan hätten einfach die überschüssigen Neronoia-Songs genommen, ein wenig umarrangiert und für ihre eigenen Zwecke genutzt.
Sicherlich ist der Einfluss nicht ganz abzustreiten, spielen doch 4 der 5 Musiker in beiden Bands. Dennoch ist das, was die Italiener auf ihrem sechsten Studioalbum abliefern, etwas ganz Anderes:
Mit Metal hatte die kontroverse Kapelle noch nie viel am Hut, und daran ändert sich auch auf dem neuen Album nichts.Im Gegenteil, ein regelrechtes Kontrastprogramm wird hier auf den geneigten Hörer losgelassen, beim Namen Contro.Luce (ital. Gegen.Licht) wohl auch nicht weiter verwunderlich.
Komplett auf Italienisch eingesungen mag dieses durchweg ruhige Album vielleicht erst etwas befremdlich wirken, jedoch passt die Sprache wirklich zum Charakter der Musik. Die düstere Klangwelt, wenn auch teilweise durch fröhlich anmutende Streicher und ähnliche Spielereien, ist das bestimmende Thema, und Mauro’s Stimme sorgt hier für die drückende Schwere, die sich bei Stücken wie „Ragione“ auf den Hörer legt wie eine Bleiweste auf den Patienten.
Dann hätten wir da ein Problem, was die Songs angeht: 11 der 21 Titel heißen schlicht und ergreifend „ . “, sind großteils instrumental gehalten und weisen viele traditionelle Klänge aus dem mediterranen und okzidentalen Raum auf.
Insofern merkwürdig, als dass die einzelnen Teile sich doch stark unterscheiden. Genau am Wendepunkt der Platte gibt es gleich zweimal „ . “ hintereinander, und von da an werden die Lieder auch immer experimentierfreudiger, was sich bis zum Abschlussinstrumental weiter steigert. Hier finden sich auch immer wieder leichtere, man könnte fast sagen stimmungsvollere Anteile, die schon ein wenig an The Birthday Massacre erinnern.
Dagegen stehen 10 Stücke wie das einleitende „Calma“, bei dem der Name (ital. „Ruhe“) Programm ist, während das abwechslungsreiche „Terrore“ in der Mitte des Albums mit drückender, dunkler Atmosphäre aufwartet. Teilweise wird der Gesang auch zweistimmig vorgetragen, was die Atmosphäre des ganzen nur noch stärker verbreitert, und man sich wahrhaft auf einem fliegenden Klangteppich wiederfindet.

Fazit:
Insgesamt handelt es sich um ein Album, das durchgängig „adagio“ gehalten ist, aber durch die Tiefe und Dichte seiner Klängezu überzeugen weiß. Verzerrte Gitarren und Stimmen sind ebenso zu finden wie symphonische Samples, Mauro’s Stimme fügt sich ohne Probleme ins Gesamtkonzept der dunkelmetallischen Träumerei, die übrigens am Besten im Ganzen genossen werden sollte.
Sowieso ist der sechste Streich von Canaan nichts zum Zwischendurch-mal-hören, es braucht Ruhe, die ganze Vielfalt von Contro.Luce auf sich einsinken zulassen.
Ein kleiner Punkt, an dem ich mich gestoßen habe war die Tatsache, dass die Stücke untereinander kaum verwoben sind, Übergange sind scharf und kaum fließend, aber das war wohl bei diesem Album der Gegensätze so vorgesehen.

8,5/10

http://metal.de/cdreviews.php4?was=review&id=15993

CANAAN zählen mit zu den wichtigsten Adressen, wenn von dunkler, düsterer Musik aus Italien die Rede ist, keine Frage. Und selbst wenn sich Mastermind Mauro Berchi in den letzten Jahren in erster Linie um sein zweites Projekt NERONIA gekümmert hat, galt das Unternehmen CANAAN niemals als beendet, wie man auch davon ausgehen kann, dass momentan zwar die Priorität erneut anders gelagert zu sein scheint, wir aber doch auch wieder neues Futter von NERONIA verabreicht bekommen werden.

Mit "Contro.Luce" (dt. "Gegenlicht") präsentiert uns die Formation ein für alle Dunkelheimer wohl überaus spannendes Werk, das nicht nur durch die Tatsache aus der Veröffentlichungsflut herausragt, dass die Texte allesamt in italienischer Sprache vorgetragen werden, sondern auch, weil man die insgesamt 21 Kompositionen (inklusive zahlreicher, zum Teil namenloser Interludien) zu einem wahrlich packenden Gesamtkonzept zusammengefügt hat.

Zwar wird sich der hart rockende, headbangende Teil der Leserschaft nicht wirklich von CANAAN angesprochen fühlen, weil man diesbezüglich hier definitiv an der falschen Adresse ist, wem es jedoch nach einer phasenweise regelrecht skurril anmutenden Melange aus Dark Wave, Ambient und World Music gelüstet, der ist hier absolut richtig.

