Check out my DIY Recording Guide!

DanLights

Santa Hat Forever
Hey guys, I recently posted a free short guide for self-recording with decent quality standards. If you're a musician who wants to record at home and send it over to get mixed by someone else you should check it out! Also, if you're a producer who does online mixing often you might find it useful to send to bands as a reference to make sure the tracks are up to par and you're able to make a great mix with them. I reccomend downloading the PDF which is linked at the top of the page, but you can also read it directly on the website. Happy recording!

http://danlightsaudio.com/diyguide/

A lot of good information in there that I wish I had when I began learning recording and mixing. I mean, it's all in one place, so you don't have to Google or browse forums to find bits of information.

Well done!

Reactions: DanLights
I agree with how to tune the guitar. You pick as hard as you play. But the same is true with intonation. If you intonate with light picking it will still not be set up properly. If you don't want to learn how to intonate and adjust your neck, which I encoruage, find a luthier worth the name. He should ask you questions about string height, how hard you pick(preferably show him), string gauge and tuning. If not, go somwhere else. Otherwise the guitar will be set up to the luthiers preferences and it might be wrong for you. I've heard many times people been dissatisfied with their set ups and the reason is obvious. Avoid chain stores technicians because they don't give a shit. If you don't have any good luthier near where you live, learn to do it yourself. Read and watch videos. It will take some time to learn but it will be worth it in the end. I remember I read an interview with Fredman a long time ago and he said the problem with most bands is that they come in to the studio with guitars that won't do the job i.e poor set up. Make sure it's done before enter a studio and really want to use your guitar(s).