Favorite albums of each year

Awesome thread!!!

1988's best album, indeed one of the best album's ever made, and on par with Joy Division's Closer, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, Radiohead's OK Computer, Jeff Buckley's Grace, Marvin Gaye's What's Going On, Wille Nelson's Red Headed Stranger, and**insert classic record here*** is of course, Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation.

^"What's going on" is a classic. It was up there as was Sonic Youth a few times, mainly with Daydream and Sister. Speaking of Grace it came insanely close in 94 for me. I chose Portishead's "Dummy" but it was one of the closest years of the last few decades. Most of the really close calls for me are in the late 60's through to the mid 70's. Actually 00 was really close between Ulver's Perdition City and GY!BE- Lift your skinny fists, chose Ulver but it is pretty much a matter of how I'm feeling atm, I'm sure if I spun GY!BE now I would regret it. But it would work either way. You know a year is good when it has multiple releases you would have to include in a top 50 of all time list. This exercise really does show how stupidly hard it is to make an accurate top 50 list, there's too much music that belts at a very similar level.

lol st3phen u lazy kunt. I'll do this decade for you...tell me how accurate it is.

08- Esoteric- TMV
07- Alcest- Souvenirs
06- Negura Bunget- Om
05- Akercocke- words
04- Esoteric- Sub
03- Ulver- Svidd Neger
02- GY!BE- Yanqui U.X.O.
01- Neurosis- A Sun that Never Sets
00- Ulver- Perdition City

Was I on the money? Nice lists as well, keep em coming.

Quite possibly.. As i said, can't be arsed about it ahaha.

It requires me finding out all the release dates of the albums i love.. BOO!

Some nice lists here. I think I'm going to start working on my own. I'll try to make it to atleast 91 when I was born. I also love lots of 70s music, but I'd have to go through a lot of records there to decide what is the best one...

List will follow when ready... Actually, I just don't know, I feel it's kinda weird and stupid to try to find a best album of a year like this. But maybe I'll be able to get it together.

2008 - Akphaezya - Anthology II
2007 - Turisas - The Varangian Way
2006 - UnexpecT - In a Flesh Aquarium
2005 - Gojira - From Mars to Sirius
2004 - Finntroll - Nattfodd / Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Of Natural history
2003 - Ephel Duath - The Painter's Palette
2002 - 5uu's - Abandonship
2001 - Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Grand opening and closing
2000 - Kalmah - Swamplord
1999 - Pain of Salvation - Entropia
1998 - Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle
1997 - Bjork - Homogenic