Celestion V60 - Question

neurotic18

New Metal Member
Feb 7, 2018
Hey everyone,

Recently, I found a used Trace Elliot combo amplifier in our studio. I turnt it on and DC passes through the audio path. Anyway, I don’t have enough time to spend on and fix it so I gave it to a friend who’s also studying electronics to “play” with.

However, before bring it to him, I noticed there were 2 Celestion V12-60 Silver Series 8 Ohm Speakers (see the attachment). Can anyone confirm that these are the same V60s that are loaded on some Engl cabinets?

I’m about to order an empty Zilla Fatboy Cabinet for them if they are the same speakers, because I was totally blown when I recorded that Engl cabinet about a year ago.

Thanks!

Attachments

• AFAC78B6-511A-488E-9F5C-574184982CAC.jpeg
    AFAC78B6-511A-488E-9F5C-574184982CAC.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 5
I dont know about the sourcing, because Celestion has multiple speakers that are branded the same but sound different per plant making them, but v60 are the engl speaker.

Hey,

@newamerikangospel
Thanks for the reply.

Sorry but I have probably misunderstood you. Do you mean that the speaker on the photo that I have attached is the same with the ENGL cabs? Or there are more V60s with different labeling by Celestion?

Thanks.

Celestion seems to have several variations with several of its speakers. There are 10 or so v30 variations, some sounding drastically different. The v60 is the engl cab speaker, but I dont know if there are several variations. I have never heard of a "silver edition" so I would say it may be one. Do you like the way those sound or have you tried them?

Do you like the way those sound or have you tried them?

Unfortunately, no. I never had the chance to try them. As I said in the first post, they were loaded on a faulty Trace Elliot combo and I removed them since they had the V60 label on them. I'm sure that they are functional but I have never heard them.

I also sent an e-mail at ENGL, but no response until now.

Anyone else?

UPDATE

So, it's been a couple of months since I was looking for a 2x12 cabinet to pair my VHT 2x12 Fatbottom and after many trials, recorded samples, comparisons, etc., I decided to go with a Mesa 2x12 Rectifier H. I know it has nothing to do with my first idea, which was a custom cab with some v60s, but:

a) I think it was safer to go with a tested solution, although Zilla cabs look very good designs and Paul is a very nice and helpful guy.
b) I found an old Marshal cab which needs some fixes and if there's enough time I'm going to replace the current speakers with V60s and test how they sound. If they are close to what I know as V60s then I'm going to build that cabinet in the next months.

Regarding the Mesa selection, after some comparison tests with an Orange PPC212 and an Engl E212VB Pro and many reviews here and there, the Mesa was the winner (also I found a great offer which I couldn't say no). I really liked the Orange and I could live with it, but a) I had to move mics a lot to get the sound I had in my head, b) In the studio, which I rent for guitar recordings - reamps, there's already an Orange 4x12.

That's all! I'm going to create a new thread when I receive it with some photos, first impressions and of course samples. :)