Vom Aufbau her ist es interessant mitzuverfolgen, dass zumeist ein titelloses Stück im Anschluss an eines mit Titel folgt, so als ob die Künstler ihren schöpferischen Drang innerhalb der Kompositionen selbst nicht vollständig ausleben konnten und wahlweise einen "Abklang" (oder auch ein Vorspiel zum nächsten Track) hinzufügen mussten. In wie fern das als Teil eines Konzepts zu verstehen ist, vermag ich nicht wirklich zu beurteilen, jedenfalls passt diese Vorgehensweise gut zum Gesamtbild.

Auch wenn manche Kompositionen noch nicht einmal im Ansatz etwas mit "Rockmusik" im eigentlichen Sinne zu tun haben, muss selbst meine Wenigkeit CANAAN attestieren, ein überaus imposantes Werk abgeliefert zu haben, das mit ungemein vielen Spannungsmomenten und Überraschungen aufwarten kann.

Die Palette reicht dabei von ethnischen Klänge, wie in "4", das den Zuhörer schnurstracks auf eine Reise gen Nahen Osten entführt und orientalisches Flair versprüht, bis hin zur beklemmenden Atmosphäre von "Lascivia", das zunächst mit Melodien eines Schlangenbeschwörers aufwartet, ehe uns dunkelste Klänge im Sinne früher FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM kredenzt werden, die durch die italienischen Lyrics noch ein wenig geheimnisvoller wirken.

Zugegeben, "Contro.Luce" ist auf Dauer nicht unbedingt einfach zu ertragen und auch alles andere als ein Album um in einen Tag zu starten, wer sich jedoch ganz gerne mal absolut ungewöhnliches Liedgut zu Gemüte führt, liegt hier richtig, denn dieses Album macht sich als dunkler Farbtupfer mit Sicherheit in jeder Kollektion ganz gut.

http://www.metal-glory.de/reviews.php?nr=20482

Bei den Italiener Canaan handelt es sich um eine Band welche aus Ras Algethi, eine der Urväter des Funeral Doom, hervorgegangen sind. Eine gewisse Doom Atmosphäre ist sicher auch auf dem hier vorliegendem Klanggebilde auszumachen. Mit Metal hat dies allerdings herzlich wenig zu tun; was dem geneigtem Höre aber ziemlich egal sein dürfte.
In etwas mehr als 72 Minuten gibt es 21 Stücke welche eine sehr düstere Stimmung verbreiten und sehr experimentell gehalten sind. Keyboard und Samples bestimmen die größtenteils instrumental gehaltenen Songs und mit verzerrten Gitarren, ein immer passend eingesetztes Schlagzeug und teilweise sehr rauen Tönen wird alles verwoben. Auch Percussionklänge und leicht orientalisch angehauchte Rhythmen bekommen ihren Platz in diesem Klangwerk. Hinzu kommt ein sehr prägnanter Gesang der meist klar daherkommt. Nur ab und an, wenn ein paar „Spooken Words“ eingebracht werden gibt es auch hier Verzerrungen. Sprachlich hält man sich an die italienische Muttersprache, welche hier, ob ihrer hervorragenden Eignung Emotionen auszudrücken, wohl auch am besten passt.
Fazit: Contro.Luce ist ein Album was zwar mit Metal nichts zu tun hat, aber wohl auch dem ein oder anderen Freund Selbigen gefallen könnte. Eine dunkle Stimmung die manchmal regelrecht erdrückend wirkt, der teilweise doomige Charakter und der doch recht Ambient mäßige Sound dürfte wohl auch unter Metallern seine Anhänger finden. Obwohl jeder Song(von denen über die Hälfte einfach nur „.“ genannt werden) für sich allein stehen könnte, passt dennoch alles zusammen und jeder Song könnte als ein Kapitel einer Geschichte stehen. Ein Klanggebilde was man nicht einfach nebenbei hören sollte. Um dieses Werk wirklich erforschen zu können sollte man sich Zeit nehmen, den Kopfhörer aufsetzen, die Augen schließen und es dann auf sich wirken lassen. Musikalisch hochwertige Kunst. 8/10 Punkte

