Champions or Chumps? AC/DC.

Champions or Chumps.

• Champions.

Votes: 20 83.3%
  • Chumps.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Should have split up when Bon Scott died.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Got one album, got them all!

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

Paxoman

Sep 10, 2002
A stranger in a strange land!
Visit site
I was going to do this one further down the line. But seeing as I have just started to read ‘Two Sides To Every Glory - The Complete Biography Of AC/DC’, I thought it is as good a time as any to share our thoughts on the band.

In the notes on the back cover of the book it says “A band you can trust”. Hmmmm or maybe it should say “Got one album, got ‘em all”!

Now, I do like AC/DC, they have many a great song. And their no nonsense style of rock n roll is to be admired. Or is it? Or maybe they are just a boring band, banging out the same old riffs. Many metal bands have taken a chance, tried something different. Metallica, Judas Priest, even Iron Maiden have tried to be different. And we all know Saxon trying to be ‘different’ turned into an absolute disaster! But have AC/DC tried anything new?

There is no doubting AC/DC are one of the most entertaining live bands you could go and see. Saxon have the Eagle. Motorhead have the Bomber. Iron Maiden have Eddie. And AC/DC have Angus Young! Entertaining, as well as being a great guitarist.

I have to admit to being surprised at AC/DC’s success. Not so much that they became big and successful. But more that they stayed there! If any band were going to go from Arena to local pub around the corner, I would have put money on it being AC/DC!

So, champions or chumps?

I have to say Champs and voted as such, although i dont really know why, i mean 3 studio albums since 1990!! are they even still going now? The last album was 6 years ago!!! How can they pull this kind of thing off and still have such a loyal following?? <-- yes thats a question!

All that said, i have a special place in my heart for AC\DC. I think most people into rock my age do. And like most for me especially its the Bon Scott era, those are records i can listen to again and again. Bons lyrics and vocal attitude and persona were always 100% the man gave everything to rock and roll including his life. And deserves to be immortalised the way he has been for this.

Im glad they carried on, im sure many would agree thats what Bon would of wanted and with Brian they gave us some great albums....also some not so great as well !

If you cant tap your foot to an AC\DC tune then something is very wrong!!!!

Well i voted 'got one got them all' cos i don't think there champions but i don't think there chumps either!
I think musically they have been re hashing the same old stuff for years, and its really showing these days (is it really 6 years since there last album?).
My fave stuff is the 80's albums, and the last album they did which i liked was the razors edge (1990)...

Champions for sure. Before Judas Priest, Saxon, Iron Maiden became champs in my book. Champions eventually fall off the podium, but will always be remembered as champs of their time. Who knows, they may even make a comeback and blow us away with something new with the 4 chords they use.

They are champs.When their next album comes out it probably be their last.I've seen them every tour since 1985,occasionally twice on a tour.They are one of the best,for me it was the first time I heard Dirty Deeds when I was 9 years old,I kinda grew up with them.Long live AC/DC.

I dunno... can't vote: "they're just average" :rolleyes:

AC/DC is kind of a music I might listen to while I'm driving a car or I could listen to it in a bar, but otherwise I think its pretty boring and when you've heard a one song, you've heard them all, you know.

They're a legendary band and they're good, but I prefer something more versatile, thank you.... :lol:

Got one album....

As for Dirty Deeds, I prefer the Bob Rivers version:

If you&#8217;re havin&#8217; trouble with your barnyard friends
You got a thing for yews
Been countin&#8217; sheep
But you&#8217;re not in bed
Here&#8217;s what you gotta&#8217; do
Get outta the barn
Stay off the farm
Go read a nursery rhyme
Dial me 976-B-A-A-A
That kind of love&#8217;s a crime
Hey

Dirty deeds
Done with sheep
Dirty deeds
Little Bo Peep
Dirty deeds
Done with sheep
Dirty deeds and they&#8217;re done with sheep
Dirty deeds and they&#8217;re done with sheep

Download it free here: http://www.bobrivers.com/audiovault/downloads/files/dirtydeeds.mp3

They even survived "Flick of the Switch".

I quite liked Flick of the Switch !

I'm with Lionheart from a live perspective CHAMPS without a doubt ! Their Donington headlining appearances were awesome. :kickass:

However, a bit like Maiden I wouldn't go and see them again as having seen every tour since 84 there is nothing new to see.

Champs defo for the Bon years, every album with Bon rocks, Back In Black and Flick Of The Switch kick serious ass (Listen to Flick Of The Switch again NOW, and tell me it doesn't rock your brain to fuzz) but apart from that the odd song here or there, Thunderstruck, Who Made Who eh Thunderstruck, Who Made Who...Eh Thunderstruck, Who Made Who...... BUT it's live where DC do the biz, I through the gauntlet to the floor and ask, find me someone who's been to a DC gig and DIDN@T enjoy it?! Needle Haystack?
Champs for Bon stuff and Champs for live stuff now....:worship:

CHAMPS
AC/DC never let you down.Bon Scott era was fantastic.But beano has been in the band for 26 years now.Every album does exactly what it says on the tin.Its rock n roll at its greatest.There sound reaches deep into your soul and aweakens some kind of prime evil instinct.All of a sudden your grinng like an idiot and get the urge to strap on your air guitar.If AC/DC dont do this for you then check your pulse you probably find your are dead.If AC/DC were a weapon they would a big blunt heavy club that is used to bludgeon skulls.As for flick of the switch.Think of the albums that came before it.Its pure class its just a little more subtle.think about it Guns for hire,Nervous breakdown,rising power.
Live is where they shine i am sad to say i have only ever seen tham once on the Blow up your video tour.I have to say it was one of the greatest gigs i have ever been to.

Reactions: valanx
Champs. Look at their current fanbase for proof. Kids to pensioners. Honest my Dad loves them.
Great discussion Pax but poor choice of words.
Not many on this planet could contemplate calling the DC chumps.lol

AC/DC, are very like Motorhead with thier honest Rock'n'Roll approach to their musical style. They are what they are and dont need/try to be anything else. The pressure to be "Sheep" is huge, especially in the music business.
Just look at the Nu-metal scene in America over the las few years for proof of this fact.

But the Acca Dacca dont follow and are respected the world over, even now decades after their musical peak. Ok they dont sell so many records as they did but thats inevatable.

Just look at the stones's sales for their latest effort. Or The Darkness (who???) as two examples

lastv8 hang your head in shame Back in Black is one of the WORLDS biggest selling albums.... granted stiff upper lip wasnt too good.. but ballbreaker is a classic, even saxon have had there low points with some albums ( im not saying which cos i know some of you know where i live lol)