changing guitar strings

maxxkagato

New Metal Member
Sep 17, 2007
I did some searching, but didn't find a post on this topic, so if someone knows where it is, please send me on my way.

When doing a record where you are using one or two guitars for many hours on end, how often do you change strings to keep the tone fresh?

I feel it is hard to tell when strings are "dying" for a lack of a better term, since they wear out gradually and I feel that my hearing adjusts to certain sounds over time. Are there any maxims that people follow (ie: change strings every day, every 4 hours, every song)?

I play guitar about 8 hours a day, and I dont feel the need to change strings more than once every other week.
But alot depends on hygiene, if you dont wash your hands before you play, your strings will get bad in a couple of days if you play alot, so make sure the guitarists washes their hands before every season of recording.
The best way to tell if the strings are bad or not is actually just to look at the string at the first fret. If you look underneath it there, and see grit stuck under it, the strings will have to be changed or cleaned in a couple of days.

The best way to clean the strings underneath is simply to take a moist rag under the strings, and grab the ends at each side of the fretboard, and just wipe it along the strings, after a few days of playing you will see that alot of "dirt" sticks to the rag, even if you have washed your hands before playing.

Also make sure to clean the entire guitar before putting the new set of strings on, or you will get grit on them from the guitar AND the player.

Just a guess but Notuern is either a pro (thats all he does for a living) or one of those "thats how I do, bitches" type of guitarists.

Actually, neither, but you are close!
I am studying to become a pro. :)
The only problem is that I dislike the use of Musical Notation and Tabs. :lol:

saigon kick.. jason bieler.. he played a beat ass ESP guitar.. the label sent him boxes of strings.. he never changed em once and that album rules.

The problem with notation on guitar is that you can take the same note on so many places, and depending on what notes thats before and after, you will have different optimal places on the fretboard to play it.
Thats why Tabs are far more superior to Musical Notation when it comes to just play the thing right of on the guitar, but I agree that it is harder to see the "musical" bit about it, but hey, why would you need to see the "musical" about it when youre just playing right of a sheet? Its a different thing when analyzing the music though.

Well I'm able to read standard notation, but I almost never need any kind of sheet music for the guitar in general, cuz I learn stuff by ear. But as far as sending a bandmate tabs, I always use Guitar Pro (or some other notation software with playback), so you can get the easy legibility of tabs, the rhythmic precision of notation, and the easiest of them all, IMO - just listening to the damn thing!

Oh right, strings - once a month or whenever they start to get grimy.

The best way to clean the strings underneath is simply to take a moist rag under the strings, and grab the ends at each side of the fretboard, and just wipe it along the strings, after a few days of playing you will see that alot of "dirt" sticks to the rag, even if you have washed your hands before playing.

I HIGHLY disagree.

Strings-> metal-> water-> rust.

It is good to whipe strings down, but a wet rag is hardly the ideal way to keep your strings "fresh".

Anybody else not like rubbing their stringz with oil or fast fret -esque things? I feel it makes the strings greasy. Almost like KFC had sex with my guitar or something.

I never use that stuff, I just try to keep my strings clean and sort of fresh and make sure I get some of the fretboard buildup off every once in a while. Though, with my preference of Ebony fretboards, you don't really need to have it oiled as you might like to with a rosewood board.