Cell phones and SAR ratings

MarcusGHedwig

Mar 21, 2010
New York
www.myspace.com
So I noticed this morning that I'm misssing most of the hair on about a 2"x4" rectangular spot on my right thigh, corresponding to the pocket where I always keep my phone. I'm thinking (hoping) that it's just from chafing, cuz I wear kinda tight jeans (but not ridiculously so, I ain't no hipster/scene fag :D ), but it still kinda got me nervous; any resident super-smart science people have any thoughts on the dangers of cell-phone radiation?

And fortunately, the iPhone 4 only has a SAR rating of 1.17 (1.6 is the max permissible by the FCC), whereas all the Verizon Droids and 3G Blackberries, for example, are at least 1.35 (in the case of the Motorola Droids, they're up above 1.5 :yow: ) - on the other hand, the Samsung Galaxy S phones are all around .6, which is pretty awesome. If you're curious about the rating of your phone, CNET.com states it in the last line of every phone they review, so you can find it there.

No thigh hair loss here at least man.

I haven't dug deep into the subject, but by layman's logic, don't you think people would have noticed effects caused by cellphone radiation before? I mean, cell phones have been around for a while... If there's radiation and someone's keeping track of it, I'm pretty sure cellphone manufacturers are trying to lower it model by model.

So I noticed this morning that I'm misssing most of the hair on about a 2"x4" rectangular spot on my right thigh, corresponding to the pocket where I always keep my phone. I'm thinking (hoping) that it's just from chafing, cuz I wear kinda tight jeans (but not ridiculously so, I ain't no hipster/scene fag :D ), but it still kinda got me nervous; any resident super-smart science people have any thoughts on the dangers of cell-phone radiation?

And fortunately, the iPhone 4 only has a SAR rating of 1.17 (1.6 is the max permissible by the FCC), whereas all the Verizon Droids and 3G Blackberries, for example, are at least 1.35 (in the case of the Motorola Droids, they're up above 1.5 :yow: ) - on the other hand, the Samsung Galaxy S phones are all around .6, which is pretty awesome. If you're curious about the rating of your phone, CNET.com states it in the last line of every phone they review, so you can find it there.

I'd be more concerned about what it might be doing to your balls more than your leg hair if I were you :loco:

cell phone radiation has a maximum frequency of 2.4GHz, which in non-ionizing. For the most part non-ionizing radiation is of little concern as there is very little evidence to say that it causes tissue damage other than from thermal tissue damage. That could be the issue, since radiation dissipates as heat in living tissue, is that you could be burning the epidermis (and not anything deeper because radiation at cell phone frequencies are easily stopped by a piece of paper) causing the hair follicles to stop working. In layman's terms, you have burned the hair off your leg, as if you have gotten too close to an explosion and you burned your eyebrows off.

i shudder to think what my phone is rated at... it's from like 2005 and is about the size of a brick.

i keep it in my left pocket and my left nut hurt for like 6 months straight one time haha.

I'm not qualified to discuss the subjects of radiation or hair loss (well, maybe hair loss :erk:), but I have noticed that there's a muscle in my right thigh that has started twitching in a way that feels exactly like my phone ringing on vibrate, even when it isn't in my pocket.

but I have noticed that there's a muscle in my right thigh that has started twitching in a way that feels exactly like my phone ringing on vibrate, even when it isn't in my pocket.

That's kind of like what has been referred to as the "phantom ring" and from what I've heard it's more of a psychological issue arising from being used to, and expecting to feel, a vibration at that particular spot at any moment. Almost like your brain is subconsciously expecting it and recalls a memory of the scenario that feels absolutely real. I remember one time I had my phone in my right pocket (it's usually in my left) and it started ringing, and I could have sworn I felt it vibrating against my left leg, even though it was on my right.

Not saying that this is what you're experiencing, just noting the similarity.

Kind of related- the media here went pretty crazy recently with a story of a young woman who had a growth operated on behind the ear. She would spend a few hours a day with a phone to it.

I've noticed that over the last two years the new phones have a much lower signal too. Not surprised the manufacturers are making a change before all the law suits.

