guitar strings, and recording, how about YOU?

As long as you use the same gauge and brand of strings you shouldn't have any intonation problems. You're supposed to do the intonation with brand new strings, so you'de have more a chance of bad intonation after the strings stretch out.

I have way better success keeping strings in tune when their brand new vs. a couple days old. That next couple days they're in the stretching period.

As long as you use the same gauge and brand of strings you shouldn't have any intonation problems. You're supposed to do the intonation with brand new strings, so you'de have more a chance of bad intonation after the strings stretch out.

I have way better success keeping strings in tune when their brand new vs. a couple days old. That next couple days they're in the stretching period.

+1000

I don't see why your guitar/any guitars you're tracking would be going out of tune all the time. I suggest learning how to set up a guitar nicely and intonate/restring the clients guitar for a fee before you record (I do). I have a JS100 Ibanez with a Edge Pro, I literally haven't tuned it in a month. It does not go out of tune.

Neither do my other guitars, most guitars go out of tune because the nut is cut improperly. You may need to widen a slot or two, or lubricate.

Also, I change strings often. When it starts to sound lifeless unplugged, its time.

Bass strings, ARE A FUCKING MUST. If you don't change your bass strings before you track anything thats worthwhile, you must be INSANE. I have a $170 Agile bass with stock pups that sounds beast when you put new strings on and doodoo when they get old. Bass strings get worn out real fast.

Are you guys just putting new string on and then checking the tunning on the 12th fret and making sure its the same as open with a standard tuner?

Joey whats your method in the studio?

Stringing up the guitar correctly is key here. The strings only needs to wrap around the peg 1.5 to 2 times and always down to keep pressure against the nut. Never let the string wind over it self. After its strung up and the strings have a little tension, stretch the fuck out of them! Seriously really, really stretch them and pull the string hard against both nuts. If a string breaks I figure it was fucked anyways and would have broken eventually. Replace it and keep going. Let the guitars settle a little after that and tune up. Always check intonation after each string change.

I've never had a guitar that wouldn't keep really good tune after doing this. It might take another hour or two to really settle in, but after that there's almost no need to tune up at all. Of course I'll still keep checking often, but its rarely out.

+1

I go through the process of stretching and retuning usually several times, and then after just a little playing time they should be perfectly stable.

If it won't stay in tune after that - the guitar is fucked.

Another thing worth mentioning as well is always tuning up to pitch. Always start with the string flat and tune up. If it's sharp I usually just flatten all the strings, stretch then tune up to pitch.

+1

I go through the process of stretching and retuning usually several times, and then after just a little playing time they should be perfectly stable.

If it won't stay in tune after that - the guitar is fucked.

Another note, if you're really stretching the fuck out of your strings, let them rest for a couple of min before you tune up again. The strings will actually contract back a little after the stretching so if you tune up to soon you'll be sharp once they settle.

Bass strings, ARE A FUCKING MUST. If you don't change your bass strings before you track anything thats worthwhile, you must be INSANE. I have a $170 Agile bass with stock pups that sounds beast when you put new strings on and doodoo when they get old. Bass strings get worn out real fast.
Couldn't agree more.

IMO, fresh sounding strings are absolutely essential for clean and acoustic work. Dirty guitars and bass not as much. Yes, I'm a dissenting voice on the bass thing, but I also don't do techy metal. I see where it's important for that sort of bass tone though.

I check tuning constantly while tracking anything important. I often split my signal into a tuner; I've even kept one in the chain. Like, every punch constantly.

while we are on the topic of tuning. . .

i dont know how many people use this method but from my experience the best way to tune a guitar is to start with the low e, then the high e, then a, b, d and last g. in other words, work your way to the middle, instead of going straight up or down. it preserves the tuning more efficiently and doesn't warp the neck.

also, once u have tuned your guitar, give each string a nice pluck as if u were popping on a bass and that will release the extra tension and bring each string's note down a few cents. repeat this process until you can pluck the string without it going out of tune.

i dont meet too many people that tune this way but as someone who is obsessive about tuning, this has been the "end all be all" for me, i have never had a problem with my guitar going out of tune since, . . . i dont play very hard and i use thin to medium picks but i hope you give it a shot, joey and the gang! i happen to have an ibanez but i noticed that esp and ltd's hold the tuning VERY WELL!

welp thats my 2 cents, even though it felt more like a buck fifty!