__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Carnival In Coal – Collection Prestige
Elitist Records – 27th June 2005
By Russell Garwood

CiC.jpg

Mix disco, metal, Calapyso, and a shitload of other genres, add a good dose of insanity, in all probability numerous mind-altering substances, Mr Bungle and a gay pride parade. What do you get? Herpes! Wait, no, I mean, Carnival In Coal… Collection Prestige is liable to have strange effects on the listener, such as those just witnessed. This mix of many totally incompatible styles makes for an interesting, slightly disjointed, listen, and man, is it good fun! To list the different styles that crop up would be futile, but there is some fantastic shredding at points, lots of disco (the only pure disco track has lyrics about wanking at the scene of traffic accidents…. Just wow!), and some pretty unforgiving slabs of extreme metal. All in all the music is eclectic and memorable, clearly written with a light-hearted approach.

The production is good, and while the drums sound overtly programmed at times (well, they are, so I shouldn’t really complain), I have few other criticisms; all performances are excellent. Apart from the kazoo, that was slightly sloppy. Collection Prestige is well worth checking out if you’re in a sound state of mind, as it seems likely you’ll never hear anything else like it.

8/10

Official Elitist Records website
Official Carnival In Coal website