http://www.trebuchet-magazine.com/index.php/site/article/canaan_contra.luce/

Canaan – Contra.Luce

13th Dec 2010 in Reviews, by Ruth Carlisle
(Eibon Records, 12th Jan 2011)
You are brought into a world. A world that is surrounded in shadow and echoing with primal noise. Something is calling you from a spiritual cave, the voices echo and cut. Canaan are summoning you.
The album Contra.Luce is both named and unnamed. The opening track ‘Calma’ is revolutionary, awakening something dark and soulful in lush Italian vocals. You already know that this album is far different from most metal ambient releases. Yes, Doom is something of a specialty to these experimental and dark orchestrators. But this is not Doom as I have known it. Never in my mind did I picture throwing myself off a building because our society is just that crap a place. This album made me feel that the world was in desperate need of a cult of my design, which could heal that darkness and speak the truths that no one could say.
Of course I can’t speak Italian. So my analysis could have all the validity of Katie Price translating the Rosetta Stone. However I know how these tracks made me feel. I was in an industrial limbo, experiencing both a cool and shadowy ambience whilst overwhelmed by waves of spiritual chaos. It was like listening to a Chaucerian murder mystery. I didn’t know whodunit but listening to the archaic and cryptic clues made for an intriguing suspense story.
Yet (and you knew there was going to be a “yet”), this is a great leap from Canaan’s usual fair. Evolution is good for a band, vital even. Nevertheless I find that Canaan changed their identity, the formula for which their odd and classical mix of metal achieved results. Please don’t think me ethnocentric, my frown was not borne of a lack of English in it’s gothic content. There is genuinely a change of heart to the work, a sacrilegious upheaval. The change wasn’t dramatic enough to remove them from their original musical sphere. The Unsaid Words, their album from 2006 was all shadow, doom and destruction. A Calling To Weakness 2002, contains prayers of tragedy and continuous disappointment in the human condition (delicious). Basically this band has delighted in darkening our days. However the new album has a different taste, one of operatic disdain blended with hopeful, internationally understood romanticism.
Therefore the change, though maybe unwanted by die hard fans, is welcomed by me. I actually delight (a word hardly ever used when considering dark ambient metal) in exploring these assorted and technologically disheartened tracks. Like entering a monastery from a 1970’s horror film, all smiles at first until you wake up married to Odin and trapped in the coming of Ragnorak.
Always saying that they formed due to the break up of Ras Algethi, the only other Doom metal band from Italy, Canaan have been patriotic metal mongerers. They wished to place Italy on the Gothic map. Through their previous album incarnations they have mostly succeeded. But Contra.Luce is a cultural re-awakening, where Canaan embraces their Italian character and amplify it till the very gods shake in their wee omnipotent booties.

http://www.lordsofmetal.nl/showreview.php?id=17936&lang=en

Canaan - contro.luce
Eibon Records
archiveer onder alternative / pop
image.php
Vera: Canaan gaat verder en verder. Hun drang tot experimenteren eindigt steeds in een patchwork van stukjes muziek die toch een coherent geheel vormen. Het geeft je soms een bevreemdend gevoel, want de klanktapijten zijn depressief van toon, soms industrieel met een onbehaaglijk gevoel, soms lieflijk en balsemend. Na het vorige album ’The Unsaid Words’ zetten de vijf muzikanten uit Milaan Canaan even in de ijskast en bracht men twee albums uit met de band Neronoia. Nu is Neronoia weer even aan de kant geschoven en concentreerde men zich op Canaan. Zoals aangegeven zal ‘contro.luce’ enkele wenkbrauwen doen fronsen en dat niet alleen omdat het album volledig in het Italiaans gezongen is. Aanvankelijk denk je dat ‘contro.luce’ tien nummers bevat. Daartussen staat telkens een punt. Ik ontdekte al vlug dat ook ‘.’ telkens een song is en meer bepaald een instrumentaal intermezzo. Dat maakt éénenzeventig minuten muziek en éénentwintig songs.

Het is een vreemde trip vol verschillende klanken en sferen. De tien songs met een titel worden sereen gezongen in de welluidende Italiaanse taal. Ze zijn vredig en kalm, zelfs alsof je luistert naar een Italiaanse charmezanger. Veel zwevende synthesizers en een enkele mooie gitaarsolo (in ‘Ragione’) weerklinken. De instrumentale stukjes zijn onderling meer verschillend. Elementen van ambient, cold wave, etnische muziek (speciale percussie) en industrial komen allemaal aan bod. De algemene indruk is erg donker, maar ook erg kalm. Geen moment metal te bespeuren. Het album werd wederom opgenomen in de eigen thuisstudio, maar mix en mastering gebeurde in de Noise Factory door Alessio Camagni. Alles klinkt helder en verzorgd. Je beluistert het album best als een geheel en je zal versteld staan. Het ene moment is het experimenteel en kosmisch, dan waant ge u in Japanse tuinen (fluit), dan is men afstandelijk en industrieel bezig, jammerende zang van een muezzin weerklinkt, ja, soms zelfs enkele minuten stilte. Dit is een erg vreemde plaat en ik ben er ditmaal niet meteen uit of ik dit nu goed of slecht vind. Gefronste wenkbrauwen, inderdaad.
Geen score

[FONT=&quot]http://www.dagheisha.com/default/hom.asp

[/FONT] Un capolavoro assoluto questo disco da ascoltare e leggere contro luce esattamente come il titolo suggerisce. Al momento non mi interessa addentrarmi nei meandri della cold wave, dell'ambient o del dark, della musica etnica o del neo folk perché vi assicuro avrete tutto il tempo di godere della varietà stilistica dell'album quando si incollerà alle vostre meningi. Mi accontento di trasmettervi il mio entusiasmo nel vedere un gruppo che costruisce la sua base vicino alle nostre case spostarsi talmente in avanti nel suo processo evolutivo da rendere imbarazzante qualunque confronto. Signori qui non si parla di rapporti con artisti provenienti dall'estero, qui si parla di un'entità sonora assolutamente unica che ci invidiano da tutto il mondo e nessuno riesce ad avvicinare. 'Contro.luce' è manifesto di una violenza non materiale che abbiamo scordato, oltre settanta minuti di abissi lirici, vertigini vocali, insalubri discese nel fango elettronico e saluti futuristici dall'aldilà. 'Contro.luce' è parole non dette, è colloquio, è noia della più nera. 'Calma' e 'Terrore' preannunciano la 'Ragione' nelle volontà di Mauro Berchi e il lascivo esitante modello secondo il quale le canzoni si mostrano all'ascoltatore non ha precedenti nella loro carriera. 'Contro.luce' è mistico abbandonarsi al destino che ci affligge dal momento in cui siamo nati.
A cura di divine @ 23/12/2010

