Champions or chumps? Led Zeppalin.

I think Saxon used to play Kashmir in the late seventies.Zep played long songs because they could.Now day anything over 5 minutes people struggle with.That is mainly due to the fact most abnds aint got the balls/tallant.
I think you only have to look at how long they were around and how many songs people know.Evan a chav could hum Whole Lotta Love.

Legends who are still influencing bands to this day. Listen to the tracks on the Wolfmother website (Go to No.6 (Releases) and click on the player). You can play the whole album. White Unicorn,Woman,Where Eagles Have Been,Colossal,Witchcraft and Love Train all have recognisable Zep influences.
I regret to this day turning down a chance to go to Knebworth and therefore never seeing them live. :cry:

I think they are one of the most overrated bands in the world. Okay, back then they were propably good. But now people think they are gods. REAL gods. Judas Priest is called the Metal Gods, but that's just a compliment. If I would say that Jimmy Page is IMO not the best guitarist in the world, people would propably stone me! Unless I said the greatest guitarist is Jimi Hendrix... People forget that there were bands and aritst before Jimi Hendrix and Led Zep and during the time of those two. And they did great music, but people just remember Hendrix and Zep. It's like everyone would have to like Led Zeppelin. Sure they have influenced many bands, but not everyone was influenced by Led Zeppelin or Hendrix. I think Led Zeppelin is good and they were one of the bands that really changed the rock music, but they are not the only band that did that. Deep Purple was out there as well... and Black Sabbath.

I kind a hate Zep for the same reason as I hate Maiden. Not because they are bad, but because they are so bloody overrated that it makes me angry! :heh:

I think Saxon used to play Kashmir in the late seventies.Zep played long songs because they could.Now day anything over 5 minutes people struggle with.That is mainly due to the fact most abnds aint got the balls/tallant.
I think you only have to look at how long they were around and how many songs people know.Evan a chav could hum Whole Lotta Love.

Nah, I don't think it's about balls and tallent. Sure that's one of the reasons, balls ecspesially. Weird music doesn't sell and if you don't want to play at your carage for the rest of your life, you gotta play something more simple. But music is different at these days. Psychedelic music was late 60's and early 70's, it's not part of today. It's just like NWOBHM. It used to be big, it's not that big anymore. Sure these old bands still got fans, but new bands that try to copy these old bands don't have fans.

Nope neither Saxon or Son Of A Bitch as they used to be called played Zep covers - in fact I never saw SOAB play any covers at all in the 4 or 5 times I got to see them back then!

Nah, I don't think it's about balls and tallent. Sure that's one of the reasons, balls ecspesially. Weird music doesn't sell and if you don't want to play at your carage for the rest of your life, you gotta play something more simple. But music is different at these days. Psychedelic music was late 60's and early 70's, it's not part of today. It's just like NWOBHM. It used to be big, it's not that big anymore. Sure these old bands still got fans, but new bands that try to copy these old bands don't have fans.

Well i don't know if your saying Zeppelin are wierd and don't sell but if you are you are VERY wrong! They consistently sell to this day - in fact How The West Was Won went to number one in the USA - hardly a tiny market ! - when it was released a couple of years ago!

I beg to differ. I went to see Wolfmother last week and the tour was sold out. The venue was rammed full and tickets were going on Ebay for x2 or x3 the face value. They have got plenty of fans.

Well i don't know if your saying Zeppelin are wierd and don't sell but if you are you are VERY wrong! They consistently sell to this day - in fact How The West Was Won went to number one in the USA - hardly a tiny market ! - when it was released a couple of years ago!

Ah, you understood me wrong. With weird I ment 'progressive' or 'psychedelic'. Anyway, of course Zeppelin sells, even now! The Beatles sells too! And Rolling Stones! But if a new band would start play music like Beatles, I don't think they would be popular, because Beatles belongs to 60's. It's not "in" at the moment. Just like hair metal would propably not sell anymore even though it did sell in the late 80's and some hair metal bands FROM the late 80's are still very popular.

I beg to differ. I went to see Wolfmother last week and the tour was sold out. The venue was rammed full and tickets were going on Ebay for x2 or x3 the face value. They have got plenty of fans.

That might be true. Anyway, I hope you now understand my point better. Think about jazz. It was very popular decades ago, but I don't think many young people today like Django Reinhardt or would like to listen to jazz. Maybe one day people will once again start to listen to the jazz and it will be "cool" to listen to them, but not now. The time is not right.

Ah, you understood me wrong. With weird I ment 'progressive' or 'psychedelic'. Anyway, of course Zeppelin sells, even now! The Beatles sells too! And Rolling Stones! But if a new band would start play music like Beatles, I don't think they would be popular, because Beatles belongs to 60's. It's not "in" at the moment. Just like hair metal would propably not sell anymore even though it did sell in the late 80's and some hair metal bands FROM the late 80's are still very popular.

Umm Oasis? ;)

I think that do progressive music are the forward thinking muthafukas that other bands follow.Those bands play there music in front a few people every night,years later a band comes along doing watered down version and makes millions.
Zepplin were so far ahead of there time it was unreal.Look at all those ground breaking bands of that era.Sabbath,Purple,Floyd.

Zeppelin has influenced many bands, but that alone doesn't do it for me...

I think the first two Kingdom Come albums have loads of great tunes.
They sounded like Zeppelin, only a lot better... ;-))

Each one to his own...

Its a shame we can't have a poll on here for everyone to vote on!!
I have seen polls on other Ultimate Metal forums, so if there is another 'champions or chumps' thread, perhaps we could have a poll to?? :err:

Don't worry, there will be plenty more 'Champions or chumps' threads! Yeah, I think you can do a poll, but I don't know how to do it! I'll investigate it, or if anyone knows how to do it, maybe they can tell me. Cheers.

Don't worry, there will be plenty more 'Champions or chumps' threads!

Good stuff mate, look forward to those :)

When you start any new thread, if you scroll down past the box where you type in your message you will see additional options, (below submit new thread/preview post). The bottom option is 'post a poll'

Good stuff mate, look forward to those :)

When you start any new thread, if you scroll down past the box where you type in your message you will see additional options, (below submit new thread/preview post). The bottom option is 'post a poll'

Cheers mate. What does the 'Number of poll options (maximum 20)' mean? It has 4 in that box on mine. Is it how many polls you can have on one thread?

Cheers mate. What does the 'Number of poll options (maximum 20)' mean? It has 4 in that box on mine. Is it how many polls you can have on one thread?

Its for how many options you can vote on in the poll, for example...

Led Zeppelin:

1 - champs
2 - chumps
3 - boring
4 - cool

You could have anything up to 20

Oh right, cheers. So in that thread I would have had -

1 - Chumps.
2 - Self Indulgent.
3 - Boring.
4 - Thank God They Split up.

:lol:

Calm down Zep fans, I'm only joking! :)

Can i vote for ALL four options?? :lol: :loco:

Don't worry, there will be plenty more 'Champions or chumps' threads! Yeah, I think you can do a poll, but I don't know how to do it! I'll investigate it, or if anyone knows how to do it, maybe they can tell me. Cheers.
Cool, great stuff :kickass: :) :headbang:

Oh right, cheers. So in that thread I would have had -

1 - Chumps.
2 - Self Indulgent.
3 - Boring.
4 - Thank God They Split up.

:lol:

Calm down Zep fans, I'm only joking! :)

yeah lol and as crusader suggested you could of added

5 - All of the above !! hehe