Changing string - how often?

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
hey there,

well, it's basically common knowledge that fresh strings are very important when recording, both for guitars and bass.

as the title already imposes: i wonder how often one should change strings over the course of a full length album, let's say like 10 songs?

as for guitars, i could imagine that strings are changed for every song.

however, i'm unsure about bass guitar....on one hand, i guess that the strings play a large role in the overall bass sound. on the other hand though, bass strings are fucking EXPENSIVE, especially if youre playing something better than regular d'addario or the likes, and besides bass doesn't have to quad track stuff all the time, so guess there should be less wear out per song right?

basically, should one change bass strings every song, every other song, or something like half through the record?
i guess that changing strings every song for a 10 song record quickly adds up to like 500€ or something...lotta cash imho.

edit: just realized the spelling mistake in the title....lol :wall:

If I were sitting down to do a full length (which I haven't done in ages), I would change strings at least once for 10 songs for the rythm guitar and bass, and if I have a seperate guitar for leads, maybe not at all (just make sure they're fresh when tracking begins). Bass strings tend to keep their brightness longer, but I'd still change them at least once.

Although, if I got halfway through the record and the strings still sounded good, and there were no intonation issues, I would leave them on and keep going! :D

Hope this helps dude! :headbang:

Guitar strings could easily be needing to be done everyday if the shit got played out of them. Bass strings, im not so sure i'd change them as often... as soon as you sense the springyness has left the instrument I guess- but im not a bassist!

I'd say it depends on a few different things. For guitars I'd say you should change strings for every song if you are quadtracking and maybe every other song if you're double tracking. Of course this also depends on the length and complexity of the songs. If the songs are very technical and requires lots of takes to get them right, I'd say you'd need to change them more often.
For bass, I can imagine it depends a lot on whether the bassist plays with his fingers or a pick.

I'd say it depends on a few different things. For guitars I'd say you should change strings for every song if you are quadtracking and maybe every other song if you're double tracking. Of course this also depends on the length and complexity of the songs. If the songs are very technical and requires lots of takes to get them right, I'd say you'd need to change them more often.
For bass, I can imagine it depends a lot on whether the bassist plays with his fingers or a pick.

Wow - every song? That's a lot! Not bashing the idea at all (actually, this is probably a good practice for a serious release), just saying - that's a lot. I re-string and re-intonate everytime I re-string, so the thought of re-stringing / intonating after every song would make me insane!! :lol:

well, to specify, i'm talking about rather technical death metal stuff here, that will be quadtracked...i'll also have the bass player use a pick (he isn't exactly the best, plus i absolutely love the punch of picked bass for fast death metal).

well, it kinda comforts me that i won't have to tell them to buy shitloads of expensive bass strings...thanks for the answers guys!

edit: also it's a serious record (while not major label obviously lol).....definitely not "some punk band from next door" ;)