[FONT=&quot]http://www.musik.terrorverlag.de/rezensionen/canaan/contro-luce/

[/FONT] 8.00 von 10 Punkten

"Contro.Luce" - Wider das Licht?! Die italienischen Düster Avantgardisten von CANAAN kehren nach über 4 Jahren Pause mit ihrem 6.
Album zurück in die Öffentlichkeit, um abermals menschliche Urängste zu sezieren. Das Kollektiv rund um den Eibon Records-Betreiber Mauro Berchi wusste mich insbesondere mit dem 2000er Meisterwerk "Brand New Babylon"
zu packen, doch auch die beiden Nachfolger waren von bester Qualität.
Anno 2010 hatte ich zunächst meine Schwierigkeiten, mit dem neuen Material warm zu werden. Wenngleich sich stilistisch die grobe Ausrichtung nicht verändert hat, fehlte mir die bekannte Grösse und Erhabenheit. Das Eintauchen-Können in eine Art morbider Melancholie, das Schwelgen in traurigen Tönen.

Wieder wird mit Material nicht gegeizt: 72 Minuten mit einem Wechselspiel aus "richtigen" Songs und athmosphärischen Interludes, womit schon mal klar sein dürfte, dass man "Contro.Luce"am Stück geniessen sollte, am besten kombiniert mit einem süffigen Rotwein inmitten flackernden Kerzenlichts. Ja das ist KLISCHEE pur, aber es funktioniert. Der Gesang hat sich im Laufe der Jahre "verhellert", wirkt sehr weich, zudem wird dieses Mal ausschliesslich in Landessprache intoniert. Das erschwert (mir) zwar den Zugang zu den Texten, sorgt aber für einen mystisch-romantischen Unterton. Der Opener "Calma"ist für mich leider schlecht gewählt, da er zwar die wesentlichen Elemente des CANAAN-Sounds anbietet, aber mit seiner getragenen Gleichförmigkeit eher kalt lässt. Ganz im Gegensatz zu "Onore"("Ehre"), das sofort im positiven Sinne erschauern lässt. Die Singstücke präsentieren sich als Mischung aus (Dark) Wave und Electronica, hier und da angereichert mit Industrial Elementen ("Terrore") oder härteren E-Gitarren ("Noia"), dazu Mauros überaus sanftmütiger Gesang. Besonders hervorzuheben an dieser Stelle auch das dynamische "Oblio". Bei den Zwischenparts dominieren mal Ambient-artige Flächen, dann wieder percussive Tracks, die nicht selten Orientalisch angehaucht sind.

Erneut ein sehr durchdachtes Konzept der Italiener, erneut ein Wechselbad der Gefühle, minimal geschmälert durch leichte Abnutzungserscheinungen in der B-Note. Doch wer sich intensiv mit dem Material beschäftigt, wird hier wieder viele Möglichkeiten für seinen ganz persönlichen Eskapismus finden. Jetzt wünsche ich mir für das nächste Jahrzehnt auch mal einen Live-Auftritt, um sich endgültig verlieren zu können.

TK (31-12-2010)

[FONT=&quot]http://www.pushtofire.com/musicreviews.html#article425

[/FONT] After focussing on side project Neronia for the past four years, Italy's dark masters Canaan have returned with their sixth studio album 'Contro.Luce'.

Born from the ashes of funeral doom band Ras Algethi, Canaan have forged their way into the world of successful European darkwave artists with past albums Blue Fire (1996), Walk Into My Open Womb (1998), Brand New Babylon (2000), A Calling To Weakness (2002) and The Unsaid Words (2006).

The biggest difference fans will notice is that 'Contro.Luce' is sung entirely in the band's native Italian. Whilst a bit confronting for those of us who are linguistically challenged, the change in language doesn't detract from the record; merely adding another layer of mystery to the music.

Roughly translated as Against Light, 'Contro.Luce' is a mixture of genres, mainly darkwave and ethnic. Each track is accentuated by an instrumental which feature different forms of world music crossed in with their unique sound. Organs, bongos, tribal horns, strings and keyboard, as well as the traditional guitars and drums all come together and give the band an ambient darkwave feel.

Constantly evolving their sound track by tack, Canaan's latest offering is well worth a listen.

