Cheap but effective interface

MarkG

Feb 15, 2009
Netherlands
First post! I hope I'm putting this in the right section...

I was using a line6 toneport GX, but it BBQed itself today and died. Don't know why, but now I need a new interface.

I own an ENGL Blackmore I want to use to record with. I've been reading about impulses and I'm very eager to use my Blackmore for a recording where I use an impulse for the poweramp, cab and micing.

Please recommend me an interface I can use. I've been looking at this one, but if you know of better alternatives in the same price class let me know.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/M-Audio...ter-Recording-Interface-102935160-i1154546.gc

thanks!

what do you think about M-audio firewire interfaces??
for example, i had thought to buy m-audio firewire solo. what do you think about this product?

and, that EMU is good?

i have a pod X3 and i am thinking to buy a firewire interface (or similar) to record directly via spdif to my interface from my pod spdif output.
there is big difference between pod usb direct record to pc and this method???
it is the reason that makes me about acquiring an interface.

Perhaps I should say this again, I'm using a laptop so a firewire interface is not an option. I'm looking for a USB interface to record DI tracks, and My amplifiers effects loop send/preamp mixer out for recordings with impulses.

I still have the gearbox software and various VST plugins, so modelling software in the interface is not required. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I'd like to place an order for an interface today so I might have it in this week.

Thanks again

Just to throw it out there, just because you are using a laptop does not mean firewire interfaces are not an option. A lot of laptops these days come with FW connections on them, and most all laptops have a PCMCIA slot where you can put a FireWire card in it...

As long as you are running USB2.0 on the laptop, though, it should be fine. My friend just got a M-Audio FastTrack USB. It's ok for recording demos n stuff. He programs drums with Addictive Drums then just mics up his Laney/Marshall cab for the guitars on the demos. Works out well, sounds decent enough. It's USB 1.0 though, so monitoring THROUGH the DAW will be next to impossible when tracking, but it has latency free monitoring via the mix knob on the front. It lets you hear the mic signal straight through the interface. That's about as good as that gets from M-Audio (NEW), if you were looking at used more options open up.

Or you could wait a little bit longer because...you obviously aren't in DIRE need of something right away...then you could save up and get a FireWire card for your laptop and reap the benefits of faster data rate, i.e. better latency n shiza. Plus it opens you up for FW interfaces which typically have more features and are easier to find and get ahold of. ;)

~006

Just to throw it out there, just because you are using a laptop does not mean firewire interfaces are not an option. A lot of laptops these days come with FW connections on them, and most all laptops have a PCMCIA slot where you can put a FireWire card in it...

As long as you are running USB2.0 on the laptop, though, it should be fine. My friend just got a M-Audio FastTrack USB. It's ok for recording demos n stuff. He programs drums with Addictive Drums then just mics up his Laney/Marshall cab for the guitars on the demos. Works out well, sounds decent enough. It's USB 1.0 though, so monitoring THROUGH the DAW will be next to impossible when tracking, but it has latency free monitoring via the mix knob on the front. It lets you hear the mic signal straight through the interface. That's about as good as that gets from M-Audio (NEW), if you were looking at used more options open up.

Or you could wait a little bit longer because...you obviously aren't in DIRE need of something right away...then you could save up and get a FireWire card for your laptop and reap the benefits of faster data rate, i.e. better latency n shiza. Plus it opens you up for FW interfaces which typically have more features and are easier to find and get ahold of. ;)

~006

Thanks, thats a very helpful reply :kickass: Unfortunately, I am in a bit of a rush. My parents are in the USA for a week, so I have this 1 week window of getting cheaper gear. I also used the toneport at band writing sessions to make quick recordings of ideas, and experiment with effects. Next band meeting is next thursday, but I suppose I'm pretty much screwed for that one regardless:D

I've been looking at the M-audio stuff, but today line6 got some more interest from me. The toneport GX only has a single instrument input, but it comes with PODfarm which I could use for reamping etc. The toneportUX1 costs just as much, but lacks PODfarm and has a MIC input and preamp instead. M-audio has no PODfarm, but is hopefully more reliable than line6...since my toneport just sizzled to death for no reason.

do you think?
joey in this forum (he recorded Oceano new album) use his POD XT into a firewire interface (spdif). if it was same quality, why he uses interface? why he don´t uses only usb?

do you think?
joey in this forum (he recorded Oceano new album) use his POD XT into a firewire interface (spdif). if it was same quality, why he uses interface? why he don´t uses only usb?

Because the D/A conversion on the PODxt for running monitors out of sucks compared to his FF800, and he needs more inputs/outputs when tracking than just runnnig a POD via USB. That, and the latency will be much better with an interface.

Thanks, thats a very helpful reply :kickass: Unfortunately, I am in a bit of a rush. My parents are in the USA for a week, so I have this 1 week window of getting cheaper gear. I also used the toneport at band writing sessions to make quick recordings of ideas, and experiment with effects. Next band meeting is next thursday, but I suppose I'm pretty much screwed for that one regardless:D

I've been looking at the M-audio stuff, but today line6 got some more interest from me. The toneport GX only has a single instrument input, but it comes with PODfarm which I could use for reamping etc. The toneportUX1 costs just as much, but lacks PODfarm and has a MIC input and preamp instead. M-audio has no PODfarm, but is hopefully more reliable than line6...since my toneport just sizzled to death for no reason.

I have a Tascam US-122, you kind find them for around $100 to $150. It has 2 mic pres, 2 line level 1/4", and two instrument (guitar) inputs. USB 2.0, and fast enough to monitor through the daw.

IMO it's an overlooked cheap interface!

I have a Tascam US-122, you kind find them for around $100 to $150. It has 2 mic pres, 2 line level 1/4", and two instrument (guitar) inputs. USB 2.0, and fast enough to monitor through the daw.

IMO it's an overlooked cheap interface!

Thank you! A useful suggestion, I'll look into it. I was beginning to fear eternally_gutted had jacked the thread to death...

thanks a lot for thoses answers.;)
could i make a quick question?
i wanted to buy a firewire and now, my main doubt is cubase or nuendo?
i read that they´re similars.