Cheap acoustic guitars?

ArtGarceau

Jan 24, 2007
Chicago
I'm looking to pick up an inexpensive acoustic that doesn't completely stink. I just want something to noodle around with that doesn't play like a pile of plywood. I plan on heading over to the guitar store this weekend, and wanted to see if you guys have any recommendations on brands or models to look at.

You get what you pay for man. If you pay for a pile of plywood, that's what you get.

~006

Simon and Patrick always impressed me. Also, the lower end Taylor's (the 114 is great little guitar). On the real budget end of the spectrum look at the Washburn D10CE, great guitar for the money as is the Yamaha APX-500.

I love yamaha acoustics, some of the old ones have really thin mega easy to play necks. They are really mellow and warm sounding when they age a bit.

A good acoustic is like good cheese. It matures well.

Joe

Yamahas are good for the money. I've also been surprised by the quality of cheaper Ibanez acoustics (this sentiment was also shared by the boss of a local importer, who sells competing brands..).

Yamaha or Washburn.

Sometimes cheap acoustic guitars vibe more than expensive ones. I would just go down to some shops and try out a bunch and find one that feels and plays good.

I got a Simon & Patrick Folk for Christmas and I really love it, absolutely beautiful finish and it sounds great fingerpicked. It needs new strings, so hopefully it'll sound even better with some new bronze on it.

Another beaut is my Dad's old Tanglewood, (10 years and counting). Man that things sounds incredible, really warm and clear. He picked that up for £190 recently. Its the TW45N model.

I think in some sense you get what you pay for with acoustics, but also you can overpay too.

Definitely play them and get one you like and in you price range.

I would personally look for a solid top at least.

I picked up a cheapy $70 one recently from a Music123 blowout. I wish I would have saved and bought something nicer. But I do my own guitar work. So after a fret job, new nut, new saddle, some love, and new strings. It does sound ok and is recognizable as an acoustic guitar with some well placed mics and reverb :)

I figure it makes a nice beater for when I get something nicer.

Seagull. We carry some pretty nice Washburns where I work as well, but Seagull, man.... Great bargain.