circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Incarnated – Pleasure of Consumption
Selfmadegod Records – SMG 022 – March 9th, 2006
By Jason Jordan

smg022_170.jpg

Taking their sweet time, Poland’s Incarnated have existed since 1992, but didn’t unleash their debut, Human Flesh, until almost a decade later. Now, after signing to Poland’s own Selfmadegod Records, the boys have released their follow-up known as Pleasure of Consumption, a brutal death/goregrind hybrid that is a somewhat generic romp. It’s a mindless listen, although this sophomore outing doesn’t improve upon anything the scene has seen beforehand. Homonyms rule. But unlike several of their labelmates, Incarnated are fulfilling the informal length requirement I bring to the table each time I review an LP. Sadly, length and substance are only strong when working hand-in-hand; if one is severely lacking, then the album in question will be considerably less effective.

Despite the innate talent displayed, most everything about Pleasure of Consumption reeks of unoriginality. Thus, there’s not much to differentiate Incarnated from similar contemporaries, since this trio isn't striking in any particular way. I must also reference the production, because it ain’t that great either. While the vocals, guitars, and tinnier portions of the drums (cymbals, hi-hat, etc.) sound all right, the bass drums click incessantly, like someone continuously clicking ballpoint pens. I suppose “Disturbance of Consciousness” has some noteworthy riffs, and this group fares better when they aren’t in a rush. Songs such as “Blood for Blood” and “Human Meat” are blast fests, while “Oscullum Obscenum” obviously summons Hypocrisy from their Swedish abodes, even though there are definitive hints of Nihilist/Entombed and Dismember floating about. Tacked to the end of Pleasure of Consumption are three bonuses, which first appeared on a demo from 1997. I like the primal underground feel to ‘em, and wished there more to offset some of the new material. As musicians often do, Pierscien (guitars, bass, vocals) and Thomas (guitars) moonlight occasionally, spreading their inspirations among both Incarnated and Neuropathia.

A decent artillery – as far as pure instrumentation goes – and a solid length won’t get you too far if the songwriting and overall sound are underwhelming. Incarnated haven’t done much to separate themselves from the hordes of bands combining these extreme styles, and I for one would rather stick to other Selfmadegod mobs such as Catheter and Wojczech. Yep.

5/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Incarnated Website
Official Selfmadegod Records Website

This was a gory chainsaw holocaust of relentless proportion and the most brutal record I've heard in a long time. NOT for everyone!