Cheapest way to reamp????

I beg to disagree. I've done it with an X-Amp and straight from the 2626 into a TS and an amp.

The Prussian song on my website's player was done exactly this way. The last album I worked on, too, but unfortunately I can't post any clips before it's released.

It's not about what's right or wrong, it's about what sounds good and works for you. To the OP: Try it, you won't break anything.

I'm speaking on my own experience, so yes, your results may have varied.

If you see my other post I do in fact say the same thing you just did- try it, and if it works, then go for it.

I've always had this doubt

Can I replace/bypass the cab with one of these contraptions? (re-record line direct?)
And if so, does it sound like arse?
-As when compared to the traditional mic'ed stuff

Or else I misread this on some other reamping thread...

quoricsant said:
I've always had this doubt

Can I replace/bypass the cab with one of these contraptions? (re-record line direct?)
And if so, does it sound like arse?
-As when compared to the traditional mic'ed stuff

Or else I misread this on some other reamping thread...

Not without a load box for the amp

A reamp box provides rejection of noise picked up by the cable, and breaks ground loops. Also removes any DC offset from your line out.

With short cabling, good grounds, and an AC-coupled line out these advantages may not be required.

A reamp box also limits bandwidth and adds low-frequency distortion (primarily 3rd harmonic) in the transformer core.

These effects may be inaudible or close-to, but it's difficult to imagine how a signal passed from a DA interface to an amp through a transformer will be more identical to the recorded tone than if the transformer weren't there.

I've reamped from the output of a Delta 66 to a boost pedal using about 5-foot cable, the tone was pretty much the same as plugging the guitar straight into the boost. No noise, no hum.

Straight into the amp should be no different, although I've never dispensed with the pedal. So I can't say from experience.

A 1:1 transformer gave no improvement in noise, and any tonal difference was so subtle I may have been imagining it.

Had there been hum with the unbalanced connection, I would have expected the transformer to get rid of it, but there wasn't.

Bottom line is;

1) long cable runs generally need to be balanced (use a reamp box), short cable runs may be fine unbalanced. Same as any cable carrying low-level signals.

2) If there is mains-frequency hum, break the loop (use a reamp box).

There's too much variation in setups to say whether you need a reamp box. But there's no harm in trying without, and if there's no problem, fine.

Primarily, reamp boxes lower line level to instrument level, and convert low impedance line level to a high-impedance pickup-like signal. They also convert balanced to unbalanced. Going directly out from your interface actually should not be identical to plugging straight into a boost pedal.

If reamp box lower level to much (like Radial`s) even at maximum output level, then sound can be undergained, better to have 1 to 1 output and have ability to set level as you want by trim pot.

Primarily, reamp boxes lower line level to instrument level, and convert low impedance line level to a high-impedance pickup-like signal.

High-output pickups can swing over 1 volt peak. Line level is +4dBu which is 1.23V RMS, about 1.74V peak. There's not enough headroom for stepping down, unless your soundcard is exceeding line level out.

There's often 12-18dB of headroom between line level max and full scale, but signal quality is usually degraded.

The input of a tube amp and of almost every stomp box is sensitive only to voltage level. It doesn't care what impedance the source is.

EDIT: Distortus Maximus pedal would be an exception, BTW, as it doesn't buffer pedal's input filtering from the source. Would make a difference with passive pups, where the frequency response depends on interaction between reactances.of pup coil and DM input.

They also convert balanced to unbalanced.

And break groundloops. That's why they're useful when you need 'em.

Going directly out from your interface actually should not be identical to plugging straight into a boost pedal.

In the majority of cases it should be, and is.

The line out is a voltage source, and the pedal input is sensitive only to voltage.

Provided the guitar was loaded with an impedance equal to the pedal's input impedance when it was recorded, the voltage which appeared at the line input would be the same voltage which would have appeared at the stomp input.

Provided the line-out is calibrated to the same level as the line in was during tracking, the same voltage will appear at the line-out during reamping that appeared at the line-in during tracking.

Tonally, the weakest link should be providing the guitar with the right load during tracking.