Cell phones and SAR ratings

It seems like the real heat transfer would be body heat from our hands to the cell phone, not the other way around. But what do I know?

We are talking about RF absorption, where the RF that is being transmitted from the the phone turns to heat when it hit your body. Besides, haven't you ever been on a cell phone for so long that it gets screaming hot? I have actually gotten burned from having the phone up to my face for long periods of time before. The RF is responsible for the sunburn type of feeling because it has a better penetration factor than just conventional thermal transfer so you are burning some tissues deeper than the outer layer of your skin, giving that sunburn feeling. Sun however, not only burns from the radiation, but UVb is very close to ionizing radiation and UVc is the beginning of the ionizing radiation, which is why tanning too much causes skin cancer. This is also why tanning bed are worse than sun, because the sun doesn't have UVc this side of the ozone, but tanning beds do.

Thanks for the reassurance guys - Socialnumb's article does make a good point, but overall it seems like the risks are minimal, and either way I'm way too attached to this gizmo to stop using it daily :D And +1 for the phantom ring syndrome, drives me bonkers! :loco:

Marcus, are you sure it's not from simple friction? I get bold spots on my legs where the knee pads on my workwear sits :D

I used to (well, still do) get mysterious black smear-y marks on the right thigh of my pants. They drove me nuts, but I eventually determined that they are caused by the phone in my pocket rubbing against the black leather steering wheel every time I get into the car. The clue that broke the case wide open was when I noticed that the marks only appeared on the pants I wear to work (with phone in top pocket) and never on my jeans (with phone down in side leg pocket). :D