7/10

http://cosucce.blogspot.com/2011/01/canaan-controluce.html

'Contro luce' is the title of the new album by Canaan from Italy. As the info sheet states, this is a release will leave a lot of people unsatisfied, specifically beacuse it's all sung in italian (something rather unacceptable by purists of english language in music) and because the music in this release is very difficult to label, especially if compared with the previous works. Should it be a real problem? Is the fact we can't chose between such terms as cold wave, ambient, dark and ethnic music the biggest matter? I don't think so. If we'd be able to look beyond these silly non-problems at all, we'd discover a beautiful world made of melodies, hypnotic atmospheres and pure feelings.
Canaan are nowadays one of the best representatives of "this" kind of music, although 'Contro.Luce' can not be considered an easy-listening album (but not always the easiest are the best, personally I always thought the opposite) but a long, twisted trip to nowhere, lasting more than 70 minutes. Claustrophobic but majestic.
If only every record could have the same quality of this one here...

http://www.archaic-magazine.com/article.php?aid=46616

Calm. Pride. Boredom. Terror. Reason. Oblivion. Immorality. Humility.
Lust. Doubt. The unbearable, senseless, eternal condition of the human soul. Burdens we carry through our entire existence, too frightened to breathe, too scared to find more darkness beyond the shadows we know. A colorless world made of solitude and apathy which negates hope: “Contro.
Luce”, “Against. The light”. Canaan live depression on a daily basis not as a juvenile aesthetic choice but as a medical condition, they make no secret of it. Their new work is a stunning diary made of intimate confessions which reveal a new maturity: adulthood has brought a new sense of wisdom and calmness that give pain a different, richer dimension. Closer to spiritual catharsis than hopelessness, their depressive rock has become a shining gem refulgent of a myriad of facets, not all of which are dark. The music has opened up, it sounds less claustrophobic and more vivid, opening up to warm Mediterranean sounds no longer as unreachable mirages but as real oasis amongst the harsh griminess of our cold cities. The lingering old New Wave/Gothic flavor has left altogether for a vast, sprawling sound that connects with the experimental/existential rock of legendary fellow Italian artists such as Franco Battiato. The simple melodies are stunningly beautiful and echo deep inside the heart. The choral electronics merge with sparse layers of brilliantly clean, venomously acrid or softly fuzzy metallic guitars and a heartbeat-like bass, forming an enveloping carpet of textures. The ambient/acoustic moments are richer and take the listener through a rollercoaster of emotions, from the coldest and most uncomfortable to the hesitantly hopeful. The nostalgia for lost childhood, cradle of our forgotten soul, becomes here a comforting chimera that is actually at an arm’s length, if only we made the effort to reach out… Also, Canaan ditch the old-style vocals for a more contemporary clean style of singing, occasionally filtered to make it sound detached and ghostly but no longer moaning: the result is simply perfect. At long last the wonderfully poetic lyrics are all in Italian, and the song structure benefits from that in a very positive way, making the melodies open up and breathe like infinite, mutable skies rushing past above our heads. This is still a very Canaan album, but it is a glorious turn-around which results in nothing less than a masterpiece.
Whenever the heart is heavy, this is timeless music that will make the pain flood out into the vast, all-embracing lap of the universe.
Highly recommended!

) http://bastonate.wordpress.com/2010/12/21/il-juke-box-del-suicidio/

L’altro giorno Reje mi ha scritto che era uscito il nuovo dei Canaan. È una specie di rituale: Canaan e Colloquio sono i nostri Beatles e Rolling Stones, e la data esatta di uscita del nuovo disco è un evento da segnare sul calendario. In questo, Reje è sempre stato sul pezzo molto più di me, controllando quotidianamente il sito della Eibon – unica fonte per notizie di tal genere – e guai a sgarrare, con la perseveranza e la devozione che solo chi è stato un fan maniacale può conoscere. Quando è uscito l’ultimo dei Colloquio mi ha addirittura telefonato. Io, onestamente era da un po’ che avevo mollato il colpo, anche solo per una banale questione di autoconservazione: avessi continuato a sottoporre la mia mente e il mio fisico all’ascolto reiterato di quei dischi, a quest’ora non sarei qui a scrivere ma sotto un cipresso a farmi divorare anzitempo dai vermi. La ragione è che i Canaan (e i Colloquio, e i Neronoia, che è un progetto in cui confluiscono Canaan e Colloquio, il che è come dire morte più morte) avevano (hanno) il potere di amplificare ben oltre il limite dell’umanamente tollerabile una gamma di sfumature della tristezza virtualmente inesauribile.
Chi non ha mai sentito una canzone dei Canaan finora si è perso una delle colonne sonore migliori per i momenti (o giorni, o mesi, o anni, o
vita) di disperazione più nera e dolore mentale più puro, senza filtri né barriere di sorta. Il leader e compositore principale del gruppo, Mauro Berchi, è un professionista della depressione; la sonda, la misura, la abita probabilmente da sempre, l’ha analizzata e vivisezionata instancabilmente, per anni, in lunghe interviste che somigliano piuttosto a esaurienti trattati di psicanalisi, l’ha plasmata a proprio piacimento (si fa per dire) lungo canzoni e dischi che sono la voce di chi la speranza l’ha già persa da un pezzo ma che comunque, per ragioni che ignoro, non riesce a farla finita, l’ha incanalata, attraverso una serie cruciale di uscite-chiave, in una piccola etichetta discografica che è stata un autentico faro nella notte senza fine degli afflitti, i deboli e gli umiliati (ma solo quelli con gusti musicali tendenti al dark più tetro, all’ambient più opprimente e al power electronics più molesto). Dopo aver subito un disco dei Canaan anche aver vinto alla lotteria sembrerà una disgrazia insormontabile. È roba pericolosa, roba che avvelena l’anima, che entra dentro la carne come una coltellata, ed è roba a cui – vai tu a sapere per quali masochistici motivi – non riusciamo a fare a meno.
Credevo di essermi liberato dell’allucinante cappa oppressiva dei Canaan dopo The Unsaid Words, disco che stranamente sentivo ‘distante’, che non mi rispecchiava al 300% come gli altri, e allora avevo lasciato perdere, avevo cercato altrove, ero perfino arrivato a dimenticarmi della loro esistenza dopo il secondo Neronoia; per alcuni mesi sono sicuro di non avere mai, nemmeno per un istante, pensato ai Canaan. Ma è impossibile cambiare quel che siamo, ecco perché non appena Reje mi ha scritto che sul sito della Eibon erano stati caricati due samples del nuovo album dei Canaan mi ci sono precipitato, e poi ho ritirato fuori l’intera discografia e me la sono sucata tutta dall’inizio alla fine, da Blue Fire a The Unsaid Words (che peraltro mi ha dilaniato come mai prima), un tour de force assolutamente scriteriato nelle pieghe dello stare male gratis, l’ultima idea che dovrebbe venire a un essere umano anche solo parzialmente sano di mente se non come anticamera del suicidio. Il prossimo step si intitola Contro.Luce, ed è una tortura a cui non vediamo l’ora di sottoporci. Non lo consiglio soltanto perché non vorrei cadaveri sulla coscienza, però insomma, sapete cosa fare.

