circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Catheter – Dimension 303
Selfmadegod Records – SMG019 – November 1st, 2005
By Jason Jordan

smg019_170.jpg

And the other thing I like about Catheter is the no-nonsense attitude, which coats all of Dimension 303. Overall, this is the trio’s sophomore outing even though they’ve got about ten splits lumbering about in the metal world. Still – in spite of what they’ve accomplished thus far – I’m convinced that Dimension 303 will serve as the primary introduction to this American band. Whether good or bad, this isn’t anything that Napalm Death or Rotten Sound haven’t done before, but this full-length indicates that audiences have another promising grindcore act on their hands.

Honestly, the fact that Catheter (a name that makes me wince) are signed to Selfmadegod Records – a company quickly amassing a bevy of noteworthy artists – only lends credence to the former. I sincerely doubt that elucidation is needed here, because this is formulaic grind: brutal, fast, and short. The multi-faceted vocal approach not only intensifies the music, but it helps keep things interesting. Each member, in addition to his respective instrument, contributes to the vocal fray. However, I must touch upon Mardones’s drumming because of its sheer tastefulness. Not only is H Murder able to compose intricate patterns when needed, but also he’s content to stick with minimalism when the riffs deserve the attention. Brann Dailor (Mastodon): take note. Other numbers tend to be eviscerating, too, plus the bass is much more audible on this recording than on hundreds of others I’ve come across. With eighteen songs to browse, Dimension 303 is not afraid to hit the thirty-five minute mark, which is a rarity as far as grind is concerned, and the sludginess such as in “Waste Time” increases their likeability marginally.

Though much of Catheter’s sound can be chalked up to the trailblazers of grindcore, they’re investigating something worthwhile here. The pure antagonistic grind, with hints of trashy sludge, is an interesting mixture, and fanatics of the subgenre may just do a double-take when Dimension 303 bleeds from the speakers. As of now, Catheter are the best that Selfmadegod Records has to offer, and that’s saying something.

7.5/10

Official Catheter Website
Official Selfmadegod Records Website

I agree they are the best right now on Selfmadegod. Plus, this was the only record I've gotten from the label where I didn't feel cheated by the length.

Screwy that an American band had to hook up with a Polish label, ain't it?o_O