Can't seem to be pleased by my guitar tone

Injectionboy

Jan 18, 2008
Hey guys, I'm trying to get my bass and guitar tone a bit fatter and fuzzier and have a bit more presence (ala for the fallen dreams, silent screams, the air I breathe).

this is what I currently have, does anyone have any tips concerning these types of tones? any advice would be awesome!

dropbox link

The rhythm guitar track sounds kind of Pod-ish. Assuming you're using sims/IRs, maybe try some different cab IRs. You might also want to try adding either the Ignite or TSE tube screamer sim to tighten things up a little as well.

Dude it sounds sick, haha. Idk wat you're trying to improve...aside from using a real amp i'd say you're doing a damn good job with what you've got.

I don't want things to be tighter, on the contrary, I want "gobs of gain" with more clarity and presence!

i would say if you're not using the cali diamond plate already, thats the pod farm amp you wanna be using. It's way looser and it sounds pretty good for deathcore and even that FTFD style guitar tone. U might wanna use a tubescreamer though because it will give you a lot more useable gain and you're gonna want to tighten up the cali d plate a little.

Damn dude idk to me it sounds perfect but you could always try rolling the tone back on the tubescreamer.

If i understood right what you were after, i think it's hard to achieve with your setup, you would have to change to some other gear to achieve such cool presence and fuzziness on the upper higs yet retain the from low to mid punch that powerful. I mean, that what you have going on there is by far more than many would desire. You couuuuuuld try doubletracking your guitartracks and ass some grit from lepous LeCto and blend those together. Do some über farty tone with it and you'll have a FÄSxäZÄFä on your sound.

dude, from my experience, when you're dealing with ITB guitar tone, you'll never be happy with it, simply because you can tweak it all the time. i'd spend hours and hours trying all these complex chains and what not, trying to fix little things that i thought annoyed me. wasted time.

i'm not some master AE by any stretch, but seriously, this sounds like it's "there" for me.

if you're really certain you're not happy with it, get out your reference mixes, listen to them for a while, and then do your mixing in short bursts (no more than 20 minutes), with long breaks between.

good luck,

dude, from my experience, when you're dealing with ITB guitar tone, you'll never be happy with it, simply because you can tweak it all the time. i'd spend hours and hours trying all these complex chains and what not, trying to fix little things that i thought annoyed me. wasted time.

i'm not some master AE by any stretch, but seriously, this sounds like it's "there" for me.

if you're really certain you're not happy with it, get out your reference mixes, listen to them for a while, and then do your mixing in short bursts (no more than 20 minutes), with long breaks between.

good luck,

+1

That seems to be forgotten skill.

thanks alot guys, if any of you have any tips to deal with the cali plate tone in terms of eq, C4, low end control, excitement and limiting, I would be eternally grateful! really!

Yeah man it sounds great as is, especially considering it's done by ampsim. :lol: What dani said, +1, just tweak in "small amounts" cause you have a great base sound going on to continue with.

theres just a little it too much mud in there that can be successfully eqd out. my guess is somehwere between 300 and 500 hz. a medium Q would probably work and im talking like maybe not even a db. its taking way from punch of the snare. also your 300- 600 hz on your snare room is too high imo and theres also not enough midrange smack, around 2k. so those two things and one more thing and i would be pretty pleased as a listener. your snare needs just a tad but more stick sound, boost around 2500 - 4000 k maybe a db and lastly set your attack on your compressor around 10-12 ms, release around 50 ms and go for about 5-6 db of gain reduction, automate your threshold higher ( for less gr) around the fills for a more natural sound. ok i lied one other thing as i listen, your overheads have a chunk that isnt pleasing. maybe its a matter of compression, say the attack is too long. eliminate that attack a db or two with a limiter and sweep the frequency around 400 hz, kill it. low shelf out 200hz and dow about 4 db.

still trying to work something out, still doesn't sound as clear as I want it to be!!! dammit

dropbox

I would PAY for a normal chain to use with podfarm..