Changing pickups

eddi94

New Metal Member
Mar 23, 2011
Hey guys, i was thinking about replacing the stock EMG pickups that are in my ESP LTD EC-1000 with Dimarzio's, Steve's Special and Air Norton to be more specific. I already know that i have to replace the pots on the guitar so i was wondering, what pots should i get, i'm only going to have a volume and a tone knob and they have to be 500k ohm. Here is the diagram for the pickup wiring http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/JPM100.pdf
Thanks in advance

Ah, like a JPM. Always a good choice. I'd personally suggest either Bourns or DiMarzio pots. Great experience with both. For your tone capacitor, Orange Sprague Drop Cap, all the way.

You may even want to try a 1 Megohm tone to open up the top end a bit more, but that depends on if you have a figured top on it or not. Let me know how it works out; I'm curious to see how an SS would sound in a Les Paul-style guitar.

thank you very much, i am definitely going to get the Dimarzio pots and the Orange Sprague .022mfd Drop Capacitor

Ah, like a JPM. Always a good choice. I'd personally suggest either Bourns or DiMarzio pots. Great experience with both. For your tone capacitor, Orange Sprague Drop Cap, all the way.

You may even want to try a 1 Megohm tone to open up the top end a bit more, but that depends on if you have a figured top on it or not. Let me know how it works out; I'm curious to see how an SS would sound in a Les Paul-style guitar.
i just put the pickups in yesterday and they sound amazing, the guitar sounds much better with the Steve's Special and Air Norton than with the EMG's

i just put the pickups in yesterday and they sound amazing, the guitar sounds much better with the Steve's Special and Air Norton than with the EMG's

Awesome, glad to hear it! I love the Air Norton; my personal favorite neck pickup (of course, I haven't really played the Liquifire yet, so...).

By chance, does your guitar have a figured top on it, or is it one of the flat finishes?

Awesome, glad to hear it! I love the Air Norton; my personal favorite neck pickup (of course, I haven't really played the Liquifire yet, so...).

By chance, does your guitar have a figured top on it, or is it one of the flat finishes?
it has a flat finish