CD INZANE II NEW SITE LAUNCHED: *FREE SHIPPING ON PHONE ORDERS (SEE BOTTOM OF BLOG):

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the reasons behind Japanese CD's getting bonus tracks because CD's are more expensive in their home country, blah, blah, blah. However for the diehard fans who want to hear EVERYTHING that their favorite bands record, what other option are we presented other than being forced to buy an overpriced import?

I'd like to see the labels come up with a solution that would encourage domestic purchases and prevent me from spending $30-$40+ on a CD.

My overly simplified suggestion would be to release a CD-single of an album track or an EP that would also include the Japanese/European bonus track(s) (and maybe some videos or behind-the-scenes DVD content) after an acceptable amount of time passes beyond the Japanese/European street date (and I don't know what this should be... a couple months? Six months? A year?) This could be sold for around $10 and that, plus the cost of the original domestic CD, would still come out cheaper for me than buying the import and I'd be buying "American," getting all the content I want, and all the while I'm still supporting the local music scene.

I understand the reasons behind Japanese CD's getting bonus tracks because CD's are more expensive in their home country, blah, blah, blah. However for the diehard fans who want to hear EVERYTHING that their favorite bands record, what other option are we presented other than being forced to buy an overpriced import?

I'd like to see the labels come up with a solution that would encourage domestic purchases and prevent me from spending $30-$40+ on a CD.

My overly simplified suggestion would be to release a CD-single of an album track or an EP that would also include the Japanese/European bonus track(s) (and maybe some videos or behind-the-scenes DVD content) after an acceptable amount of time passes beyond the Japanese/European street date (and I don't know what this should be... a couple months? Six months? A year?) This could be sold for around $10 and that, plus the cost of the original domestic CD, would still come out cheaper for me than buying the import and I'd be buying "American," getting all the content I want, and all the while I'm still supporting the local music scene.

Those are in our plans for some of the titles :)

Claus

Not to try to switch subjects, but I seriously thought that last word said something else....
Silly, Skeeter. THOSE don't come with bonus tracks, (or do they? :err: )
All I'm gonna say is I can't help it, I HAVE to have the bonus tracks. Ok, some of them are crappy filler the bands feel forced to record to please the Japanese distributers. Those I skip, but sometimes they're real gems. Find me a way to get them that helps the US labels and I'm all for it.

So I've done a little bit of reading on Parallel Import laws. I'm amazed that such a thing is actually illegal, but OK. But things still aren't adding up in this discussion.

We have vendors and promoters and record label owners posting on this forum that are fully aware of this happening. CD Inzane is clearly doing this and advertises on this forum (or his blog, as he seems to think it is).

Amazon has the Japanese version of Raintime's new album available for sale right now. The US version is available for preorder.

CDUniverse has the US version of Circus Maximus' new album on sale. But it also has an Italian version (Frontiers I guess) and a Japanese version available for preorder.

Major label releases get this treatment all the time on Amazon (just looked up U2 and Rolling Stones... yup, domestic and imports side by side).

CD Inzane's import version of Isolate is $15.95. Laser's Edge is selling their US version for $13.

Inzane's import version of Flies and Lies is $16.95. Amazon has the list price of the US version at $13.98 (CD Universe has it for $11.98).

If it's a matter of resources, I figure the majors wouldn't blink at squashing this problem. If it's a matter of "not worth it," that doesn't explain Amazon selling parallel imports for years - surely they're a worthwhile target. So... why isn't action taken?

Where is the harm of Inzane selling of an import version of Isolate for $3 more than the domestic label's own version? How does Claus and Mosquitos examples not break down entirely when the imports aren't undercutting the domestic version?

(about parallel importation laws... there isn't a law in creation that's black-and-white, cut-and-dried... is it still illegal if the import isn't cheaper? Is it legally considered the same product under these laws if the content is different? "+x bonus tracks with different packaging" kind of thing?)

What am I missing?

Amazon has the Japanese version of Raintime's new album available for sale right now. The US version is available for preorder.

Yes, it'll be released next week I believe in the US.

CDUniverse has the US version of Circus Maximus' new album on sale. But it also has an Italian version (Frontiers I guess) and a Japanese version available for preorder.?

