circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Third Degree – Outstay
Selfmadegod Records – SMG 018 – July 7th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

smg018_170.jpg

I know this probably looks like the most unappealing album ever, due to the ugly cover art, but really it’s pretty good. Thirty-five minutes of Napalm Death-like grindcore is what Third Degree play, and some of you may recognize Selfmadegod Records with them having re-released Antigama’s Discomfort in the year of our Lord 2005. Concerning Outstay, though, the formerly mentioned is leagues above decent and I must confess that I like it the more I listen to it, despite its apparent shunning of originality.

Thirteen grind songs can’t be wrong, and that’s what Outstay has to present. And, mostly, the band’s attributes are facilely explainable. The compositions aren’t radically different from one another, which is probably either good or bad with no room in between, and the production makes the instrumentation – especially the drums – sound quite thunderous. Interestingly enough, Third Degree have a propensity for echoing both Meshuggah (“Why Are They Not Coming?”) and latter-day Living Sacrifice (“No Forgiveness”), but more often than not Napalm Death peek out from under Outstay’s sheets. Since the group fancies grindcore, it follows that the tunes are concise in their length, though liberal in their amount of fury. Overall, one shouldn’t have any trouble deciphering the quintet’s talents due, in part, to the musicianship, and a handful of riffs, beats, and rhythms radiate a ferocity that was expertly calculated.

In comparison to their contemporaries, these blokes aren’t reinventing anything with Outstay. But, in contrast, Poland’s Third Degree know what they’re doing, and this sophomore full-length is a succinct look at modern grindcore. I won’t advocate running out – like a maniac – and purchasing this at full price. However, fans of the subgenre will have no qualms about scooting up next to these guys, if and when the situation calls for it. As for now, I wouldn’t mind getting the Third Degree occasionally.

7.5/10

Official Third Degree Website
Official Selfmadegod Records Website