CANAAN - "Unsaid Words" reviews

http://www.virus-mag.com/index.php?sn=&a=4229

CANAAN
The Unsaid Words
Label: Eibon Records

Inclusive might be the best way to describe Canaans new CD, combining dark ambient and noise elements with sampled sounds, classically styled compositions, and choral music. Then weave and wrap those elements around prototypical song structures and a penchant for the melodic and you have one of the best CDs Ive heard all year.

The instrumental/ambient pieces are warrant enough to check out this CD, but songs such as the Robert Smith-like This World Of Mine and The Possible Nowheres have the full compliment of compact lyrics, keyboards, guitars, bass, and drums. Remarkably, despite being recorded, arranged, and mastered over the course of approximately eighteen months, the intertwining instrumental fragments and songs do not sound like two different CDs combined, but as complimentary ideas derived, not necessarily by the same formula, but from the same spirited love for creating music.
An example is Fragment # 1, which explores the harmonic impact of Canaans vocal prowess and also sets up the following track Senza Una Risposta, which is sung in Italian. On the lyrically inclined tracks, there is a definite Cure vibe, but on a level of sophistication that transcends mere mimicry.
The most powerful track on the CD, The Unsaid Words dominates in both voluminous and beautiful measures, and is a fine example of Canaans distinct ability to create outstanding and temporally relevant music.

Michael Casano, 17 Dec 2006
10/10

From Metal-Only.com (Swe)

CANAAN is an innovative Italian band that plays a music, which I don’t have, much of an insight into. Canaan their self likes to simply call the style Dark.
Previously the band has released four album with the beginning in 1996 and have since then been a most experimental band with keyboard and sampling in focus.

Mood is the word that easiest falls on my lips when I’m about to describe CANAAN’s work “The unsaid word”. With slow paces it’s a deep atmosphere dressed in a dark suit that are being put trough. At 71 minutes in the shape of 16 tracks I’m for the most part having a pleasant experience. A combination between tracks that is totally devoted to almost surrealistic instrumental soundings and clean songs with message singing about despair and desolation. With an effective hand they achieve to create a wonderland that tells us about the real worlds eternal suffering. The landscape that is floating out the speakers is in my eyes a beautiful sight.
Canaan creates in a fashion that I in the past heard in band as DEAD CAN DANCE, where you can be described as totally emancipated from the rest of the music world’s strings attached rules regarding to meaning and shape. Even if this in the reality doesn’t collaborate with the truth all the way, it is that feeling which will get trough to you.

One of the tracks that get me the most is “Sterile”, where a convincing violin liked sounding rests on a bed of wonderful sound effects. This is a perfect example in how Canaan achieves to say so much without a single word.
When they finally says it in word are this unsaid. The title track “The unsaid words” is the strongest one on the record, maybe because the surroundings now are more recognisable for me. This is a song that is more classic in its shape and easy to get a hold with on this deep journey that we can hear on the rest of the album.

It is this journey that maybe sometimes can be Canaan’s weakness. I’m convinced of that for Canaan time is only an illusion with rules that doesn’t means son much in the creative reality where they are, but for me a certain feeling of being full sometimes makes an appearance concerning the slowly ness.

Written by: Fredrik

1) Ascension Magazine

CANAAN "The Unsaid Words" (CD, Eibon Records)

Ricordo gli esordi dei Canaan, coincisi con quelli dell'etichetta Eibon, e da allora, un susseguirsi di album, uno più valido dell'altro... Ma nonostante questo, "The Unsaid Words" è una rivelazione. L'introduzione del disco attinge dalle sonorità di Tangerine Dream di "Zeit" e della vecchia scuola Cold Meat: ma è solo un assaggio... Lasciate scorrere le tracce e le sfaccettature di questo diamante lanceranno bagliori lugubri attraverso l'oscuro suono di un malefico violino di un demoniaco Paganini che risorge in "sterile" tra echi tombali. La migliore darkwave di casa nostra rivive in "The Possible Nowheres"; spiriti dalle catacombali risonanze di canti gregoriani assorbiti da gotiche pietre rimbalzano a noi in "Fragments 1"... "Fragile" strazia il nostro cuore attraverso una nera ansia, la stupenda "II Rimpianto" insegna come l'italico linguaggio non sia un limite dell'oscura poetica... Tante sono le meraviglie da scoprire in questo vaso di Pandora. (Alberto Lutriani)

2) http://amongstruins.altervista.org/tuw.htm

The Unsaid Words (2005/06) Canaan Eibon Records

Sul finire di un cupo mese di dicembre, in procinto a lasciare il passo ad un non dissimile gennaio, esce l’ultimo lavoro dei Canaan, act milanese tra i più validi nel panorama vagamente chiamato “darkwave”, italiano ed internazionale (se ci fosse bisogno di ribadirlo per l’ennesima volta), ormai giunto alla sua quinta pubblicazione. Una rapida comparazione con i precedenti lavori sorge spontanea: anche questo album mantiene alcuni dei canoni fondamentali del gruppo, tra cui l’alternanza fra “forma-canzone” e brano dark ambient, oltre a rifarsi sempre