I actually think Ken have told them to stop doing that; in other words, he already issued a "Cease and desist" order to them (or as CDInzane calls it : seaze and assist).

"Major label releases get this treatment all the time on Amazon (just looked up U2 and Rolling Stones... yup, domestic and imports side by side).

CD Inzane's import version of Isolate is $15.95. Laser's Edge is selling their US version for $13.

Inzane's import version of Flies and Lies is $16.95. Amazon has the list price of the US version at $13.98 (CD Universe has it for $11.98).

If it's a matter of resources, I figure the majors wouldn't blink at squashing this problem. If it's a matter of "not worth it," that doesn't explain Amazon selling parallel imports for years - surely they're a worthwhile target. So... why isn't action taken?

It will cost a lot of money to start a law suit against small mailorder companies like CD Inzane and I doubt Sensory, Bieler Bros or most other people would care about doing that. which is also part of the reason I'm putting this out in public, so at least his customers knows what they are getting into.

Where is the harm of Inzane selling of an import version of Isolate for $3 more than the domestic label's own version? How does Claus and Mosquitos examples not break down entirely when the imports aren't undercutting the domestic version?

The harm is in the fact that people who shop through CD Inzane will end up buying the version he has available, which is the version that originally comes from the European license holder. This means that the US sales of Sensory's version won't be representative of the number of CDs actually sold in the US. For us, the band/management, this could mean a lesser tour support from the label that what we actually should get (in case the tour support is based on the number of sold CDs). For the fans this means the bands won't be touring.

(about parallel importation laws... there isn't a law in creation that's black-and-white, cut-and-dried... is it still illegal if the import isn't cheaper? Is it legally considered the same product under these laws if the content is different? "+x bonus tracks with different packaging" kind of thing?)

What am I missing?

Yes, it's still illegal. Even if the "import" is 10 times as expensive, it's still illegal. If the content is different, it's still illegal. What matters is who has the rights to the album in which territory.

Claus

want me to stop buying import either thru an american based distro like cdinzane or going directly from overseas- put the same damn tracks on the cds over here so I don't have to hunt them down.

Plus when a cd is coming out almost half a year(not weeks) in advance of the US release, I don't always have the patience to just wait. I guess I could just illegally download like a ton full of other people but I choose to give my hard earned money towards the product created by the band.

want me to stop buying import either thru an american based distro like cdinzane or going directly from overseas- put the same damn tracks on the cds over here so I don't have to hunt them down.

Plus when a cd is coming out almost half a year(not weeks) in advance of the US release, I don't always have the patience to just wait. I guess I could just illegally download like a ton full of other people but I choose to give my hard earned money towards the product created by the band.

This has already been discussed further up in the thread, bro. =) Though I understand the frustration.

This is exactly what I was telling someone not too long ago. Firewind, Leverage, and Brother Firetribe among many others have done this, and I love it.

However I am a collector and a completist so almost all labels win with me. However I admit I buy the import if available 1st.

If the territories could arrange the same street dates it would avoid these issues however Im sure its much easier said than done.

I buy mostly imports! Im impatient.

*** I'm with John here. I have no patience, therefore, I will buy Imports first and/or download.THEN, I ALWAYS PURCHASE the original cd (U.S. version). I also as Ken might know, purchase multiple copies of the same title (that's my OCD). I love to own ALL ORIGINAL copies of my music and support the mom amd pop shops as well. Downloading can be a great way off getting those out of print releases that I cannot purchase. But all in all the scene is getting more and more cut throat. I've made my share of mistakes with my "label" with great intentions but could not "cash the check my ass wrote", LIVE AND LEARN. Bottom line......Sensory was strong armed into releasing Circus Maximus a month early, though we were all excited to have it, IT IS NOT RIGHT. I give Claus and Ken props for braving the storm because they do it out of love for the music. If they wanted to make money they would be signing nu-metal crap or pop shit. Most of us here know pre-ordering is a crock of shit unless the title is limited edition which is rarely the case. The "get it here first" shit is a joke UNLESS you actually stock the cd FIRST, legally. Don't claim to have a cd in stock unless you actually do. I had to open my mouth, sorry :saint:

Zanes pre-ordering and shipment schedule is what led me to stop buying from his site (that was over a year ago). Nothing bad personally against him from my own dealings but I dont care for the business practices.

