Cheap guys guide to Bass guitar?

What is your preferred cheap man method of recording bass guitar?

• Buy a cheap bass guitar

Votes: 58 79.5%
  • Program using MIDI software (Trillian etc)

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • Pitched down guitar

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

setyouranchor

Celestial Recordings
May 17, 2010
North Wales, UK
So, decided to make a little poll as to what you guys do to make do when you can't get your hands on a decent bass guitar, or when things just arn't working out with it or whatever. Ideally yes, us non bassists would just borrow a decent bass for a couple days, but if that fails, what is your preferred method?

I'm only talking about making the most out of demos here, nothing world class!

Which would you guys prefer;

Buy a cheap bass guitar?
Program the bass using MIDI software? (Trillian etc)
Use your guitar but pitch it down a semitone?
Or other methods?

Would be cool to see peoples preferences and why :)

My favorite isn't on the list which is to make friends with a bass player. Seriously. This "I did it all myself" trend is way overrated. Few guys can pull it off (and those that do all seem to have the same drum sound). I understand it's easier but that doesn't mean it's best. Most of us benefit from collaborators.

This "I did it all myself" trend is way overrated. Few guys can pull it off (and those that do all seem to have the same drum sound). I understand it's easier but that doesn't mean it's best.
:err:
what does this have to do with anything about bass alternatives?

anyways. dude just buy a bass. play with 1 dynamic - as in dont play hard at all, just play very very very accurate, smooth and NOT loud at all. that way you can turn it up and it doesnt spike like crazy - this leads to less compression, less eq and better uses than trying to cover up a bad performance. its just cake to mix.

^ Oh wow, totally what I wouldn't do personally.

If you ever get a bass, I'd say to HIT IT HARD, MAKE IT YOUR BITCH AND GET THOSE STRINGS RATTLING. Be accurate for sure though.

:err:
what does this have to do with anything about bass alternatives?

anyways. dude just buy a bass. play with 1 dynamic - as in dont play hard at all, just play very very very accurate, smooth and NOT loud at all. that way you can turn it up and it doesnt spike like crazy - this leads to less compression, less eq and better uses than trying to cover up a bad performance. its just cake to mix.
Nice selective quoting. If you read the rest of my post it's obvious why it's relevant. The cheapest (and generally best) way to get bass tracks if you aren't a bass player is to get a bass player.
I also disagree with your technique recommendations. Yes play accurately, but play hard and evenly. If you are an inexperienced bass player you are going to naturally have a really uneven touch.

Yeah you don't want to play bass softly...

I vote get a bass, best solution if you want to do the bass yourself. Next I guess software. When I don't have a bass to use I just do pitch-shifted guitar though, personally.

Thanks for all the contributions guys :)

006 (or anyone else pitch shifting guitars), what are the results like? Do you pitch down by 1 semitone? And do you process and play like you would a normal bass? Sorry for all the questions haha

Looks like I'm just gonna get a second hand bass. Not mega keen on programming it, seems kinda cheating, but I'm open to anything! Never say never aye

^1 semitone? haha

oh, and as a do-it-yourself-er who's gone with the 'get a cheap bass' route i'd also suggest getting a big fat bass pick if you're not an actual bass guitarist. that's just me though.

I pitch it down 1 octave (as a bass should be normally) and then pretty much process it like I would a normal bass. This is how it sounds usually:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/794136/stonershit.mp3

For me it's good enough until I have material I want to do for real and at that point I would use a bass guitar - so far all my songs and clips just stay as demos though :lol:

nah not me man. for solo sections sure, make it agressive, ringouts, sure. but for everything else you get crazy sustain already. add a compressor and youve got your bang as well as being in tune. are any of you bassists?