a tematiche d’introspezione psicologica, desolazione e alienazione. Ma l’elemento che porta i Canaan ad esser considerati ancora tra i migliori nel loro particolare ambito è la grande capacità di sfumare la musica, di dare un colore diverso a ciascuna delle rappresentazioni che mettono in atto. Laddove il precedente “A Calling to Weakness” (il paragone sorge spontaneo, perlomeno per la somiglianza stilistica che superficialmente li accomuna) era rosso ruggine, grigio ferroso e nero di dolore, questa nuova fatica vira sulle tonalità del blu della memoria, velate sempre e comunque da un tocco di malinconico grigiore, quello delle passate occasioni fallite (in questo senso l’artwork e il layout del booklet sono esemplificanti). Se stilisticamente quest’ultima opera si avvicina al predecessore da lambirne talvolta sonorità e mood, è l’approccio realizzativo a costituire l’elemento di novità. Nello svilupparsi del disco prendono corpo tutti gli ego dei cinque musicisti, ognuno contribuendo con dei “frammenti” del proprio io (“fragments” vengono chiamate e numerate la maggior parte dei delle tracce dark ambient presenti). Vi è anche parte dell’animo di Gianni Pedretti, divenuto quasi una presenza fissa nel collettivo, grazie alle interpretazioni degne di lode che offre in Senza una risposta e Il rimpianto.
Con questo lavoro i Canaan consolidano la propria concezione musicale, tenendo saldi i cardini del loro stile: la semplice quadratezza della ritmica, la ricerca d’intrecci melodici fra chitarre liquefatte, le calme e malinconiche pulsazioni del basso; lasciano l’incombenza di schiudere la porta del loro mondo a nuovi esperimenti e manipolazioni post-industriali, nonché ad una linfa che scorre nei brani-canzone, quella basata su synth cupi, solenni e decadenti al contempo.
Una perla di bellezza opaca, un mondano guscio di rassicurante solitudine, che mostra la faccia di una vita nullificata; il che può essere condivisibile o meno, come qualsiasi espressione d’arte. In attesa di un altro “terribile inverno”.

Davide B.

Canaan - The Unsaid Words (2006) Eibon Records

Después de tanto tiempo sin sacar disco, “Canaan” vuelven con “The Unsaid Words”; El disco es indescriptible, simplemente: perfecto. El Dark Ambient está perfectamente logrado, es dulce, melódico y a la vez tétrico, místico; “The Wrong Side of Things” es el corte que abre el disco, y desde el primer segundo abre una ventana a lo macabro, una especie de intro alo mas puro ambient con unos coros muy sugerentes que deja paso a “This world of mine”, magnífico, ¿Como describir a una banda que no tiene semejanza alguna? Quizas, con este disco la banda mas cercana de las que conozco hasta la fecha sean Tiamat, un tema lento rozando la balada, con un estribillo muy cuidado y una estructura muy redonda. “Sterile” se trata mas bien de un interludios, lo cuales iremos encontrando a lo largo del disco. Bien pensado, buenas preámbulos a modo de presentación a grandes temas, esta en cuestión te sugiere aquella escena del Exorcista donde Pazuzu aparece, esa escena en el desierto. “The possible nowheres” esta emprende con un bajo que suena bastante pop al comienzo hasta que es salvado por la guitarra y se descubre el relleno de la canción, hondura. “Fragment # 1” , corte emocionalmente espiritual y absorto, voces corales muy bien logradas con una impoluta atmósfera de fondo que abre paso a “Senza una risposta ”, otra balada (vamos, en este disco no esperes una velocidad que supere el mind-tempo, todo va en la misma línea.) que al igual que su letra su música no deja aparte el sentimiento existencial. “Fragment # 2” ¿Quien no recordaría a una banda sonora de Michael Nyman? Increíble, cellos, strings una mezcla de la que siempre he sido fiel entusiasta. Pero la emoción mas o menos positiva que dejo esta intro de nubla con, “Fragile ” que sigue abrigada por la misma densidad de temas anteriores del disco. “Fragment # 3” Mas arreglos ambientales a modo de introducción. “In a Never Fading Illusion” que empieza a lo My Dying Bride, marchito por las cuatro esquinas, hasta que vuelven a ser ellos mismos. “Just Another Noise” que se puede decir de algo que su propio nombre lo dice. “Il Rimpianto”, ¿Se puede ser mas existencial? Maravilloso. “The Unsaid Words”, llegados a este punto y casi finalizando el disco, otro corte que pone los pelos de punta, simplemente perfecto. “Fragment # 4” en la línea de los otros. “Never again”, ¿Soñar?, ¿Volar?, ¿Sentir?, ¿Pensar?..... “Nothing left (to share)” despedida de esta gran obra única en su genero, un corte muy desgastado en su comienzo hasta llegar un clímax relajado o que es lo mismo: Canaan.

Canaan se convierten en Maestros del género y con este último disco ya se salen. Muy recomendable para los amantes de la buena música, de lo que está bien hecho. Se nota que le pusieron ganas. Un viaje en toda regla, si la música fuera droga................Un disco en el que no importan las excesivas melodías ni el feeling “comercial”. No apto para “wannabes”, eso es música seria.

93/100 :worship: