Catching SunCaged...

Ultima Ibanez Overlord

-=The Dude Abides=-
Mar 17, 2002
999 letsby avenue
www.mp3.com
I've got a return flight ticket for Amsterdam that I can take anytime between January and April of 2003. I wondered if, by some miraculous stroke of good fortune, there's any chance that Sun Caged will be playing somewhere reasonably near Amsterdam inbetween any of those dates.
Does anyone know (Dennis?)?

I checked on Sun Caged's site, and there are only a couple of dates within that period. Does anyone know if the locations listed are within a do-able coach trip from Amsterdam?

YO!

We're playing at De Boerderij in Zoetermeer together with Vanden Plas somehwere in January (probably the 30th). Should be confirmed soon!

That's maybe 45 minutes by train from Amsterdam!

Otherwise you'd have to come you our show on Feb. 7th which is only 30 minutes from Amsterdam. We'll pick you up from stations etc. No problem!.
Cheers,

Dennis / Sun Caged

Hey, thanks Dennis. That's so awesome of you.

I think I'd probably plum for the Feb. 7th show, it gives me more time to try to convince someone to come with me, and it's a Friday, which makes it more likely I'll be successful.
The only thing I need to do is sort out a hostel room to stay in. That'll be no problem at all.

I'll bring a video camera and record the show, if that's ok? I could get the video online and send it to you guys if you'd like.

I was just investigating Marcel Coenen's site and downloaded the video of Sides. Sickening stuff! Marcel is such an awesome guitarist. All of you guys absolutely rule!

Anyhow, thanks again.

Lee

Lee,

The venue where we'l play with VandenPlas is much cooler (www.boerderij.org... Star One, Pain Of Salvation, Symphony X all played there.. to name but a few) and you'd also be able to catch VandenPlas!
What is the max price you could afford for a hostel/hotel room?
I can check out some prices for you.

Cheers,

Dennis

I suppose the VP show does seem better, I quite like VP, so seeing those guys with you guys would be fantastic. And if it's a better venue....:hotjump:

Well, there isn't really a limit on costs. The airline ticket I have hasn't cost me anything, it was a gift from my mother :)
And I'll pretty much only be coming over to see you guys play, so I'll happily come over, see the show, stay the night and then head home. So, money won't be a huge problem.
Obviously, a combination of the cheapest/most comfortable/least seedy place to stay is the best option, and if I can manage to wangle a few days in Holland, that'll be better, but there really isn't a limit.

I've just been looking at prices, and there's a hostel called The Flying Pig Palace which can offer a room for between 18 and 23 US Dollars. Those are pretty common prices and are very affordable.

I'll do a bit of investigating of my own and see if I can come up with a good time table and whatnot.

Thanks a bunch again for the help and info, Dennis. You rule, man!

Lee

No problem man!
I'll make sure you're on the guestlist too.
The venue is absolutely awesome so I'm sure you'll like it.
You should check for a hostel or hotel in Leiden or Zoetermeer so that it's easy to go from there to the venue and back.

Dennis

Originally posted by Redelijk
YO!

We're playing at De Boerderij in Zoetermeer together with Vanden Plas somehwere in January (probably the 30th). Should be confirmed soon!

That's maybe 45 minutes by train from Amsterdam!

Otherwise you'd have to come you our show on Feb. 7th which is only 30 minutes from Amsterdam. We'll pick you up from stations etc. No problem!.
Cheers,

Dennis / Sun Caged

Cooooooooooooooooooooool!!!!!! You are playing in Zoetermeer! thats where i live!! b.t.w. From amsterdam to zoetermeer is about an hour by train. How much mony is it gonna cost? O man i can't wait!!

Hey thanks Dennis. I'll try to let you know as soon as possible about concrete plans.
I just need to find out if my friend will join me on the trip, if not, I'll do it alone.

Hey Satriani! That rocks that it's your town. Maybe I'll catch you at the show or something!

Thanks guys!

Lee

Dear Redelijk,
I have been living with the guilt of having not attended the PP this year (Star One being a big priority and money short on the ground).

Thanks to my friend Lee's persuation (hum OK it doesn't take much persuation with me), it now looks very likely that I'll be at the first row for your VP support in Zxxx...

I look forward to see you set fire to a stage (while you've have witness how ridiculous I look in action with your own eyes already grrr).

Until then, take care!
Rogue

PS: so you're on the BTL stuff as well, hey? try to do the session for Media Vision and we'll be partners in crime / blood brothers / Simon & Garfunkel / Groucho and his self marx, etc, etc...

[edit (dennis) - fixed the post... for some reason all sentenses were glued together...]

Originally posted by RogueM
Dear Redelijk,
I have been living with the guilt of having not attended the PP this year (Star One being a big priority and money short on the ground).

Thanks to my friend Lee's persuation (hum OK it doesn't take much persuation with me), it now looks very likely that I'll be at the first row for your VP support in Zxxx...

I look forward to see you set fire to a stage (while you've have witness how ridiculous I look in action with your own eyes already grrr).

Until then, take care!
Rogue

PS: so you're on the BTL stuff as well, hey? try to do the session for Media Vision and we'll be partners in crime / blood brothers / Simon & Garfunkel / Groucho and his self marx, etc, etc...
Yo Rogue!
LOL. You did not look rediculous. You're an awsome singer my man! What do you mean by "try to do the session for Media Vision"?
I think I was one of the first musicians Geert asked to be on BTL. Haven't played a note yet, though (after 2,5 years?).

You're definately on the guestlist in Zoetermeer man!

Thanks,

Dennis

Well, Rogue, myself and another dude are all set to head over. We have our tickets, we'll just need to find a place to stay. But we're commited now, so even if we have to sleep in the street, we're gonna see ya rock! lol

I'm looking forward to this a lot. I've only heard the stuff on the site, but I'm still looking forward to it. Vanden Plas will be cool, but you guys are the main reason for coming. I hope you play Sides, I'd like to hear how it's changed. But I'm really holding out for Sedation and Killer Banshee! Fucking Awesome songs!

Will it be ok to take pictures in the gig? If we manage to get any cool ones, I'll make sure you get a copy of any worth having.

Thanks for all the help so far and the guestlist spot, Dennis. You've been ultra cool, man.

Lee

Originally posted by Ultima Ibanez Overlord
Well, Rogue, myself and another dude are all set to head over. We have our tickets, we'll just need to find a place to stay. But we're commited now, so even if we have to sleep in the street, we're gonna see ya rock! lol
Awesome! As for a place to sleep.... Look here: http://www.bookings.nl/nl/cgi-bin/searchpage.pl?lang=uk&id=100001&style=B Search for hotels in Zoetermeer. There are a couple that are pretty cheap!

I'm looking forward to this a lot. I've only heard the stuff on the site, but I'm still looking forward to it. Vanden Plas will be cool, but you guys are the main reason for coming. I hope you play Sides, I'd like to hear how it's changed. But I'm really holding out for Sedation and Killer Banshee! Fucking Awesome songs!
I'm afraid I have to spoil a bit of the show for you here. Since we're the support act, we only have 45 minutes (as opposed to 1,5 hours if we would headline). So we had to make a (tough) choice between the songs we have. So don't expect all of the songs you mentioned to be played... :)

Will it be ok to take pictures in the gig? If we manage to get any cool ones, I'll make sure you get a copy of any worth having.
Not a problem :)

Thanks for all the help so far and the guestlist spot, Dennis. You've been ultra cool, man.

Lee
No problem man! It's awesome that you're coming over to see us from so far!

Cheers,

Dennis

Hi Dennis

The gig last night was super fucking amazing!! We were really impressed with you guys. You're super slick live. I love the recorded stuff, and the live videos, but seeing you play is a whole other ball game. Truly incredible. I really can't decide which element was my favourite, but the vocals sounded amazing, and Marcel's backing vocals were great.
Every single part of every song sounded fantastic, from the smallest detail.
But as a guitar player, the guitar really blew me away.
We were standing right by Marcel, right in front of him. He is a really awesome player, but I can't praise all of you enough.

Closing In is what was called Sides, yeah? I think it's my favourite now. Either that or 4 Guilders. I can't remember the set list too well, but from start to finish...brilliant!!

The guy I was with took a whole load of pictures. If there are any good ones, I'll post them here. But if you want to see them anyway, let me know and I'll get them to you in a zip file or something.

We wanted to hang around and see Vanden Plas, but we couldn't 'cause we had to go find a room to stay in, which was hard work lol

Thanks for saying Hi to us before the show. And thanks again for the spot on the guestlist. And if you see him, could you say a thankyou to P.M who helped us a little before the show?

Rogue, is you see this, you missed out, dude!! But I'm sure I'll go on about it to you soon ;)

Lee,

Thanks so much for the kind words man!!
I looked all around for you after the show but couldn't find you! The least I could have done was buy you a beer and help you out finding a place to sleep.

Closing In was indeed called Sides, in the "old days" when it had different vocals, and when we had a different singer ;)

This is the setlist we played last night:

- Intro
1. The 8th Day
2. Secrets Of Flight
3. New song 1
4. Four Guilders
5. Unchanging
6. Closing In
7. New song 2
8. Sedation

"New Song 1" and "New Song 2" used to be the working titles when we wrote the songs. The songs do have actual titles now (although I can't remember them LOL!), but we keep forgetting them and mixing them up, so we put the old working titles on the setlist to make sure we all knew what song to play :D . We only finished those two songs recently. Today, at rehearsals, we actually rebuilt "New Song 1". A week before entering the studio. phew :)

About the photos: please post them here! Anything you think is good. THANKS!!

And thanks again for coming all the way to Holland to see us. YOU ROCK!

Cheers,

Dennis

Shit, I had hoped to hang around to say a few words of congratulations to you.
I waited until just before Vanden Plas came on, but Phil, the dude I was with, he kept on saying "come on, let's go, or we'll have nowhere to stay".
Well, maybe I'll catch you again soon, man. I'll definitely be coming to the Headway festival.

Judging from the people standing near me, it looked like you won yourself a whole army of new fans.
There was a guy standing next to me who'd come to see Vanden Plas, we spoke a little about Vanden Plas and how he loved them. I was saying to him "you wait until you hear these guys, you're gonne be sick". He was completely blown away. He was there with his whole band. I think they were all bowled over.

I've just seen in the Sun Caged newsletter post that Pain of Salvation are billed to play Headway. They're one of my favourite bands. That show will rock!! What an excellent line up!

Lee