Can't get this snare drum to cut. help!!

ValleyStudios

Jul 21, 2012
I've always had a problem with my drum mixing, none of it sounds good at all. other than the drums, everything else is fine,

Last edited by a moderator:
Try a high shelf? It's got a really nice low end. Just crank some treble in or cut the mids to accentuate the upper frequencies.

It's missing something else too. SOMETHING is missing. MY drums don't sound full, and i've been trying for 3 years to fix it.

Try to add more heavy compresed bottom mic. Now you snare sounds too round and too punchy, you need some harsh and sustain on hi freq.

Your snare cuts fine, your mix just has no sense of glue and togetherness. Are you mixing into any comps or a faux master chain?

I have absolutely no compression, no anything. just pure music. I don't know how to do any of that stuff at all. videos don't give me what I want. I'm sure once I get it, it'll sound good.

Just practice mixing into a compressor. Put your best comp on the 2bus, before you begin mixing, with a slow attack. An auto release would work best, and 4:1 or 2:1 ratio should suffice as well.

Just practice mixing into a compressor. Put your best comp on the 2bus, before you begin mixing, with a slow attack. An auto release would work best, and 4:1 or 2:1 ratio should suffice as well.

If only, I knew what any of that means. I seriously need help, LOL.

If you can't understand what I was saying you need to spend more time with the basics, and less time worrying about why your snare isn't cutting the way you want.

Read up on all your basic plugins and mixing techniques, learn why these techniques are used as well as all the different jargon/lingo and everything will make sense to you.

You say you've been at this for three years, but were unable to understand basic compressor settings. That, I believe, is what is wrong with your drum mixing lol :)

If you can't understand what I was saying you need to spend more time with the basics, and less time worrying about why your snare isn't cutting the way you want.

Read up on all your basic plugins and mixing techniques, learn why these techniques are used as well as all the different jargon/lingo and everything will make sense to you.

You say you've been at this for three years, but were unable to understand basic compressor settings. That, I believe, is what is wrong with your drum mixing lol :)

Well, Here is my go with exactly what you said. IS it better?

That last mix you posted sounded great to my ears. Some of the more experienced guys on the forum may have a few pointers for you, but I can't think of any.

By the way, I love that reversed snare towards the end.

Sounds more glued, but you should check your GR level. The cymbals are pumping kinda nasty.

As for your dislike of the snare, maybe try blending different samples in. You're using Metal Machine, correct?

Sounds more glued, but you should check your GR level. The cymbals are pumping kinda nasty.

As for your dislike of the snare, maybe try blending different samples in. You're using Metal Machine, correct?

yeah i'm using metal machine, but i have like 3403030303003 different snares hah, so i should totally try that.

sound pretty fucking crushing to me, like stated above your cymbals are getting a bit messy. what are you using for your master comp/limiter?

Here guys, I finally finished the song, AND this is what I got, I compressed, blended snares, and kicks, and this is BY FAR, the BEST production I have ever done. Is it good enough?