http://passzio.hu/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=22080

Szó se róla, igen kemény diónak bizonyult az 1996 óta létező és alkotó milánói banda hatodik nagylemeze. Korábban még csak a nevüket sem hallottam, nem még a zenéjüket, e korong kapcsán pedig külön felhívja a figyelmet a kiadó, hogy elég nehéz összehasonlítani bármivel, amit korábban kiadott a kezei közül a zenekar. Hurrá... Ráadásul dark, ambient és cold wave zenék keverékéről van szó, ami önmagában garantálja, hogy az elkövetkező 71 perc nem fog felhőtlenül vidám hangulatban telni...
Biztosan az én zenei alulműveltségemből adódik, de a Calma című nyitó tétel hallatán rögtön felmerült bennem a kérdés: ez miez? Elsőre azt hittem valamiféle rossz tréfának vagyok az áldozata, kábé úgy tűnt, hogy egy nyugtatós trippen lévő Eros Ramazotti titokban rákattant a Dead Can Dance zenéjére és a jellegzetes ízű rádiókompatibilis énektémáit melankolikus depresszióba öntve tálalja a gyanútlan áldozat felé. Khm, érdekes... Lehet, hogy másoknak ez a dark, meg az ambient muzsikák csúcsa, nekem azért más elképzeléseim voltak idáig erről... Örvénylik, morajlik a 21 nóta, de az igazi mélységet én hiányolom belőle, amitől hiteles lesz egy efféle produkció.
Pedig kétségtelen, hogy értékelhetőbb, mi több, megkapó témák és melódiák is felbukkannak. Komoly szerephez jut a dalokban az elektronika, a különféle effektek és "zajok" elég sajátos, mi több, bizarr aurát kölcsönöznek helyenként a zenének. Összességében elmondható, hogy a húros hangszerek erősen alá vannak rendelve a szintetizátor és különféle elektronikus kütyük által generált hangoknak, a dobról nem is beszélve, mégsem tűnik élettelennek a végeredmény. Ez köszönhető a korrekt soundnak, a sajátos hangulathoz pedig Mauro dallamos éneke is hozzájárul, bár érzésem szerint pont az ő teljesítménye ad nem kevés kommersz jelleget az összképnek. A pöttyökkel jelzett trackek többsége csak átkötő jellegű instrumentális szerzemény, viszont meglepő dolgok is felbukkannak ezekben, teszem azt egy hamisítatlan keleties dallam, de dudát és furulyát is csatasorba állítanak a zenészek.
Furcsa, de érzelmeket ébresztő muzsika, amit nem könnyű sem megérteni, sem befogadni. Számomra nem igazán sikerült, de biztosan vannak olyanok, akik keblükre ölelik majd a csapatot.

