In the Dragon's Den
Mar 31, 2003
Chicago, IL
www.themetalchick.net
Degree Absolute - Degree Absolute
Sensory Records - SR3019 - Jan. 31, 2006
by Amanda J. Carlson
DegreeAbsolute.jpg

This new prog band has embarked on an intriguing musical journey with their debut album. It’s no wonder why they feel they can’t be placed under one specific genre label, because each song is quite different from the next. Prog is too broad a term. Maybe something like technical-ambient-thrash-jazz-power-prog-rock-metal would be appropriate. In no particular order, of course.

The album starts out simple with “Exist,” dark and heavy with a basic vocal line, and a splash of prog in the instrumental middle section. Things get technical for the next two songs before slamming on the brakes to begin ambient mode. “Distance” sounds like something you’d hear at a mellow jazz club, and that combined with the next track make up the two songs that really taint the solid coolness that is this album. It’s such a stretch from the heavier tracks that they seem very out of place. Vocals are absent on these songs, not coming back until the last two, which for the most part save this album from boring me. His voice isn’t the greatest I’ve ever heard, but at least they’ve gotten back to rocking - something they really need to stick with.

Employing such a variety of tastes into music is a great idea, and takes a lot of skill. Degree Absolute has shown they have the drive to do it, and I think if they keep at it, they will most likely grow into a powerful prog influence.

6.5/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Degree Absolute Official Website
Sensory Records Official Website