Those pre-orders go up fast ...the trigger happy fan orders it and by the time you get it 5 other shops got it in by then and probably shipped em out 1st.

BTW sorry Ken for not emailing you back but my Circus Maximus CD did come that following Monday. :)

I don't preorder anymore. Its not like video games where they might run out if you don't, and you are basically guaranteed that every store will start selling it the same day. Typically can get copies once they are in.

But Zane does have a number of good deals, and I haven't had issues with his site. Only complaint as others have noted, is that sometimes the order status isn't accurate.

Ken: I am not sure who you think you are, but your meaner and manor the way you've treated me and everyone here in the past has not been kind. I personally don't take kindly to the way you've vented your frustation to us above so it make you no bigger than Claud.

As stated today in honesty, no one contacted us about your U.S. release, and beings you obviously have been looking onto us for the past months during preorder, I guess this is mainly pointed at you as to why you did not notify us of your license, maybe so you can appear LARGE and then act malicious. If you think that we have time to run around on the web all day and see what everyone is doing (like obviously you do for months), then I guess you are underestimating us. It is not kind to try and trash someone who has kept you a bit higher than some of those around, I guess that is yet another firm refreshing business lesson, all is not fair in sales. I cannot say we speak highly of you moreafter the way you air your junk on our blog.

For respect of your company and licensing, we will discontinue the Circus Maximus title. The band will loose in sales for this as many don't care for your company. In the future, maybe you will learn a lesson to inform those on what you are licensing. Maybe you will sell more to those whom can sell a lot for you if you treat them with respect and at least inform them of your new releases rather than admiring and watching them.

Claus: Intrometal and yourself have not built built friends here either. Pulling sides and being mean to others you don't know, will not help your sales. Try a frickin' (and I'm being kind) email or calling if you have troubles. When you license to anyone, titles end up in opposite territories. The U.S. buyer deserves more than this. They want it all as you have heard between arguings. Thus, Amazon, Super D, Cd Universe etc are doing well so please watch what you think you are saying is correct in laws in the U.S. They are not all correct.

See you all at progpower. The vendors at this event are truly independant companies, non seem to like the others but each holds different items for your collections. You get it all there. You get import from us. Competition is fearce in business, but it is just an everyday event and part of it as a whole. You put up with dicks, you work with cool distributors, you make friends and enemys worldwide. We sell metal, we are there for you guys to enjoy this. Don't let others ruin what you have in your collections or what you don't and surely after this raping of my blog, don't turn to digital downloads unless you are sure the band is getting the $0.91 of the $1.00 spent in their pocket. We hope to see you all soon.

Thank you for a great discussion today. Many valid points were made.

Preorder is not for everyone John. But we stated this over 2 years ago because we cater to collectors. Though you and many others out there try to re-write Cd Inzane, we have written our process and shipping around the majority. We are not for everyone, but then again, it seems that those that shop The End, Shop Cd Inzane. Those that shop Laser, Shop Nightmare. There is not much cross over that we can tell.

Order are in abundance and we do get many of them shipped first. If you don't preorder ASAP, the lines back up. If you order the day before the release, your order will be delayed 3-4 weeks + if we run out.

This is not science, you cannot write the way we do business because of the way you want to do business. You frankly need to find the company best for you.

Negative publicity is what we seem to get a lot. It is due to the high amounts of customers whom we work hard for. More sales, more plus' and minus'.

Brothers and sisters in metal, CD Inzane is a kind group. We mean no one harm and are here to sell to you all. These clowns gang up, but that is just the way it is. Whether you buy from us or others, don't let those whom fell the need to wreck having the best music in your collections stop you. ... And John, don't buy from us again if you don't want to. I would rather go out of business than have these bands fail in sales. We need them. I think you are young, but I really remember the 80's and the abundance of bandz around. I want that back as do some of your counterparts...

Status
Not open for further replies.