http://www.alonemusic.it/section.php?article=1770&section=recensioni

Se siete dei “chimici” della musica, ovvero vi piacciono le sperimentazioni senza confine, beh ecco l’album che fa per voi: “Contro.Luce” dei Canaan. Il quintetto nasce nel lontano 1995 dalle ceneri della band RAS ALGETHI, di nota impronta funeral doom. I Canaan hanno all’attivo cinque album di cui quest’ultimo interamente prodotto in italiano. Definire con chiarezza il genere che fanno questi ragazzi non è facile, anche perché mettere l’etichetta “dark” sarebbe troppo ristretto sia nel termine musicale che della stessa concezione del songwriting. Inoltre a rendere la lettura ancora più “ermetica” è la scelta di intervallare ogni traccia della tracklist con pezzi solo strumentali, dalle ambientazioni inquietanti e quasi da “poltergeist”, che alleggia fino alla fine. Ogni song porta il nome di un sentimento umano universalmente condiviso: si parte da “Calma” che viene cantata con leggerezza e timidezza di invasione, alleggerita da due paia di ali fatte di synth. “Terrore” ci porta su lidi oscuri e poco visibili, dove smarriamo la strada e ci troviamo face to face con la paura del nostro inconscio. Il lungo viaggio per ritrovare se stessi, che viene fatto appunto nell’ oscurità o come dicono i nostri “contro luce”, ci porta a sperimentare vari stadi dalla “Lascivia”, all’ “Umiltà”, alla “Concupiscenza” fino ad arrivare all’ “Esitazione” che illumina le atmosfere scandite da tempi lunghi, riffing sintetizzati da ambientazioni di tastiere, in una lunga improvvisazione di trasformazione in musica del proprio subconscio, la parte di noi che fa più paura e che rimane sempre relegata nel fondo della nostra anima.
Sentendo questo mi viene da citare un verso di William Blake : « Se le porte della percezione venissero sgombrate, tutto apparirebbe all'uomo come in effetti è, infinito. »

http://www.ondarock.it/recensioni/2010_canaan.htm

Avevamo lasciato Mauro Berchi - leader di Canaan - circa tre anni or sono con "Il Rumore delle Cose", secondo capitolo a nome Neronoia, sodalizio condiviso da Canaan con il bolognese Colloquio, al secolo Gianni Pedretti, ed improntato su monolitiche trame sonore a metà tra doom e dark-wave. Esce quindi a dicembre 2010 - come sempre sull'ottima Eibon Records diretta dallo stesso Berchi - "Contro.Luce", sesto album di Canaan, che segna il ritorno sulle scene italiane del progetto meneghino a circa quattro anni di distanza dal precedente "The Unsaid Words".

Sono ventuno le tracce contenute nel nuovo lavoro, nel qualei la storica cifra stilistica di Canaan - ovvero quella di una asfittica miscela tra staticità di matrice doom e introspezioni interlocutorie in chiave dark-wave - porta a fare iconti con un'introiezione/rappresentazione di una realtà ossessivamente ostile, priva di qualsivoglia ipotesi o promessa di speranza, terribile matrigna che fustiga speranze e cuori dei suoi protetti. Meraviglioso l'incipit, affidato a "Calma", recante un inusuale senso di consolazione, fugace nube destinata a scomparire davanti ai cioraniani peana intonati da Berchi. Intenso l'episodio "Terrore", in cui emerge chiaramente tutto il portato della straordinaria esperienza Neronoia, un portato fatto di marcescenti intarsi sonori neri come la pece, che trovano parziale requie nella maestosa solennità di "Ragione".

Da rilevare gli strumentali che costellano l'intero "Contro.Luce." - fugaci acquerelli sonori che di volta in volta esplorano la tematica d'ambiente e quella più tipicamente etnica - che fungono da punto di raccordo tra le canzoni dell'opera: ideali camere iperbariche di decompressione dal turbine di negatività gravitante all'interno dei solchi di questo lavoro. Un ottimo, e atteso, ritorno che di sicuro non deluderà i fan storici del gruppo italiano.

http://www.hardsounds.it/PUBLIC/recensione.php?id=6825

Il sesto album in studio dei Canaan conferma la vena stilistica della band, nonchè quella emotiva. Dark-wave, ambient e vagiti elettronici al servizio dell'introspezione pura. Connubio che se apparentemente potrebbe indurre a pensare al solito indigesto polpettone triste e malinconico, i fatti invece dimostrano che ci troviamo al cospetto dell'ennesimo capolavoro della band lombarda. Dopo l'esaltante esperienza con Neronoia - Un Mondo In Me, e Il Rumore Delle Cose - dopo il bellissimo The Unsaid Words, 'Contro.Luce' si staglia sopra ogni altra produzione di Berchi e soci e diventa indubbiamente il manifesto definitivo della band. Non perchè non ci siano margini per progredire, anzi, ma allo stato delle cose riesce difficile pensare si possa fare meglio data l'eccellenza dell'album in questione: maturo e sperimentale, coacervo di umori e sensazioni infinite, oscuro e malato, oppressivo e doloroso, ma di pari passo cedevole, indulgente, a tratti delicato, poetico. Ben ventuno brani che scorrono via senza arrecare affanni tra ritmiche dilatate e lente, suoni filtrati, effetti, innesti etnici di matrice mediorientale, tappeti ambient, orchestrazioni - della Universal Choas Orchestra - melodie che ti si piantano dentro e crescono man mano con l'andare del brano, per poi sbocciare definitivamente...sempre dentro. Riflessivo e conturbante, in solenne e perpetuo chiaroscuro, 'Contro.Luce' è completamente cantato in italiano e soltanto da Mauro il quale riesce a trasmettere il colore ed il calore necessari ad ogni testo, in ogni contesto. Disco perfetto? No, ci mancherebbe, ma se lo fosse probabilmente non sarebbe qualitativamente immenso come dimostra di essere: qui è fondamentale anche il fascino dell'imperfezione - poche, pochissime - segno che nel suo incedere maestoso l'album trasmette dignità anche ai difetti. Virtù che solo i più grandi possiedono, ed i Canaan ormai grandi lo sono per davvero.Un divenire di emozioni senza fine.

http://www.zwaremetalen.com/recensie/17677/Canaan-ControLuce.html

Canaan is volgens mij een van de weinige Italiaanse bands die zich specificeren in darkwave, ambient en experimental en dit ook nog eens goed weten te laten klinken. Niet met het album van het jaar, zo goed is het nou ook weer niet, maar wel met een album dat de gemiddelde kwaliteit van producten uit het land van herkomst ruim overschrijdt. Jan Hendriksen beoordeelde het vorige album The Unsaid Words met een 90.
Haalt Contro.luce dat ook?

Het is voor het eerst dat een heel Canaan-album wordt gezongen in het Italiaans. De taal past echter goed binnen de stijl van de band. Een minder punt is dat tussen alle normale nummers zich een dark ambient-achtig stuk bevindt. Mij is niet helemaal duidelijk of het album ook zo uitgegeven wordt (mij werd enkel een download verstrekt) of dat de ‘normale’ nummers apart op een schijf staan en de ambientnummers op een tweede. Het laatste zou namelijk stukken beter werken. Dan hoeft een volledige luisterbeurt niet ruim twee uur te duren, en dan zou de vaart (relatief gesproken natuurlijk, de normale nummers doen het ook op
slakkentempo) er niet telkens uit gehaald worden.

Over de normale nummers dan. De kwaliteit hiervan is prima. Allen zijn trage, duistere songs vol melancholie maar ook vol melodie. De zang is in ieder geval het meest opvallend. Deze is niet laag en mompelend maar helder en hoopvol. Dit geeft de sfeer iets extra’s mee, zonder haar te vrolijk of te opgewekt te maken. Enkel de paar meer grunt-achtige partijen hadden weggelaten mogen worden. De ambientnummers hebben ook hun kwaliteiten, maar achter elkaar op een plaat zou ik deze zelf niet opzetten. Hiervoor zit er toch te weinig spanning in. Sommigen werken goed als intermezzo tussen twee nummers in, maar de rest blijft voor mij toch een beetje skipmateriaal.

Toch wil ik dit album met een ruime voldoende beoordelen. Daarvoor zijn de ‘normale’ nummers meer dan goed genoeg. De diepe, duistere sfeer in combinatie met de heldere zang en de melodieuze keyboard- en gitaarpartijen maakt dit album tot een bijzondere beleving. Al helemaal als je al bijna drie jaar matige albums gewend bent uit de laars van Europa.

75/100

http://surrealimmersion.com/canaan-contro_luce.html

After some five years, Canaan is back with a new album after The Unsaid Words. I have to confess, though I know their existence (they release albums already since 1996), I've never listened extensively to their music, just some tracks here and there. So I come in with their new album, which is called Contro.Luce, rather open-minded.

The albums title has several interpretations; the word controluce literally means back-lightning, but added with the dot in the middle, we can interpret it as against the light. The word is also every first letter of the named tracks on this album. While there are 10 songs with titled names, the whole album consists of 21 tracks. The titled tracks represent songs with vocals. These songs, however, are interspersed with untitled instrumental tracks. So we eventually end up with over 70 minutes worth of music. One thing that is noticeable after the first listen is how diverse this album is. There are so many sounds, ideas and structures to be found, it requires several listens to only get a little bit beneath the surface. Also, the album is completely sung in Italian, which gives it a reel authentic feeling. The album starts with 'Calma', which begins with some nice synths and noisy industrial percussion. Then later it forms into a darkwave song. Then we get a very dark instrumental track, which sounds as if we are isolated deep into a cave.
'Oniore' is a beautiful darkwave song, aided with some heavy guitar work. A powerful piece of music! Then we get another instrumental, which sounds nothing like the former instrumental and has a very Middle-Eastern feel to it. 'Noia' is again a very strong vocal track. It starts off with some very quiet melodies, before more heavy guitars turn up. Another highlight is 'Terrore', which is slightly more aggressive in the vocals and suits the title of the track really well (terror), but has a very beautiful-sounding middle part, which gives the sound a very dualistic feeling. Really great song! As I'm thinking, I could go off and tell all about each track, but that would spoil the whole trip for you. There are so much instruments, sounds and ideas here; it can become overwhelming at times. It is a massive release considering the musical ventures, a delirium of sounds if you will. A deep immersive trip through the raw emotions of the mind and soul!

All in all, this is a very diverse and extremely appealing album! While Contro.Luce swings to different moods with every track (this because after each vocal track we get an instrumental track, which is different in sound every time), it does feel very consistent as a whole, which can be a difficult feat to pull off, but Canaan manages this with true easiness. There's so much to like on this album melancholic ambiance, it's hard to complain. I cannot see anything really wrong with it. For some people the Italian singing could be a little thing getting used to perhaps, but this is at the same time also one of the highlights of the album, which truly gives it its authentic beauty and heart! So, to all people into the more experimental and alternative side of music listening, I utterly recommend you to buy this album! It's only the beginning of 2011, but we already get a topnotch release, so that promises a lot for this year!

9/10