How often are you guys changing strings when tracking rhythm guitars?

"Evil" Aidy

Mörti Viventi
Jul 15, 2007
Stamford, Lincs
Probably a bit of a strange question - Just wondering how often are you guys changing strings when tracking rhythm/lead guitars?

Every song?

Or do you play it by ear and wait til you get a noticable dull tone?

:err:

I change 'em less often :)

Basically everytime I track something serious myself, which is every 4 years on average ...

I like that mentality. My ESP that I used for the majority of my songs I've posted here had the same strings on them for over a year and a half. I changed the strings on my other guitars a little more often. I really find no big difference in tone once everything is in the mix. I clean the strings, however, and my hands never get sweaty. I'll probably use a new set for each song for our album though.

Thanks for the advice!

I'll probably opt for the new strings before every track option if the strings have got particularly sweaty other than that I'll see how it goes!

Cheers

I probably go through 3 packs a year; so is use the strings for about 4 months at a time. I can start to notice the strings getting more dull sounding and the intonation changing. Then I know it's time to change the strings.

i only change mines when something breaks
the good ol boil technique keeps em at least looking shiny :)

See, for me, I have really freakin' sweaty hands and my strings always get ridiculously grimy, so I usually change mine every 1 1/2 - 2 months (and sure, I could wipe 'em off, but then I'd be more inclined to keep 'em on longer!)

Depends where i'm living... While i am living inland in a cold town i only have to change strings about twice a year. When i'm living on the coast in warmer climate, i found the salty sea air causes corrosion a lot quicker and needed to change once a month. Wiping the guitar down with cloth every time i'm finished helps, but i'm pretty lazy and don't do it very often.

I like to change my strings every 2 weeks or so, It really depends how much playing your doing, old grimey strings just dont intonate as predictably / as well.

it totally depends, man...if i'm just fucking around and jamming, i'll leave the same set on until they break

if i'm trying to record something, and i want it to sound good, i'll change after 5-6 hours playing time