Champions or chumps? Deep Purple.

Champions or Chumps?

• The band that molded heavy rock.

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • A great band to see live if you want to have a bit of a kip.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • There is no Deep Purple without Ritchie Blackmore.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Yet another overrated rock band from the 70's.

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

Paxoman

Sep 10, 2002
A stranger in a strange land!
Visit site
Pretty much similar to Led Zep in a way I suppose, in regards that are they rock gods or just self indulgent boring farts? I have to admit to having never ever seen Deep Purple live. With me hating any kind of solo, I can't imagine anything more boring then seeing a drum solo, a keyboard solo, a guitar solo, and whatever else solo!

There is no taking away that Deep Purple have produced some quality music throughout their long career, but are they overrated?

Over to Goss (a big DP fan!).

I have seen Purple a few times,both with and without Blackmore,my first time was in 1985 at Knebworth,will a supporting bill of Scorpions,Meat Loaf,UFO,Blackfoot and many more,some songs they have put out are very good,some are just fillers,Ian Gillan is a fine vocalist,and so was Mr Coverdale,so i saw them 2 years ago and was a bit bored really....

Never really been a fan of them, not really heard alot of them either...I guess 'Machine Head' got their name from the album they did so at least thats something good !

Saxon themselves montion Purple in one of their songs,that says something.I love Purple,so I'm biased.As to solos,they are one of the only bands to admit(not to be ashamed of) the reason for the extended solos happened in the first place.It wasn't just for entertaining the fans,when Blackmore would do his 10+ minute solo,the other guys would have some women waiting backstage and you figure out the rest.My point is there were other reasons for it.They made their mark,no one has that sound,long live Purple. Speaking of Goss,where has he been??

They're not bad, but... I'm just not into that kind of music. I've tried to listen to 70's stuff, but heavy metal is pretty much the only music that I really love. But I could listen to them, they're not bad like I said.

You have to give it to them they could rock big style.Speed King,Highway Star,Smoke on water are fucking great.You only have to look at who has been in the band and the bands they went on to join.Whitesnake and Rainbow to name the big ones.The Deep Purple family tree is like the whos who of Rock/Metal.Now can we get from Purple to Saxon?I shall post again soon.

I'm a bit biased when it comes to Purple ,first saw them in 1973 at Sheffield City hall ,alot of time has past and I've seen alot of bands over the years but that concert is where it all started for me.I'd seen Led Zep the year before,my first 'proper concert', and hadn't been impressed,Purple were from a different planet live.Over the years and different line ups I've seen the good and the bad (Tommy Bolin at Wembley being the low point) of Purple.In Rock,Machine Head and Fireball have stood the test of time as classic rock albums.Burn with Coverdale and Hughes is also a classic ,Mistreated being an all time classic song.Purple are still belting it out and producing decent new material.I'd put seeing Purple and Saxon at Atarfe in Spain two years ago in my all time top five concerts.......Deep Purple are Gods of Rock :headbang:

You have to give it to them they could rock big style.Speed King,Highway Star,Smoke on water are fucking great.You only have to look at who has been in the band and the bands they went on to join.Whitesnake and Rainbow to name the big ones.The Deep Purple family tree is like the whos who of Rock/Metal.Now can we get from Purple to Saxon?I shall post again soon.

From Purple to Saxon,yes there is a way,through Nibbs' association with Fastway,he worked with Don Airey who is with Purple now.Thanks for making me think!

I must admit I am really surprised that nobody voted 'Theres no Deep Purple' without Ritchie Blackmore' (although Golden Goose pretty much said that in his post). But I thought that one would get quite a few votes!

Having seen all the Purple line ups, except the original,I think Steve Morse over the last 10 or so years has demonstrated he is a worthy replacement for Blackmore.I've said it somewhere before on here but the Purple/Saxon gig in Atarfe ,Spain a couple of years ago was in my top five all time concerts.Steve Morse is a stupendous guitarist,Raptures of the Deep is a great album,Ritchie is lost to the rock world sadly.

hi there i was there at knebworth too 22 yrs ago bloody hell ... the other groups on the bill were alaska (with bernie marsden) mountain , and mamas boys great gig but bloody freezing the rain lashed it down

I voted the band that molded heavy rock. But actually havent got any copy of them in my collection... I just dont know much about this band..The name is familiar, but the contents not complete not even 2 %

I voted for the first option. They´re one of the forefathers of heavy metal.

However, I consider them a little overrated in relation to other contemporaries like Uriah Heep or Nazareth (in the UK) or Grand Funk Railroad in the US.

I guess it´s a matter of tastes but I prefer Deep Purple Mark III (with Coverdale and Hughes) to Mark II (Gillan, Glover). Besides, I prefer Rainbow to DP.

I saw them three times lives in Madrid in the last 6 years. First one in orchestra tour. Just Ok but the best part was listening DIO singing "Rainbow in the dark". Other two were during the last two albums tours. A little boring with Ian Gillan "trying to be" the singer that once was. About Steve Morse, for me he´s the best one in the current DP line up. Nobody can be Ritchie but Steve owns a personal style.