Century Media saves Insideout Music

Soundscape

Sep 16, 2002
Maplewood, MN
allmediareviews.blogspot.com
just noticed this on mp.com

Devin Townsend himself apparently posted this.

http://www.hevydevyforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=7976&p=211095#p211095

Inside out got picked up by Century Media, which is great, becuase Addicted is awesome. Really. Straight up killer record. Makes me unusually emotional. The mix is pretty intense though. Immense amounts of tracks. Every song I open I'm like ...sigh... theres no 'easy' song. It's fucking pounding though. I kind of want to hear it, it makes people around me dance. I've never had that before. It's cool.

so Transatlantic, Pain of Salvation among others on the label likely won't be delayed due to label support now.

Well, that could be a win-win for both. CM's been struggling mightily recently with diminished signings in quantity and quality and a "reduction in affiliation" with NukeB. Hopefully, a collaboration of whatever kind between IO and CM records will bolster both and insure strong representation for the bands.

I'm fairly sure TER (The End Records) wasn't affiliated directly with CM, though. If I remember from the article in Fortune magazine on them, they started as an online metal retailer and built it into the largest non-label metal mail-order house around.

CM picking up IOMA is good news.......but the news that a new Devy CD is following so soon after the excellent Ki CD is GREAT news. :kickass:

I recall IOMA began as a distributed offshoot of CM.

Indeed IOMA was out of CM in the beginning (and I have the CDs to prove it), but this is a great news. There are many bands I like on IOMA and I wasn't thrilled when I saw Europena artists like Tomas Bodin saying that from now on their music will be available only through themselves. I can't afford to buy European releases plus the S&H, the Euro exchange kills me totally being in the third wolrd.

some more has come out about this. it includes sister label "Superball Music" which has Oceansize, Pure Reason Revolution and Long Distance Calling.

And it also has EMI as a co-partner with CM.

This could possibly mean more of these bands may finally be able to afford to do some touring overseas.

article

CENTURY MEDIA RECORDS ANNOUNCES WORLDWIDE COOPERATION WITH INSIDEOUTMUSIC & SUPERBALLMUSIC!
One of the world’s most renowned and successful labels in the field of heavy music, Century Media Records, proudly announces a worldwide cooperation with InsideOutMusic & SuperballMusic, two prominent labels featuring the finest classic acts and hottest newcomers in progressive rock/metal, post-rock and alternative. Both labels will now be distributed worldwide by EMI Music and will keep their individual trademarks and stylistic direction.
Antje Lange, managing director of Century Media Records Europe comments:
“We are really glad to now be cooperating with InsideOut and Superball – two well known labels with loads of fascinating artists. Not only are we delighted to release the highly anticipated new albums of TRANSATLANTIC and OCEANSIZE, but having the labels’ founder Thomas Waber in our office finally turns a friendship into a heartily welcomed business connection. As a proper kick-off for this cooperation, we are already working on a massive label-campaign with our worldwide distributor EMI for early 2010.”
Thomas Waber, managing director of InsideOutMusic / SuperballMusic adds:
“I am excited that we have found such competent and professional partners in Century Media and EMI as they really care about the music and artists we have to offer. I know the Century Media team for many years now and feel confident that this was the right decision for our bands. Both companies favour high quality instead of quantity and that is something we definitely have in common.”
The first highlights of this new partnership are TRANSATLANTIC’s stunning new opus “The Whirlwind” and the brand-new OCEANSIZE EP “Home & Minor”, which will both be released on October 26th, 2009 in Europe. Further releases 2009 include a KANSAS DVD, new albums by REDEMPTION, INME, NATIVE WINDOW, SHADOW GALLERY, DEVIN TOWNSEND, and THE TANGENT. Also expect a brand-new …AND YOU WILL KNOW US BY THE TRAIL OF DEAD album in 2010!

I didn't even realize there was a new InMe album coming out. Very cool news

Hmm... Spock's Beard are no longer with Inside Out. Wonder if CM's involvement will change that.

Nup....from their site

Yes, that's right a new CD! Most of the material has already been written and we're ready to go to the next phase of tightening up arrangements, making changes where needed and starting production.

We've decided to go commando on this one... lean, mean and without record label support.

We have been free agents since the release of our last CD and after lots of deliberation have decided to release our next CD independently rather than re-sign with InsideOut or shop other labels.

There have been a lot of great suggestions relating to this topic by the members of our forum, and the one that made a lot of sense to us was to take pre-orders for our not-yet-recorded CD similar to the approach that Marillion has taken in the past.

We will organize a retail store distribution deal at some point in the future, but the initial release will be an independent limited edition offering of only 5,000 CDs.

This pressing will be a one-time only release, with at least one bonus track that will not exist on any subsequent pressing. By pre-ordering, you will receive our next CD one full month before it exists in any other form or is (legally) available in any other way. In other words, it won't be in stores, it won't be on iTunes, it won't be available on Amazon or anywhere else on Earth except directly from us for at least one month after the release date, and the special version that you pre-order will never be reprinted again after those first 5,000 units are gone.

We will also not be sending pre-release copies to the media for CD reviews because frankly we're tired of seeing our new CD available as a "free" bittorent download weeks before release date. Not sending out pre-release copies will stop this leak and guarantee that the people who pre-order our CD will be the very first people to hear it besides the people directly involved in the recording and production process.

Release date depends on how quickly the CD is "financed" by pre-orders, but our initial goal is to have the CD finished and the pre-orders filled by the end of this year or early 2010.

During the pre-production and recording process, we'll keep you up-to-date with the progress here as well as with a video blog on YouTube (subscribe there if you haven't already).

So... to be the first one on your block to have the next Spock's Beard CD, click here to pre-order!

Sounds like really bad news... hmm... No, come to think of it, it makes absolutely no difference. :D

Perhaps based upon CM's past it is bad news, but perhaps they see this as a new business unit and they can market and profit from it. Market is changing and maybe they see that fact. Hopefully. :)