Changing Music Industry

livemusic213

New Metal Member
Nov 12, 2010
Found this through a colleague. I'm always kind of interested in business models of different artists, and how everyone seems to kind of agree that MUSIC IS FREE, and artists need to make money, not through music, but through touring and selling creative merchandise.

Check this out:

(It's for THE CULT)

Free single giveaway: http://aderra.net/Cult_download.html
Their merch site: http://cultcapsulestore.com/

Trent Reznor does a great job of coming up with creative ways to make money.

Any more links / comments?

Yeah its certainly an interesting topic, i think bands need to focus on providing more content, be it in the form of physical books or art or whatever you could come up with, this way bundled with the music it might allow them to generate more cd sales instead of relying heavily on touring..

Just my 2 cents

Music buisness has changed. Long gone are the days when practically every artist could relese an album and make tons of cash on it just like that. Illegal downloading is flourishing, and sites like the Pirate Bay and Kickass torrents will always be around. So instead of fighting something the music buisness will never be able to stop, they should try and find more ways to make money (they should have no problem with that)

Maybe I'm misinformed, but the ability to buy high bitrate single tracks seems rather limited ATM. As someone who downloads a lot but only buys albums that are great as a whole I can absolutely say that the industry would get more of my money if I could simply buy individual tracks I decided I liked (from aforementioned downloading) and skip the filler.

You do realize that a lot of small bands spent more money than they earn when they tour, do you?

Yes sir! and thats what sucks even more for new artists..
you follow a passion, do a part-time job to pursue it, and while on road pay to play again!

Truly, i think in todays modern society, it really do think that musicians could benefit from embracing the power of the internet as a means of sales and distribution.

As things evolve online, im sure we will see more opportunities put into the hands of independent artists.

I dunno. In terms of the evolving music industry the Internet seems to only be good for getting more exposure, not so much song sales. I mean, why bother downloading from Itunes when you could get it for free from file-sharing websites? I personally prefer the CD, as it means you have something to show for your money. Still, thats just my opnion.

More exposure = more sales. I dont know about you, but I dont have the cash to drop on any random cd that I think might be good based on the cover/band name/random rec. Being a poor college student sucks, but I drop a fair share of my leftovers on cds since im a whore for lossless quality music.

More exposure = more sales. I dont know about you, but I dont have the cash to drop on any random cd that I think might be good based on the cover/band name/random rec. Being a poor college student sucks, but I drop a fair share of my leftovers on cds since im a whore for lossless quality music.

True enough. But does more exposure through more sales, really outwiegh all the potential sales lost through illegal downloads?

If people already have big CD collections, then they are happy to keep adding to them, but will this trend continue? With many young people who can get access to all of that back catalogue in a few hours online, it sort of removes the motivation to collect CDs. My CD collection would be near 1,000 items and I have some vinyl too – all of which took years to amass, and included tracking down some of the rare “classics” in second hand shops and on eBay. But I can't for the life of me see young folk spending that kind of money to “catch up” when they have an alternative, albeit illegal, option at their disposal.

But if a band can't sell their CD to people (when clearly, many people are still buying CDs, maybe the music just isn't “good” enough? Maybe it's the musicians who also have a slight sense of entitlement, that just because they write songs they feel entitled to a paycheck because that's how everyone else did it before them.

If there are still music fans out there who will buy CDs, and you just can't pitch your wares to these people hook, line and sinker, maybe you need to write better music. They might like the music, but they aren't blow away by it to the extent to go out and give you something back for it. I know free is very hard to compete with, but the fact remains that people still buy music. Try asking these people why they still buy music and then work out a way so that they'll feel the same way about your music. It's difficult, but who said trying to be a working musician was easy, eh?