Car audio people - modest subwoofer?

[UEAK]Clowd

Apr 29, 2008
yooooooo

I feel like there is an overwhelming amount of information (and misinformation) on this on the internet, so I'm calling upon my sneap brothers for help - I feel like at least a few of you know something or other about this stuff.

I just got a new car and I've always wanted to have some nice solid bass for crusin'. I'm not looking to have people hear me coming from a mile away or trying to hear the brown note or anything, just wanna be able to pump out some decent low end, which would serve the dual purpose of being enjoyable and giving me a secondary mix reference cause the bass in my room kinda sucks even with treatment.

Where should I begin? I know I will need an amp and a box to put it in... but that's about it.

There's plenty of decent stuff around. I've always had Rockford Fosgate stuff before. i just have a stock stereo now. An important thing to remember, is make sure you don't underpower your speaker. If you get a sub rated at 100 Watts RMS, you'll want to get an amp rated at closer to 125 or 150 watts RMS, or at least very close to the higher number in it's power range. If you underpower the driver, you'll run out of headroom. Think of that like clipping your master buss. Very bad for the speaker.

Kenwood and JL audio make nice stuff too. crutchfield.com is a wealth of knowledge and product.

+1 on Crutchfield, I bought a Kenwood system a few years ago (installed it myself in a '03 GMC Sierra 4-door 4x4 truck...), & it rocked. When you order what you want, you tell 'em what make/model your vehicle is, & they send you instructions on how to install everything without fucking it all up (like the door panels for example, I would have had no idea how to take them off & install the speaker without destroying 'em...). Made my truck's stereo system look (& sound) like it had been installed by a pro.....

just get a bazooka bass tube and be done with it, no messing with separate amps, enclosures, etc

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Bazooka-BTA6100-100-Watt-Amplified-Subwoofer/dp/B0002QYSA0[/ame]