Cheap cab

LynchpiN

Don't like presets.
Aug 6, 2004
Brazil
www.dynahead.com.br
I asked it on another thread, but people were too busy bashing each other. :heh: j/k

Well, have any of you heard about Silver Series speakers by Celestion? A friend of mine is selling a Trace-Elliott Tramp 412F cab cheap, and I want to know if it's any good. Sounds decent to me, never tried recording. I felt it much more consistent than those chinese Marshalls, so common around here.

I'm thinking of getting it and loading with 1 or 2 V30's, when I get the money.

I'm also looking for a Triple XXX cab, loaded with Sheffields. Twice as expensive as the Trace-Elliot, btw. Still, half the price of a Mesa.

I know that any Mesa smoke TE's, but I can't afford super-duper cabs. Any impression will be of good help.

LynchpiN said:
I asked it on another thread, but people were too busy bashing each other. :heh: j/k
chinese Marshalls, so common around here.

I'm thinking of getting it and loading with 1 or 2 V30's, when I get the money.

Well Marshall are not built in china, they're built in the uk! on mine there's written made in the UK :D
Marshall with V30's they rock, great sound and the weight is light compared to mesa, which are really heavy but the sound is far way better.
Marshalls very cheap here, with v30's just for 700 Euros I think

Lyncpin said:
I'm also looking for a Triple XXX cab, loaded with Sheffields. Twice as expensive as the Trace-Elliot, btw. Still, half the price of a Mesa.

I know that any Mesa smoke TE's, but I can't afford super-duper cabs. Any impression will be of good help.

Never tried TE, Brett having recorded to-mera knows them well
Triplexxx's are very good sounding cabs, very warm tone compared to 5150's cab
you get triplexxx here for 900 euros

Maurizio

kaomao said:
Well Marshall are not built in china, they're built in the uk! on mine there's written made in the UK :D
Marshall with V30's they rock, great sound and the weight is light compared to mesa, which are really heavy but the sound is far way better.
Marshalls very cheap here, with v30's just for 700 Euros I think

I think what he meant was that most Celestions are now made in China with different glue and I think a few different components (?) than the old ones used. Mesa actually still has their Celestions built the old way in England though.

Richard Tull said:
I think what he meant was that most Celestions are now made in China with different glue and I think a few different components (?) than the old ones used. Mesa actually still has their Celestions built the old way in England though.

I have yet to hear anything negative either sound or performance wise about the Chinese built Celestions. The fact of the matter is Celestion has been sourcing to China for ten years, and I believe was bought by a Chinese company 10 years ago. It wasn't until the Greenbacks went to China that people started making an issue of it. I have several friends at various smaller "boutique" amplifier company's that have done side-by-side comparisions, and if there is a difference, it's negligible.

I was not aware that any Vintage 30's were still made in England. Where did you hear Mesa was still receiving V30's mfg'd there? I'm also curious who your source is for the info that the Chinese built speakers are using different glue and components.

Bob Savage said:
I have yet to hear anything negative either sound or performance wise about the Chinese built Celestions. The fact of the matter is Celestion has been sourcing to China for ten years, and I believe was bought by a Chinese company 10 years ago. It wasn't until the Greenbacks went to China that people started making an issue of it. I have several friends at various smaller "boutique" amplifier company's that have done side-by-side comparisions, and if there is a difference, it's negligible.

I was not aware that any Vintage 30's were still made in England. Where did you hear Mesa was still receiving V30's mfg'd there? I'm also curious who your source is for the info that the Chinese built speakers are using different glue and components.

Right here Bob.
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Reviews/StilettoGP-05/StilettoGP-05.htm Guitar Player magazine. I didn't say anything about either being superior, just what Mesa says is the difference.

Guitar Player: The test cab came loaded with Mesa/Boogie’s proprietary Vintage 30 8Ω speakers, which, according to Mesa/Boogie’s Doug West, provide a crisper attack and tighter sound compared to the 16ΩVintage 30s commonly found in 4x12 cabinets. Most Celestion speakers are now assembled in China, but Mesa/Boogie’s are still made in England using old-fashioned air-dried adhesives, instead of modern fast-drying types. (Different adhesives have different weights and other properties, and speakers can be sensitive to these subtle tone-altering differences.)

Yeah, when I said "chinese" I meant the speakers. Kind of fooling around, once that many electronic parts on the equipment we use and love is assembled in China anyway.

Thank you all for your input, it helped me a lot on my decision! The TE cab price, converted to dollar, is around $350. The Triple XXX is around $750, and any mesa costs more than $1000. I heard some A-B's the latest owner (a good friend and brilliant guitarist) did with an Marshall cab with G12's, and it sounded a lot more "ballsy", a bit bassy and dark but ok.

Is there any suggestion from you guys to test the potential of a cab? I always try tweaking the EQ of an amp drastically through it, boosting bass, then mids, then treble at high volume, looking for any noise or signal that would be provided by bad coils or loose screws. Am I being stupid? :tickled: