CD collection is getting stale........

Cheers for the replies everyone, very much appreciated!! Some of you guys have mentioned bands I already listen to…. which is inevitable! Any suggestion is welcome though! I was thinking along the lines of bands that are a bit……….not obscure but not well known and would be hard to find without recommendation…….if you get what I mean! I should probably have said what kind of stuff is in my collection:

Metallica, Opeth, Nevermore, Bloodbath, Tool, Porcupine Tree, 'Liiva era' Arch Enemy, Death, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Dimmu Borgir, Slayer, King Crimson, Yes, Wishbone Ash, Witchery, Nile, Quo Vadis, Mastodon, etc etc. The list goes on but that kind of covers the range I like. Whoever said about obZen, good call, checked out Meshuggah’s myspace the other day as I’d heard good things and that album looks to be tasty technical stuff!! I like pretty much anything brutal, beautiful, loud, quiet and so on, I guess mainly within the ‘rock’ umbrella. My favourite band has been Opeth since i was 16 in 2003 and hasn’t changed since so I’m sure you guys know exactly the kind of stuff I’d dig! I’ll check out the bands you guys have mentioned! Cheers again!

I would like to recommend IN MOURNINGs Shrouded Divine, the Opeth-influences may be a tad too obvious ;) but it's a great album.
http://www.myspace.com/in_mourning

shrouded_divine.jpg
Pretty good band, definitely check them out.

anything?

I second Giant Squid and Witchcraft
also:
Sigur Ros
Son de Madera
Linda Perhacs
Kevin Johansen
Clint Mansell
Blondie
Rodrigo y Gabriela
Andrea Bocelli
Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
are all some I've been listening to lately (in addition to the metal that's always there)

go to myspace and check out ETCHED IN RED you will find your new favorite band do it now.While your at myspace division by zero are worth a look, and newbreed, both are great polish prog metal bands.

go to myspace and check out ETCHED IN RED you will find your new favorite band do it now.While your at myspace division by zero are worth a look, and newbreed, both are great polish prog metal bands.

etched in red: nu metal (sounds a bit like mudvayne meets linkin park ...)

division by zero: sounds nice, but a bit directionless still ...

newbreed: all songs sound alike to be honest

seems like nowadays everyone calls themselves progressive (just check out on myspace all the bands that use this word to describe themselves) ... who would have thought that that name would become a bit of a hype

I have always liked ''El Cielo'' a fucking lot, but couldn't really grasp or understand ''CWA''. Recently i discovered that ''CWA'' is a gorgeous album and i shouldn't have dismissed it for such a long time.

It's definately great for what it is - a rock album. Nothing so "arty" or "progressive" like El Cielo and Leitmotiff were trying to be. I still prefer El Cielo, but I find myself in the mood for Catch a lot. Matrushka is probably my favorite song of the band - I can listen to it looped for weeks, and still never tire of it.

You check out the live album?