CDs dug out of the dust

paradoxile

Den Sista Ljusbäraren
Jul 20, 2004
Israel
myspace.com
Here are some classics I haven't listened to in ages...(and they literally gathered enough dust for me to get my weak dust alergy to kick in) and having their first listen since that day they were put away.

Opeth- My Arms, Your Hearse (yes, I'm ashamed)
Star One - Space Metal (I even forgot Dan was on it untill I heard his voice)
Pink Floyd - Animals
Alice in Chains - Dirt
Led Zep- III
"Singles" Soundtrack
Salem- Moment of Silence

What have you dug out of the dust lately?

I've been listening to Psychotic Waltz' "Mosquito" a lot lately, which I, like many others, brushed off as "the sellout album" when I originally got into the band. Now I've come to realize it's a hell of a good album, full of groove, soul and psychedelic atmosphere.

I listen to music using my iPod, and the mp3s don't gather dust.

The piles of CDs on my desk, however, do :/ I've got 3 piles, and the bottom ones in each are uh, Dream Theater's Live at Budokan, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and Rush's 2112.

I have put most of my 600+ CDs in boxes the basement, after ripping them all to mp3. So I hope they're not gathering dust. ;) However, I just started listening to an old Bel Canto album, "gathering virtual dust" on my iPod, that I haven't listened to in ages (Birds of Passage). I forgot how good they were... I guess I'll have a Bel Canto period for a while... :p

I guess some of you are asking why I put most of my CD's in the basement... When my son started walking and decided my CDs looked like shiny fun toys, I decided it would be the safest place for them. ;)

Weizenkeim said:
I've been listening to Psychotic Waltz' "Mosquito" a lot lately, which I, like many others, brushed off as "the sellout album" when I originally got into the band. Now I've come to realize it's a hell of a good album, full of groove, soul and psychedelic atmosphere.

Yeah sellout - just look how they made millions with it and are world famous now...people talk so much shit, really!

Yeah, well you know how, listening to music that's non-commercial or "underground" in any way, especially if it's due to compositional complexity, you easily get trapped in this kind of elitist thinking, percieving simplicity as efforts to reach a mainstream audience. (Well, maybe you wouldn't, judging from your nickname ;) ) It's bollocks, of course, but I guess you just tend to rationalize that way if the music doesn't do anything for you anymore. Well, older & wiser now, ass-kicking album, 'nuff said.

Stilgar said:
However, I just started listening to an old Bel Canto album, "gathering virtual dust" on my iPod, that I haven't listened to in ages (Birds of Passage). I forgot how good they were... I guess I'll have a Bel Canto period for a while... :p

I love "Suffering" off that album. I'm not too familiar with their other stuff though. Is it similar?

I've also dug out Dirt lately. The last two or three weeks I've been excavating old stuff because I haven't had to review anything new.
I've also pulled out Queen - Sheer Heart Attack, Alice Cooper - Hey Stoopid (it's one of those nostalgic things), Heart - Heart (more nostalgia), Sepultura - Arise, Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro, Amorphis - Tales from 1000 Lakes... I can't remember what else right now.

lumen said:
I love "Suffering" off that album. I'm not too familiar with their other stuff though. Is it similar?
Great to hear that I'm not the only one that has heard of them. :)

Their older stuff is a bit darker ("Suffering" being one of their older ones), but the new stuff is still really good. If you like "Suffering", the chances are that you'll like their newer stuff as well. I have all their albums and I think they're all great. "Magic Box" being the only one that I don't like all the songs on. But on the other hand, that album does have one of their best songs on it ("Paradise").

The problem is that it's pretty hard to find their CDs. At least here in Sweden. I had to go to Norway to buy their last two albums ("Rush" & "Dorothy's Victory").

If you can, go ahead and buy all their albums. ;) But if you want to get just one to start with, I'd recommend "Retrospect", a best-of-album that was released between those two albums. It has a pretty good mix of their songs, although it's missing some of my favorites, like "Without You" from their first album.

Did I fail to understand your answer, or did you fail to get my irony?
Given those choices, you definitely failed to understand my answer ;) . I was just elaborating on the kind of thinking that leads to percieving "simple" music as "sellout". So, no offense taken, in case it seemed that way to you. And I'm from Bonn.

Stilgar said:
Great to hear that I'm not the only one that has heard of them. :)

Their older stuff is a bit darker ("Suffering" being one of their older ones), but the new stuff is still really good. If you like "Suffering", the chances are that you'll like their newer stuff as well. I have all their albums and I think they're all great. "Magic Box" being the only one that I don't like all the songs on. But on the other hand, that album does have one of their best songs on it ("Paradise").

The problem is that it's pretty hard to find their CDs. At least here in Sweden. I had to go to Norway to buy their last two albums ("Rush" & "Dorothy's Victory").

If you can, go ahead and buy all their albums. ;) But if you want to get just one to start with, I'd recommend "Retrospect", a best-of-album that was released between those two albums. It has a pretty good mix of their songs, although it's missing some of my favorites, like "Without You" from their first album.

Their stuff is hard to find in Canada too. I only know that one album because a friend had "Suffering" on a comp. tape, and we have Birds of Passage at the radio station where I volunteer. Thanks for the recommendations though! :D

Weizenkeim said:
Given those choices, you definitely failed to understand my answer ;) . I was just elaborating on the kind of thinking that leads to percieving "simple" music as "sellout". So, no offense taken, in case it seemed that way to you. And I'm from Bonn.

komme von der Saar...

Lately I've started listening to Rage's "Welcome To The Other Side" again. Some kickass songs on there, and the sound isn't all that bad. Okay, the drumsound really sucks, but I think it's cool that you can actually hear the bass on a metal record.

Another one is Nevermore's "Dreaming Neon Black" which I never really got into as much as the later albums. It's really effin godd, though

paradoxile said:
Opeth- My Arms, Your Hearse (yes, I'm ashamed)
Star One - Space Metal (I even forgot Dan was on it untill I heard his voice)
Alice in Chains - Dirt
"Singles" Soundtrack
That Star One CD is so good! I'm hoping for another one someday, but it's doubtful. Dirt is killer, as well, and that Soundgarden song on the Singles sndtrk is the best song they ever recorded!