CCNA certification - anyone done it?

Yeah man go to college, there's millions of folks who just collected certs and can't get a foot in the door. Most times it's "B.S. in CS or related field" which is proof the HR idiots don't have a clue what they're hiring for but that's how it goes. And with networking, you gotta get your hands dirty. Kinda like "engineering" an album, you gotta know the gear and how to rig it up. Being a CS guy myself, I kinda find the "sound engineer" and "studio engineer" terms an insult, since most of those guys know fuck all of the complex calculus involved in sound. I work for a sound and light rental company doing office IT and PR, so it's kinda fun. The pay sucks but you get to fuck with all sorts of nice gear in the warehouse when shit quiets down ("I'm going to inspect...the Pro6 and the new EAW's"). You could definitely get a job with your old degree where I am though, and get a ton of money. They would ask for experience though.

Haha, yeah I got one of these when going through high school. Was pretty cool stuff. I think I would be more switched on to the source material these days since my attention span is longer.

I trust it's been updated, since all the stuff I would have learned is basically obsolete now.

I have the ccna cert (and the mcse) and tbh its not hard if you take the time to properly read it and take notes and if there is something you dont understand then google it and read up on it.
When you do a chapter test, make sure to go back after and find out what you had wrong and then research it so you will know it for next time :).

and like rlcramer said, make sure to get started on playing with the equipment as soon as possible and don't be afraid to experiment and venture a bit out of what the books are currently teaching you.. It will benefit you alot later

Now about the value of the cert.. meh, atleast in Denmark its part of the easiest IT education you can get (2 year education mixing internship and school stays).. So when you get it you don't actual get a big advantages, rather you just step up to the same level as everyone else heh
But hey, have fun and good luck :).. I enjoyed taking it alot :D

Guys, CCNA is not like a college degree....in some places it's necessary if you wanna work. So it's good if Marcus gets a college degree but if he wanna work into the networking, CCNA is a must.

i had a friend in the army whose studying this shit... iv'e got no clue till this very day what the hell any of this means...

so good luck!

Yes a degree will get you the interview but the cert will get you the job. As long as you seriously study for it the CCNA isnt that tough to pass.

Currently in my first year for a degree in Networking. I intend to study for the CCNA certificate sometime during this period.

I have friends in my class who did this course at 15. I don't know the level of difficulty or length, but it sure sounds interesting and I heard its quite intensive. But I have no doubts you'll kick ass.

Good luck dude!

I'll check out those CBT Nuggets things though, certainly can't hurt to have the info presented in a different way!

However, it is a bit frustrating how they'll go on and on about legacy/outdated technologies; I don't wanna skip over anything, but it's pretty trying to read (and try to comprehend) page after page about, for example, CSMA/CD, only to next read that it'll soon be rendered pretty much useless! :bah: (with the increasing ubiquity of switches and full-duplex operation)
Good luck with it!
If you dont have access to real routers or switches try Cisco Packet Tracer. Its a simulation so you can practice with the commands and stuff!

Yup, we used Packet Tracer in class regularly, and part of our final this mornig was a simple skills exercise in Packet Tracer, setting up and configuring a network with a couple of subnets (determining the amount of host bits needed, and using VLSM) and configuring the router with password protection, message of the day, descriptions for the FastEthenet ports, etc., all through the CLI using a virtual terminal on one of hosts connected with a Serial link - I got a 100 on that, and a 93 on the written final :cool: