Changing from 7 string to 6string

drunkard

Like Sin Explode
May 18, 2007
Greece
www.myspace.com
We just got an endorsment deal and I thought it was a good time to buy a 7string guitar.The fact is that we play in D tuning and the other guitar player has a 6 string and bass player a 4 string.So I want to know how possible is it to play with a 7string but dont play the 7th string at all.I Know jeff loomis does that for his old songs but what do you think?And if you ask why would I need a 7string if I dont play the 7th string,the answer is because I write my stuff and because I would love to play some 7string songs.Plz let me know your experiences

THanks

I have a schecter C7 blackjack and the only problem I can think of is when I play clean stuff...like when you play chords where you must let each note ring.
Because the strings are slightly closer together I often touch the adjacent strings with my finger and mute it. But playing clean stuff is not my strong point anyway and I do have fat fingers. Plus, the distance between strings varies from each 7string guitar I think.

For any other use you shouldn't have any problems. It's like playing a 6 string guitar and not using the 6th string...

Euxaristw man.:) So would you buy in my place a 7string or a 6th string?I dont know man I got this endorsment so I can buy a really good guitar cheap enough so I am thinking if I want an Good 7string(which I never played before and might not like it but love to have one)or a good 6string(which I play all that time)

Get the 6-string. Get a cheapish 7 string later from Ebay, and if you don't like it, sell it on. If you do like it, sell it anyway, and get another 7-string that's on the level of craftsmanship that you require.

hmm, difficult decision,
but maybe when you got finally the 7string, you probably will end up writting some new and fresh riffs for you band just because your enviroment has changed, and these are then sooo cool that the second guitars will need a 7string too?

haha, i dont know...

most of my guitars are 6strings, but i have one 7string too, but it ended up that i dont play it very often...cause for our songs 6strings are working fine.

cheers
exoslime

Euxaristw man.:) So would you buy in my place a 7string or a 6th string?I dont know man I got this endorsment so I can buy a really good guitar cheap enough so I am thinking if I want an Good 7string(which I never played before and might not like it but love to have one)or a good 6string(which I play all that time)

I can't really answer that. Personally I really like 7 string guitars and I'm never going back. For some reason they're not so popular here in greece, I'm really having trouble finding a guitarist for my band. Maybe you should go to a store and try one, something I never had the chance to do myself since I'm lefthanded...I bought mine blindly, but I don't regret it one bit.

I've played 7-string guitars pretty much exclusively since I got my first one about two years ago. I have owned some 6-strings after that too, but I always ended up not playing them, so I sold them on. I play all the "6-string stuff" on my 7-strings too without any problems. If I need to use drop D or whatever, I drop the B to A too and so on. I had my first 8-string guitar some time ago, and I liked it, but the specs didn't work for me. I bought it just to see if 8-strings were my thing though, so I sold it pretty soon and ordered a fanned fret 8-string from the same luthier who built my 7-string.

I'd say go for it!

We just got an endorsment deal and I thought it was a good time to buy a 7string guitar.The fact is that we play in D tuning and the other guitar player has a 6 string and bass player a 4 string.So I want to know how possible is it to play with a 7string but dont play the 7th string at all.I Know jeff loomis does that for his old songs but what do you think?And if you ask why would I need a 7string if I dont play the 7th string,the answer is because I write my stuff and because I would love to play some 7string songs.Plz let me know your experiences

THanks

Just tune the 7 string down a whole step so it's tuned ADGCFAD and then don't use the 7th string on your old songs.

Just tune the 7 string down a whole step so it's tuned ADGCFAD and then don't use the 7th string on your old songs.

+1 That's what I'd do.

If you don't want to, it shouldn't be a hard change at all. Hardest part for me was getting used to the smaller neck but just play for a couple of hours and you should be good. Plus it's easier to find all the accessories for a 6 string if you ever want to change shit out. Good luck!

I mainly play 7 string. I play in a 2 guitar band with a 6 stringer. At first I just didn't play the low B now at all and played the songs the same way I used to. It's not too hard to work around the extra string.
I'd say if you are interested in a 7 string to give it a go. It was one of the best moves I made as a guitar player.

I've played 7 string in a band that was tuned to E standard. It was great because I could add some low end contrast to what the other guitarist was doing.

I've played 7 string in a band that was tuned to E standard. It was great because I could add some low end contrast to what the other guitarist was doing.

Yeah but you know the think is we play thrash metal.So its mostly standard the stuff we are playing.Maybe I can add the 7th string to the solos.Still,I dont know what to do,,,,:erk:

Go for it and get a seven string. I've had one for only a few months now, and I find it very easy to play six string songs on it. Just mute the seventh string with your thumb if you're strumming, simple as that. However, going back to playing a real six string can feel weird - the necks feel tiny! It's not going to be a waste even if your band just plays on six strings, seeing as you're keen on learning seven string stuff at least on your own.

Well, you get used to the "7th" string. I wouldn't use it on stage when I only got it for about two weeks or something. You WILL definately make mistakes because you are used to the six strings and will play the 7th by accident sometimes...
Since you're in a band situation... Do you write alot of stuff for yourself or mostly for your band? I ask this because when I was in a band I didn't do much anymore except the work in the band, I didn't really have alot of time for my own stuff anymore.
Since the other guitarist doesn't have a 7 string (and bass player not a 5) you'll probably can't write 7 string tunes for your band so... In other words will you end up using it alot for your own work, that's something you should think about.
Will you like the 7 string? Well I think so... It's always fun to try new things and experiment and blabla.. It just keeps you busy as a musician and that's great. I don't have a 7 string mysef but I played a 7 string schecter ones and I wish to buy one in a few months. (Probably an Ibanez Xiphos).
IF you'll buy one: I would just buy a good one right away instead of a cheapo, since you probably will like it and end up wanting a better one.

Well, you get used to the "7th" string. I wouldn't use it on stage when I only got it for about two weeks or something. You WILL definately make mistakes because you are used to the six strings and will play the 7th by accident sometimes...
Since you're in a band situation... Do you write alot of stuff for yourself or mostly for your band? I ask this because when I was in a band I didn't do much anymore except the work in the band, I didn't really have alot of time for my own stuff anymore.
Since the other guitarist doesn't have a 7 string (and bass player not a 5) you'll probably can't write 7 string tunes for your band so... In other words will you end up using it alot for your own work, that's something you should think about.
Will you like the 7 string? Well I think so... It's always fun to try new things and experiment and blabla.. It just keeps you busy as a musician and that's great. I don't have a 7 string mysef but I played a 7 string schecter ones and I wish to buy one in a few months. (Probably an Ibanez Xiphos).
IF you'll buy one: I would just buy a good one right away instead of a cheapo, since you probably will like it and end up wanting a better one.

Thanks for your reply friend.Well I am exactly like you,I dont have so much time to write my stuff eitherway.I think I ll go with the 6 string ,and if I am happy with the quality of the company,maybe I ll get a 7string later.

Thanks all of you