Change in style ?

Hiijinx

New Metal Member
Apr 29, 2008
Could just be me but after hearing the upcoming albums work title (plus one of the tracks) is called 12 gauge, and another "bullets are blind" from a youtube video someone posted on lastfm .. I cant help but feel its a world apart from the like of swamphell and typical kalmah titles. Was FTR a sign of things to come?

What does anyone else think of it?

Am hoping its not gonna be another disappointing album of 2009.

Heres the link, I'm not the uploader btw. Cant really hear much to rate it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I watched that one too (thanks, Djura :) ). It does sound a bit different, that's for sure, even though not very much can be heard in the video! However, the music that I actually managed to process in my head sounded really good to me! So, now I'm even more anxious for the album to come out! :)

its alot easier to adjust to something when you arent comparing it to other albums. its not going to be another swampsong or swamplord. just listen to the whole thing once its released as just an album/for what it is and you might be more impressed than you think. everyone said this stuff when the black waltz was released but that album kicked ass! along with FTR. its just a different era but still great music. just like bodom everyone is expecting an older style album when that is not where they are at in their music career.

Even though the sound is bad, i already love this song. There's a riff in there that gets me, just like in every other Kalmah song.

just listen to the whole thing once its released as just an album/for what it is and you might be more impressed than you think. everyone said this stuff when the black waltz was released but that album kicked ass! along with FTR. its just a different era but still great music. just like bodom everyone is expecting an older style album when that is not where they are at in their music career.

Yep, it's true! And that's the way it is with most bands out there... After all, those musicians are people and not some machines, programmed to do the same thing over and over again! They change... they "grow", develop and improve all the time (and I don't mean just musically but, in every aspect) and so does the music they create - it's inevitable!
... The Black Waltz did kick ass (and still does)... and so do all the rest of Kalmah's albums, they just hit you in a different way :) !

Hmm... FTR - a major letdown... that's strange, I actually think it's a pretty strong album! But then again, everyone has their own point of view on things :).

well, the thing is, saying that it's unfair for people to expect them to release another swampsong isn't something i completely agree with. the first three albums were clearly definitive of the Kalmah "style." while all the albums sounded slightly different, the overall style was the same...and it was a fucking amazing style of music. the black waltz was a bit different, but still another ass kicking album even though a new era in the kalmah sound was apparently making itself known. songs like terminal intensity just don't seem like they were even written by the same band that gave us bird of ill omen, for example. and ftr ( just look at the mainstream, completely unoriginal title) had a lot of blandness and filler. the musical style was a departure from the kalmah niche they dug in the metal world. my point is basically that if kalmah had, from their debut as a band released completely different sounding albums, thematically, musically, etc, then one would have no right to accuse the band of changing styles since they had no style to begin with. but, just play swamplord then put on for the revolution. you can clearly hear a dramatic change in presentation. it's still good music. but it almost seems too easy for kalmah. i believe the band could do better, from a creative and especially melodic riff writing standpoint.

When bands keep their sound for a new album, we complain; lack of originality.
When bands change their sound for a new album, we complain; "it's just not like the older stuff".

Metalheads, IMO, give too much importance to styles. "Is this metalcore? Oh, nevermind then, i wont like it."

Who cares what "style" or "genre" the new album is? As long as it's still badass riff-driven melodic swamp metal written by these same guys, i'm ok with that.

And about FTR being so different: when my brother played a song from FTR for the first time in the basement just after it was leaked (i think it was Like a Slave), it took about 10 seconds before i spit out my dinner in euphoria because i had just recognize Kalmah's sound. I guess it didn't change that much after all?

Metalheads, IMO, give too much importance to styles. "Is this metalcore? Oh, nevermind then, i wont like it."

Who cares what "style" or "genre" the new album is? As long as it's still badass riff-driven melodic swamp metal written by these same guys, i'm ok with that.

Well I just don't like any metalcore and every metalcore I've heard has been just generic and boring. If I know forehand that something sounds like certain style, I know if I'm gonna like it or not, at least most of the times. For example, if Kalmah would turn in to Bullet For My Valentine vol.2, I would know that it wouldn't get me interested.

Genres are there just to ease things, although sometimes people tend to take genre idiotism in to ridiculous scale. If one feels that it's music doesn't fit in to any genre, then make a new one.

Man I've been ignoring this thread but I just have to weigh in. There is NO way Kalmah is going to make a metalcore album. Not sure what buddy was hearing in the video but I listened to it a few times and I'm not hearing much in the way of metalcore.

Kalmah, as usual, will deliver a crushing album.