CDINZANE----NEW COMPANY

Imajica

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
For those of you on the old mailing list; you should have gotten a new email about the new company he is forming with new partners.

I personally have never had a problem with him or ordering from him. So I will be willing to give it a chance.

For those who did I understand that he will be offering downloads. So that should eliminate those problems.

That poses two questions I'm curious about...how many people actually download digital media vs hard CD? I've had rotten luck my computers/back up drives crashing and have lost digital downloads in the process so I prefer having hard CD's but sometimes it's just not practical or not available.

So how is the download process monitored and how much of that actually goes back to the bands vs record labels (in general because I'm assuming that everyone's a little different). Can bands actually see how many times their CD or a song has been downloaded?

Just curious because I also know of bands that have shyed away from doing digital media for various reasons.

Can bands actually see how many times their CD or a song has been downloaded?
Can bands actually see how many physical CDs a label has manufactured and when they're sold?

You raise a valid question, but it's not a function of the medium or delivery method, it's a function of bands needing to trust labels to not totally screw them.

That poses two questions I'm curious about...how many people actually download digital media vs hard CD? I've had rotten luck my computers/back up drives crashing and have lost digital downloads in the process so I prefer having hard CD's but sometimes it's just not practical or not available.

I prefer digital downloads provided it is a high quality rip, and if MP3 format is available. Digital music is so much easier to store and is far more portable than physical CDs. I ALWAYS back up my music to an external disk drive. External disk drives are so cheap now, there really is no excuse to not have backups.

Acceptable MP3 rips would be LAME based using either "--preset insane" or "--preset extreme" settings. You can find out how it was ripped by looking at the MP3 ID3 tags.

I don't like iTunes because they sell Mp4 (m4a) format only, which my car stereo will not play independent of an iPod. In other words, with MP4s it is not possible to load up a SD card or USB stick and play the music directly. MP3s just work. The audiophile will argue MP4 is a higher quality codec, but iTunes only sells 256 kbps AAC (m4a) and I would argue a LAME ripped MP3 with extreme or insane encoding settings is probably higher quality, especially if a newer LAME version (3.98 or 3.99) is used to encode the music.

FLAC is the destroyer of hard-drives. My bootleg Black Crowes collection takes up about 25% of my hard drive

FLAC is the destroyer of hard-drives. My bootleg Black Crowes collection takes up about 25% of my hard drive

Geez! You need a bigger hard drive.

I have over 900 CD's ripped to my media server in Apple lossless format. And it takes up around 400 gigs.

Lossless files are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I mean, I love having physical CDs and I still buy them. But once I rip them, they go into storage and are hardly ever touched. I can access and play my lossless media from any device in my home. It sounds great and the selection is virtually limitless.

FLAC files are large compared to mp3s, but they're not prohibitively large considering the size of modern storage devices. I've been gradually ripping my CD collection to FLAC for a while now. While I own more than 2400 CDs, my 6 TB hard drive is considerably larger than necessary to store the entire collection, plus have plenty of space left over for various shows and movies.

Am I the only one bitterly disappointed by the lack of insults in this thread?

it is funny that you will insult and hate on someone but then still support him. Usually if I don't like someone I won't support them. Even if they are selling at a huge discount. It is the best way to show a business that you are not happy with the way they do business. I would buy the same CD at another vendor who may be higher in price but at least you are showing some sort of ethics and character then. Sure it stinks paying more for a CD but I would rather support a vendor who I like than someone that I dislike.

On a side note...I have zero issues with CDInzane. Used to order a lot from him years ago but he doesn't carry stuff I listen to now. I never really had any issues with them in the past. It is funny seeing everyone pile on a guy for giving bad service and being a jerk supposively and then all rush to support him because he sells CD's dirt cheap. In the past I have paid more for a CD because I would rather support a distro I like and who deserves my money than someone who doesn't.

it is funny that you will insult and hate on someone but then still support him. Usually if I don't like someone I won't support them. Even if they are selling at a huge discount. It is the best way to show a business that you are not happy with the way they do business. I would buy the same CD at another vendor who may be higher in price but at least you are showing some sort of ethics and character then. Sure it stinks paying more for a CD but I would rather support a vendor who I like than someone that I dislike.

On a side note...I have zero issues with CDInzane. Used to order a lot from him years ago but he doesn't carry stuff I listen to now. I never really had any issues with them in the past. It is funny seeing everyone pile on a guy for giving bad service and being a jerk supposively and then all rush to support him because he sells CD's dirt cheap. In the past I have paid more for a CD because I would rather support a distro I like and who deserves my money than someone who doesn't.

It was a joke about this thread's entertainment value, Bob. Lighten up.

Put me on the side of piling on the guy for bad service and for being a jerk and not supporting his businesses anymore, no matter how cheap he is. So you aren't really correct by saying "all rush to support him"......I know I don't, and I know a couple others that are the same way as I am.

Count me in as one who hopes he does make it work. I hate to see anyone lose their livelihood even if they aren't customer oriented. (Ok, I'm being polite here.) If he is going to focus on digital sales, then I'm hoping he'll spend a little extra attention to his web site's security so the bands don't get their music ripped off by hackers stealing music off his web site.

I'll add this. If he gets hacked, and artists lose a lot of music sales due to his negligence from lack of reasonable web site security, then he deserves to be put out of business. In that case his negligence would have affected the artists' incomes in the same way as if he had personally robbed their persons at gunpoint.