Cassius - I Am Jim Jones

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
Cassius - I Am Jim Jones
Life Force - January 9, 2007
By Ryan Starr

cassius-iamjimjones.jpg

How many times can you put a breakdown into a song before you simply lose your mind? Cassius test this theory in their song ‘Homeauxthug’ (homothug?) where there is a 2:1 breakdown ratio. That means for every two parts, one is a breakdown. And by my tally, there are a total of 26 breakdowns in this 34 minute album. Come on guys, breakdowns are fun and all, but so is variety.

Basically Cassius is all about the core, and there is nothing wrong with that. I own some core CD’s, which is something I probably shouldn’t admit. But hey, I’m all about new ideas and genre crossing. But there is nothing new about Cassius, they’re simply taking what others have already done and put their spin on it. I hear a lot of Atreyu, All Shall Perish, and Meshuggah influences in this debut. There is also some experimentation with noise mixed in here, just to make sure you’re nice and annoyed, if you weren’t already. But in the midst of typical metalcore breakdowns and noisy dissonant parts there are a couple cool grind style riffs, which can probably be credited to long nights in their tour van (they moved out of their apartment and got a van and trailer) listening to Cephalic Carnage and Dillinger Escape Plan.

This last bit is just for the band. You guys are trying to make it big, that’s fantastic, and I wish you all the luck in world. Earning a living with your band is every musicians dream. But you’re not going to make it if you don’t stand out from the rest. Bands like you are a dime a dozen. Look at Black Sabbath, they started something completely original, and that’s what you need to do. I’ve got another recommendation: lay off the breakdowns. Sure they’re heavy, and they get the crowd going, but you use them as a crutch.

Expand your horizons, listen to some Wagner and Stravinsky (they should be right up your alley), or go back to the 80’s and dig up some classics like Entombed’s Left Hand Path or Bathory’s Blood Fire Death. Mix it up and you’ll find some new inspiration. I wish you the best, good luck!

Official Cassius Website
Official Life Force Website

This last bit is just for the band. You guys are trying to make it big, that’s fantastic, and I wish you all the luck in world. Earning a living with your band is every musicians dream. But you’re not going to make it if you don’t stand out from the rest. Bands like you are a dime a dozen. Look at Black Sabbath, they started something completely original, and that’s what you need to do. I’ve got another recommendation: lay off the breakdowns. Sure they’re heavy, and they get the crowd going, but you use them as a crutch.

Expand your horizons, listen to some Wagner and Stravinsky (they should be right up your alley), or go back to the 80’s and dig up some classics like Entombed’s Left Hand Path or Bathory’s Blood Fire Death. Mix it up and you’ll find some new inspiration. I wish you the best, good luck!

Official Cassius Website
Official Life Force Website

lol at half the review being advice to these guys.