Cheap guys guide to Bass guitar?

What is your preferred cheap man method of recording bass guitar?

• Buy a cheap bass guitar

Votes: 58 79.5%
  • Program using MIDI software (Trillian etc)

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • Pitched down guitar

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
Yes, I have played bass in two bands for a few years. Plus I have recorded a fucking metric ton of bassists. The best results are always playing it like you mean it, aggressive.

nah not me man. for solo sections sure, make it agressive, ringouts, sure. but for everything else you get crazy sustain already. add a compressor and youve got your bang as well as being in tune. are any of you bassists?

I'm a bassist. I think hard playing produces the best sound (I guess the term best is relative) and if sustain is a problem then maybe you need to look at your palm muting rather than the strength at which you hit your notes, I think that's the most common culprit for people who are getting lots of loud sustain.

I used to record it on guitar then use Melodyn to "extract" a midi file out of it, correct it a bit and then put it in a vst instrument but fu*k, this is a long process, and not really effective so I'll buy next week a Squier Jazz Vintage Modified bass. For what... 200-300$ you get a real bass sound!

Nice selective quoting. If you read the rest of my post it's obvious why it's relevant. The cheapest (and generally best) way to get bass tracks if you aren't a bass player is to get a bass player.
I also disagree with your technique recommendations. Yes play accurately, but play hard and evenly. If you are an inexperienced bass player you are going to naturally have a really uneven touch.

Indeed.
Arguably, as far as "Tone is in the fingers" goes, it's probably most important for bass guitar of them all.
If someone is going to buy a bass and start using it for recording purposes, it's definitely worth the while spending at least a few months developing a good consistent picking power (if we're talking about someone who already plays guitar anyway).
As a guitarist myself, I've always found it much much easier to keep to the click track and hit the strings consistently playing with a pick than fingers.
Whenever I try to play fingered bass, it always slips out of the timing pocket.

Nice selective quoting. If you read the rest of my post it's obvious why it's relevant. The cheapest (and generally best) way to get bass tracks if you aren't a bass player is to get a bass player.
I also disagree with your technique recommendations. Yes play accurately, but play hard and evenly. If you are an inexperienced bass player you are going to naturally have a really uneven touch.

Don't wanna sound gay, but I just wanted to mention I really enjoy reading all of your posts. Its always helpful and everything seems be based on real life experience. So thanks for posting at this forum!

Pitching down a guitar maybe can fill those deep frequencies but it does not make it sound like bass at all.
I just had the same problem until I bought a Squier Jazz Vintage Modified (which was suggested here in the forum). It works great for me.
Besides, I really enjoy fooling around with my new bass and have fun learning to play it, make it my bitch y'all know wha'I'm sayin...

Thanks for the love fellas. FWIW in the poll I voted for buying a bass b/c I think it can sound the best and will benefit you the most in the long run. Still, I do think it's worthwhile to try to find other people to work with who are good at the things you aren't.

If you're a guitarist playing guitar after playing the bass will become weird, the guitar will feel like a toy in your arms. If this does not concern you go with real bass. On the other hand programming bass with trillian might sound better since you'll control every hit (velocity, style) and your tone will always rock no matter what.

Just bought a vintage mod jazz bass last night, its amazing. sounds clanky and clunky and ugly and shitty as fuck I definitely recommend it for 300 you really can't go wrong and I'm sure you could get them even cheaper used.

You can also try Schecter ones. They are cheap and sounds good. Or you can pm me and I'll help you recording the bass track you need. It would be a pleasure to help you guys!. It's some kind of retribution for all the stuff and info I'm learning here

I prefer Vir2 or Prominy SR5 if bassist has low level..

But 5 years ago i bought Musicman Stingray 5... So if it is used by musician with high skill then result will be better (more deep, more detailed, more live) than any Virtual Instruments.

I think that any must have a one good bass like Fender JB, GL, Sandberg, Yamaha, Warwick or Spector (or any what you prefer)...
So It cost realy cheaper in USA than in Russia .

I used Korean Spector and Ibanez SR505 before i bought MM. I liked this basses, but it sounds not so good as Vir2.
I think Ibanez ATK - good cheap bass.

+1 on get a bass
there are cheap ones that can sound good, but looking for 2nd hand is even better.
But new strings on it and get hard. if you dont get hard it's not the right bass, because nice basses with new strings allready sound awesome on the DI track

I only use pitch shifting on the guitar in case of I dont have a bass at hand or cant borrow one in the near future. will hopefully have a good bass at home finally after easter

about how do play bass:
I think it depends on the music and the bass. if you have a cheap bass that rattles a lot I wouldn't play too hard...just find the right balance, because picking like a pussy is also not an option :D
Our bass player for example doesnt hit the strings as hard as me, but it looks much more controled. it doesnt look like he plays hard, but it sounds hard...if you get what I mean
I used to play way too hard (with pick), but it just generates more noise than br00talz for me...so try to hit the middleground
I have no idea how Sharlee D'Angelo manages to generate awesome bass tracks in Arch Enemy...it looks like he's raping the bass, but it sounds so cool :lol:
playing bass is also fun for me, even if I'm mainly a guitarplayer