Capturing your own samples?

Ice Man

Sep 18, 2006
West Palm Beach, FL
Hey, all. I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster and I just wanted to say thanks for all the information exchanged and I'm sure it's helped others as much as it has me!

Anyhow. Recently, I've gotten into using drumagog and have been running around looking for samples, but I was wondering if there was a certain technique to capturing your own room and mic wise.

In sampling a snare, does one just throw a 57 over the rim and go to town? Do you blend in top, bottom, and a room mic?

I tried searching, but I didn't dig up much.

Thanks!

Ice Man said:
Hey, all. I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster and I just wanted to say thanks for all the information exchanged and I'm sure it's helped others as much as it has me!

Anyhow. Recently, I've gotten into using drumagog and have been running around looking for samples, but I was wondering if there was a certain technique to capturing your own room and mic wise.

In sampling a snare, does one just throw a 57 over the rim and go to town? Do you blend in top, bottom, and a room mic?

I tried searching, but I didn't dig up much.

Thanks!

There is a long thread on this subject named something like "acoustic drums for metal" or something.

Thanks for the replies, guys! Yeah, I've read through the Oz Drum guide and what a help that was! I just didn't know if there was a difference in technique between capturing an individual sample and capturing a kit as a whole. Also, should I process the dry sample at all before cutting it up for use, or should I just keep it unaltered? Thanks again.

Daniel

Ice Man said:
Thanks for the replies, guys! Yeah, I've read through the Oz Drum guide and what a help that was! I just didn't know if there was a difference in technique between capturing an individual sample and capturing a kit as a whole. Also, should I process the dry sample at all before cutting it up for use, or should I just keep it unaltered? Thanks again.

Daniel

that's up to you, I prefer using a "raw" one, I can always alter the processing afterwards...