Kind of related- the media here went pretty crazy recently with a story of a young woman who had a growth operated on behind the ear. She would spend a few hours a day with a phone to it.

I've noticed that over the last two years the new phones have a much lower signal too. Not surprised the manufacturers are making a change before all the law suits.

Here is the problem though, the only type of radiation that can travel passed skin to cause internal cancer and tumors is ionizing radiation, particularly beta and gamma radiation. There is no way in hell that a cell phone has the available power from such small batteries to create such radiation. And wouldn't if they did receive enough radiation to cause cancer, tumors, bald spots where the phone is exposed to frequently have some sort of radiation sickness or similar side effects? I call Bullshit, its the media fear-mongering the "sheeple" so that the journalists can earn a fucking paycheck.

Here is the problem though, the only type of radiation that can travel passed skin to cause internal cancer and tumors is ionizing radiation, particularly beta and gamma radiation. There is no way in hell that a cell phone has the available power from such small batteries to create such radiation. And wouldn't if they did receive enough radiation to cause cancer, tumors, bald spots where the phone is exposed to frequently have some sort of radiation sickness or similar side effects? I call Bullshit, its the media fear-mongering the "sheeple" so that the journalists can earn a fucking paycheck.

Dude, you don't even want to hear about this, but I'll tell you anyway for fun. :) A close relative who shall remain nameless recently bragged about this contraption that she bought (for $150!) that simply plugs into an AC outlet and reverses all of the "negative" energy in your home caused by all of the electrical wires in your walls. It's supposed to improve your health and shit. I admit I don't know much about power, but I think somewhere some guy is laughing his ass off on the way to the bank because he's selling little LED's powered by standard power outlets to brainwashed metaphysics fans.

If said relative wasn't so dear to me, I would ask her to define this "negative" energy, and explain how this little device works to reverse it. Or maybe I'm completely wrong and I'm the one that's brainwashed into thinking the AC supply in our homes poses no threat as long as we're not dumb enough to electrocute ourselves.

Dude, you don't even want to hear about this, but I'll tell you anyway for fun. :) A close relative who shall remain nameless recently bragged about this contraption that she bought (for $150!) that simply plugs into an AC outlet and reverses all of the "negative" energy in your home caused by all of the electrical wires in your walls. It's supposed to improve your health and shit. I admit I don't know much about power, but I think somewhere some guy is laughing his ass off on the way to the bank because he's selling little LED's powered by standard power outlets to brainwashed metaphysics fans.

If said relative wasn't so dear to me, I would ask her to define this "negative" energy, and explain how this little device works to reverse it. Or maybe I'm completely wrong and I'm the one that's brainwashed into thinking the AC supply in our homes poses no threat as long as we're not dumb enough to electrocute ourselves.

:lol::lol::lol:

My girl just walked in on me, pants around my ankles, staring at my thigh. Her response: "I guess you finally got some more weed huh?"

No hair loss here.

cell phone radiation has a maximum frequency of 2.4GHz, which in non-ionizing. For the most part non-ionizing radiation is of little concern as there is very little evidence to say that it causes tissue damage other than from thermal tissue damage. That could be the issue, since radiation dissipates as heat in living tissue, is that you could be burning the epidermis (and not anything deeper because radiation at cell phone frequencies are easily stopped by a piece of paper) causing the hair follicles to stop working. In layman's terms, you have burned the hair off your leg, as if you have gotten too close to an explosion and you burned your eyebrows off.

The temperature rise is merely fraction of a degree. The sun warms up your skin more than a cellphone.

The temperature rise is merely fraction of a degree. The sun warms up your skin more than a cellphone.

true. The amount of heat being dissipated from RF absorption is a fraction of a degree and the circular system is adequate enough to move that heat quick enough so that the tissues never reach beyond normal body temperature. But cell phones also dissipate heat just from use as well. Still it can't be enough to do any damage.

Here's a good read:

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs304/en/index.html

It seems like the real heat transfer would be body heat from our hands to the cell phone, not the other way around. But what do I know?