can't seem to fit the lead guitar into the mix properly, any hints? :)

Nostalgiaplatz

So why not moving?
Dec 20, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I've been trying desperately to mix properly the lead, but it always seems to be too up front or too blurred into the mix. I'm just an enthusiast, trying to write music and wanting it to sound decently, so I'm not really sure what I should look into next? Guess that after 2hours listening to this over and over and experimenting I'm starting to have ear fatigue, so if you guys could get some comments up on this little sample, even if you don't like the sound itself. I've actually done a bit more of progress now that I've came across andy's C4 settings and was able to open up a hole in mix to snatch my lead into, but still not very happy about it in the whole. Not just the lead, but that one in particular is what's bothering me the most for now. Anything you can suggest, will be truly appreciated guys!

test2.mp3

Thanks for taking the time :)

Try automating the rythmn tracks so they open space during the solo, instead of making the lead fight for a space over the rest of the band. YouI could automate volume, EQ, compression, anything goes.

That's cool, but there will be sometime when both rhythm and lead (not solo) guitar is continuously side-by-side, what would/should you do in these circumstances?

Thanks

I don't get this one... Lead vocals can't be too loud. If its too quiet, just turn everything else down.

I mean like I frequently have that issue where they just seem too "seperate" or "on top" of the mix, rather than a part of the mix...

nah'mean ?

Hard to say, basically it depends. Try choosing one element at a time that gets the spotlight, if they both play equally important parts maybe compromise a bit of both in order to make them fit together. Most of the times, at least for me, choosing the right guitar/amp combination makes everything easier...

I still believe you can try automating one or the other.

Good luck

Did you use a different amp than what was used for rhythm? If not, it's a good place to start. With different amps, the lead & rhythm parts will have their own separate place in the spectrum. If you're using the same amp for both, they'll be competing..... and I'm guessing that's why you're having problems!

That's a pretty big range dude, I'd say stick around 1k, 2k can get unpleasantly nasal real fast - but of course, try it all, and go with what sounds best :)

boost the 1to3 khz region

I was going to say that too, but I really do think it depends on what EQ you are using. It can sound nasally if done too much, but like the lead vocal, boosting that area really can pull it out of the track.

I like using the Pultec's for the boosting of that area, seems very smooth and not as harsh as other EQ's. I think I almost always push 1k on the Pultec MEQ plug in.

Also, +1 to a different amp. if not a different amp...then a different mic or pre, will save you tons of time later.

Guys, you've been great. I apologize for not being online, but I will try all your tips. I will try with different amps (indeed, same pod amp!) I will also work on my vibrato skills, compress it and.. learn to automate. As for the boosting, isn't that range, as someone already said, too much?

I ussually boost 400-500hz area a lil bit, to give them some nice round character, then some 1-2khz a bit more than the low mids, and then 5k a bit. Finally I lowpass everything at a really low value (about 9-10khz). If still needs more presence, i boost a lil more on 1-2khz and 5-7khz, but carefully.

It all depends on the original amp, of course.