CD Purchases - By What Criteria?

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
How do you decide which CDs you want to purchase? Do you need to hear the entire disc first? One or two poor quality MP3s? A good review? A lot of buzz in a forum that you read? A review on a trusted webzine?

I'd say roughly 85% of my purchases come after hearing the entire CD. The remainder of my purchases are generally spurred by buzz in the various forums that I read.

GZ

I use a little of everything you said.

If there is a buzz aboot a certain band then I download about three random tracks. Then if I like the songs, but they are all from different albums then I might go to the forum and ask what album is best to start with for a newbie. Dreamlord helped me start in my In Flames and Dark Tranquility albums this way. Thanks again Dreamlord.

If the 3 mp3's are all from the same album then I buy that CD. I do the same when I buy mainstream music. If I like 3 of the Videos/songs that they release then I go buy those albums too.

I used to go purely on the buzz around forums or 1 or 2 quality, positive reviews. Now that money is a lot tighter (and to be honest, there's really not mch our there that I want), I watch what I buy a lot more carefully.

Generally, I read reviews about a certain band from every reliable webzine I know of. Then I usually go onto forums and ask for opinions. I may listen to an mp3 here and there. And if I know I can get it for a fair price, then I'll usually buy it.

Everything Zod mentioned except hearing the entire disc, in most cases I don't want to spoil the initial listening...most of the time it requires at least two good reviews and more than one sample (unless that one completely captures my attention from the start.)

I very rarely hear any song on an album before purchasing it. A positive review or a forum suggestion helps, but I've made plenty of purchases based solely on how cool the album's cover looks. :)

Though ultimately it's obviously a good thing, in a small way I miss the days before the internet. Buying records by how sweet the album cover was is something that me and my friends used to do all of the time.

I remember fondly, back when Earache stuff was very tough to find around here, as me and a friend stared at a copy of Left Hand Path by some band we had never heard of Entombed. I remember saying, "c'mon, look at it, it has to be cool."

Same here, sure some mp3, good reviews/interviews and forum_buzz can help to choose a good album ... but friends recommendations and advices are as well important...too many albums anyway, very few I finally listen and even less I keep & utterly appreciate \m/

NAD said:
but I've made plenty of purchases based solely on how cool the album's cover looks. :)
I remember checking out Metal Church, Mortal Sin , Obituary and Savatage on that same principle all in one go :p rare that I do that. The cool album cover thing didn't work out well for Dragon sadly :( wasn't too impressed by them...

I think the last CD I bought proper was Wages of Sin by Arch Enemy back in June...that was based around remembering the buzz there'd been in American magazines about them the previous summer, growing media attention over here this summer and a stunning set at Donington. These days CDs are a rare purchase, I tend to go on second-hand LPs and stuff based on word of mouth from all kinds of sources, or I know the band/album already...

General Zod said:
How do you decide which CDs you want to purchase?
Depends on the amount of $$ in my pocket, heh.

Yeah reviews and forum discussions are my main persuasion points. I might hear an MP3 to sample the style of playing, vocals etc, but that's it. And even then, maybe.

Recently, on the King Diamond promo, they only provided 3 songs. It's really annoying because when I eventually bought the album, those three songs stood out the first few times I listened it, and it slightly hindered the overall listening experience to be honest. It took a while longer before I could enjoy the other tracks equally.

It's kind of like seeing a movie trailer on TV. Those bits are really cool when you first see them, and they entice you to see the movie. And then when you see the movie at the cinema, those same segments end up being a little bland.

Maybe I'm alone on this... o_O

Yea i discovered Naglfar just by the way the Ex Infernes cover looked. Ive made plenty of purchases based upon album covers. Some i regret though obviously.

JayKeeley said:
Maybe I'm alone on this...
hypnotized.gif
Nope. It's why I rarely go to see movies anymore, especially comedies. The best parts are always played 40 times on the previews. Same goes for music, but not nearly as often because most albums I buy don't have singles on the radio, and I don't often download mp3s.